Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

relapsed...I don't know what to do or where to go

Notices

Old 03-18-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

I had almost 2 months of sobriety going, and I thought I could just stop going to meetings and be OK. Well that didn't work. Saturday night I started drinking and pretty much haven't really stopped. I drank a ton on Saturday and Sunday.... Yesterday I did a lot of sleeping, but there definitely were 7 or so drinks throughout the day. Probably more than that actually. I called in sick yesterday and now again today...

I'm trying to get into a detox center, but there's a wait list... so here I am. I don't know what to do. I've had a couple drinks just to try and fight off the anxiety, but I don't want to drink anymore... and I don't know if I should go to the ER or what. Should I just cold-turkey it and deal with the pain? Should I go in to the ER when the withdrawals really kick in? Should I keep adding in the one drink every few hours to come down easy?

man...i can't believe i did this....i just want to feel normal again and get back to what I know is right...
Old 03-18-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is a link with general information
and some of our experiences with withdrawal.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Many of us had false starts in sobriety
just begin again.....
Old 03-18-2008, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

What is done is done, since there is a waiting list for detox why not call either the AA hotline or someone you know in AA and let them know what is up. They may be able to sit with you through detox and get you to the emergency room quickly if needed.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When i was binging like you i was able to go cold turkey, not a Dr or advice just my experience , most of my binges were around 6 days, the last one was a month and was detoxed in a hospital for 3 days, my alcohol intake that last time was enormous so i decieded to get help with that one.
You should see a Dr about the detox , like i say we are all different.

Take care, John
Old 03-18-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm going to call my doctor. Will update soon.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

Paper;
My heart goes out to you, I completely understand the desperation you feel. Reading your post made me feel sick with thoughts of my own drinking. I don't miss feeling how you're feeling right now.
BUT......this can be the last time you feel this way if you work hard enough. I am new to sobriety myself, so I really can't give you any advice except to keep trying. Pick yourself up and try again. As for detox, I have never gone through that, I could binge and then quit......I'd be sick for a week......but I never felt as though I needed detox. So I can't give any advice on that. But PLEASE listen to those who have been there and have experience with needing detox. They can guide you in the right direction.
I hope to see you around here. I hope you can start over with your sobriety.
Hugs,
Tay
Old 03-18-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been there - thanks for your post and honesty. I have heard mixed about DT's and withdrawals so a Dr.'s opinion or a treatment counselors opinion would be good. My first time sobering up in November I detoxed at my parents house but still had to call the paramedics on the first night.

The suggestion to keep AA #'s handy in case you need to get to hospital seems reasonable, I know I could not do it on my own.

Take care and don't be afraid to ask for help, also, don't beat yourself up about having 2 months going, the important thing is that you continue to fight against your disease.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sometimes it's darkest before the dawn.

Reach out to someone in AA, NA or any other program, you sound a lot like me back in 2003........I have been happily sober ever since.

hugs to you
Seren
Old 03-18-2008, 11:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

Well I couldn't get in to see my normal doc after all, so I went to the ER. I don't recall the last time I had the shakes like that. They gave me some ativan that helped my nerves and some other stuff that stopped me from dry-heaving every 10 minutes.

Through the social worker who spoke with me in the ER, I discovered a residential treatment center right near my house. I called them, made the arrangements with insurance, and I'm already checking in tomorrow at 11AM for a 3+ week stay.

I'm so fortunate to have this opportunity. I won't be making any money while I'm in treatment, so financially this is going to sting, but really I needed to do this a long time ago.

I'll try and update once I'm out of treatment.

Thanks for listening.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A really really wise move ....

Keep in focus...you too can recover!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Paper good job, you will be in my prayers, give us an update as soon as you get back.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

Hi all. =] I completed treatment Tuesday 4/8 and I'm back at work today.

It wasn't easy being cooped up for 3 weeks but I really needed to be there. I'll be going to outpatient twice a week for a couple months and meetings most every other night. I'll be getting a sponsor as soon as possible.

I learned a lot in there and I'm so fortunate for having great insurance and an employer who worked with me on taking leave. It's funny...I'm picking up the mess I made in my relapse both literally and figuratively, and it's amazing how blind I was to how everything except drink was pushed aside and not worth dealing with. The bottle was my god, and I couldn't see it.

23 days sober and working my program one day at a time.

Thanks to all of you who read and/or replied to my original post. <3
Old 04-10-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!! Glad to hear that you are doing ok today!
Old 04-10-2008, 02:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good to see you back.
My experience was only with in-patient de-tox. (Well, one of my experiences, at least). They said go directly to a meeting. I, of course, knew better, was busy, tired, etc.....

I didn't make it 4 weeks.

And, like you, even though I only drank or month or so, the last de-tox was worse than the prior one !

My point is, is now that you're through the de-tox, to follow the suggestions and go to meetings, lots of them. Get a sponsor, work the steps.

I did, and I now have almost a year and a half.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Now you do know what to do and where to go!
Congratulations ...
Old 04-10-2008, 05:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Smile You beat me to it Carol.

I was going to say the answer was right there in the first post all along.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

MPA welcome back brother, you know what to do, you have done what you needed to do so far, you have the beast on the ropes right now, get to meetings, get a sponsor, follow suggestions, work the steps, I found the steps were the real knock out punch in dealing with the mental obsession to drink, sadly the beast is never dead, he is always there............ lurking........... just waiting for me to let my gaurd down, waiting for me to stop working my program which gives him an opening............................... then he slowly slides through that opening, not making much noise at all really, you see he is cunning and baffling, he lets me think I am okay, he works on me convincing me that"This time will be different."

Then BOOM, the knock out punch!!!! The drink passes over my lips and once again alcohol proves that I am powerless over it!!!!