Notices

Dexter/Showtime Series

Old 04-08-2008, 12:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dexter/Showtime Series

Does anyone else here watch Dexter on Showtime? It is being shown now on CBS I think on Sundays, has anyone seen it?

My question to those who have seen it is this: Do you not feel like Dexter does? Or did you not feel that way at some point during drinking days, like you had so much to hide? And you would do anything not to let people know? That is what watching that show brought to light for me. Sure I am not hiding that I am a serial killer, but I did have something to hide and was desperate for noone to find out. I would panic if someone showed up at my house un-invited for fear they might see the trashcan full of beercans. Or perhaps they would realize that I had just woke up at 3 or 4 in the afternoon for the first time that day. Or they would find the 5-6 boxes from the cases of beers I had drunk in the last few nights.

Idk, it's just that I get that feeling after watching that show. I actually enjoy it though, the show i mean.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I *have* been watching this show -
but more just trying to figure out what the heck is going on?

So that's it.
He's a serial killer?
Was he raised to be one?
Is that the deal with so many step dad 'flashback' scenes?

It's really been a puzzle for me.

But , sorry to say - nah - I didnt relate to him personally -
I just was curious what his trip was....
Old 04-08-2008, 12:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well no, he witnessed his mother being killed at age 3. Then he "became" inclined to killed after that. But the Cop that found him after his mothers death adopted him, and realized his problem. So he taught Dexter that he should channel his "need" to kill towards those that he deemed deserved it. So Dexter goes after those that he can prove through his research are guilty of a terrible crime, and he kills them if the courts dont do their "job" with said criminal. If you watch the show, what I meant by hiding something is that his girlfriend, sister, friends, and coworkers have no idea what he is or what he does after hours. That is how I was, no one had a clue that I would go home and get blitzed, and I would make excuses like Dexter does with his girlfriend that I just had work to do. Or anything like that, just so I could get home and booze. That is all I meant.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OHhhhhhhh... ok ...

I've had OTHER things I'd hide so yeah.

That's a few pieces to the puzzle of that show I just .. never could figure out.

LIke the guy who was 'coyote' for those immigrants ...
ok then.
that makes more sense.

heehee -
I didn't think you meant the killing need.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Also, I went through each and every day wondering if my friends and the folks that worked for me did know that I had been up binging all night. Or if perhaps i even smelled strongly of alcohol and they just wouldnt say anything to me. It is like on Dexter, bc the whole time at least through the first two seasons, he is stressed by wondering if they really know what he is all about but wont tell him. He feels like everyone is talking about him or looking at him much the way those that drink feel.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Barb, if you have Showtime on demand go back and watch the first season. I mean if that is something that interests you. If I hadnt seen the 4th episode of season one on CBS, and I had started at the first episode, I would never have watched again. I have told all of my friends how great the show is, but have told each of them to give it 4 or 5 episodes before they write it off.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just get ''welfare tv' just whatever is floating in the air.

Maybe I can get it through a friend or something ...
it does look interesting which is shy I keep going back to it.

I thought some of his 'inner revelations' were quite interesting.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

that is what got me hooked Barb is the "inner revelations". I dont agree with the fact that Dexters character doesnt believe in God though. But I tell you what, I would be willing to send you my dvd's of season 1(and 2 when it comes out) so that you can see the full series. I think it is great, problem is it keeps me up late because I just discovered it so I am trying to catch up with it on OnDemand. Every time an episode ends and it shows what will happen on the next one, I cant resist but go ahead and watch the next episode. LOL.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know - it's a 'sunday night & nothing else is on' thing here.
But - I'm actually LOOKING for it now.

I loved the bit with his g'friend's neighbor's dog...
that's what go me going back to watch it again.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yeah, that was a good episode where his girlfriend took the dog off to a good home. Speaking of, i think my dog probly needs to go out now, lol. If you pm me your address i would be glad to send you the dvd. Hey, we are family here, lol. Where is butte mt anyways? lol
Old 04-08-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Dexter is having problems with justifiable resentments. :-O
Old 04-09-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ohh I love Dexter... there is something for everyone in that show!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Never saw the show, but have had the hidden paranoia's. A knock on the door in the morning and house looking like a college dorm room after a keg party... I just returned bottles on Friday and got $44 & change. Most I ever had was like 70 something bucks. Not easy to hide in my tiny apartment, and those little friggin fruit flies in the summer. I have lived most of my life in a shell... and found out that most people knew, but just figured I was happy in it.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Interesting insight, WTNT.

I've seen some of the show a few times. M'lady will watch it when it is on.

I'm not much of a TV watcher. But, when it is on, the guy just creeps me out. Now I know why. He's so much like me!

Seriously, one of the greatest, unsung benefits of recovery is the dawning of an "open life." Hiding and deceit become unsconscious and second nature when our disease is active, even if our "normal" personalities are totally unlike that. Dumping that, along with planning and arranging our drinking environment is a huge weight lifted. Especially for those of us who lived "dual lives;" the productive professional and the alcoholic. The times when the two overlapped were the worst.

Now I'm just free to be me. I feel like I have shed layers of thrift store clothing and can now dress for any occasion.

You made me reflect on a positive today, WTNT. Thanks!

warren
Old 04-09-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Newcomers & Dexter

Hi,

I haven't had a chance to read the posts yet, but I love this show, and every time a newcomer comes to a meeting I think "I hope there only idea about 12 step programs DOESNT come from watching Dexter!" Sickest of the Sickest.

Most of my friends are shocked that I love this show....but I never miss it or the reruns!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Barb - IMO he might not ever have become a serial killer if his step dad hadn't started "training" him supposedly to "help" him. That is one of the more facinating things I am watching to unfold.

If we need to start a seperate thread on another place to just talk about this shwo and there are other fans....I'd be happy to participate
Old 04-09-2008, 11:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I reckon that'd be the Cafe' ...

I started a thread over there for us!

head 'em up ... chop 'em off... sink 'em deep ... rawHIDE!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...nues-here.html
Old 04-11-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I personally don't like the show. It is based on a lie which (to me) my drinking was. He takes matters into his own hands (control) and kills (revenge, anger, resentment, punishment, involving himself in others business, stalks, plans evil..ect.) All these are not the ingredients of spiritual fitness but quite the opposite...basically Dexter involves himself in matters that are God's.

Sooooo, to put it midly it teaches a very wrong message and if believed (like so many gullable young people will do) ...killing is justifyable.

I do believe in the death penalty (not to go there) but IMHO that is part of the law..and not a decision that comes lightly..but for murderers...necessary..(again, IMHO).