Notices

any thoughts on weaning ?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Good work, possiblyNuts

I don't believe that there is a right or wrong way to get sober... we all take the paths that we take. I weaned myself off alcohol, but not in such a regimented way. I also had numerous failures and slip ups along the way. I think the important thing for any alcoholic is getting sober...by any means possible.

Did I say good for you? You are an inspiration to others.
chip
Old 02-08-2008, 07:49 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...that is the thread I was sggesting.
And yes....
do put your experience in either
place not in both...

Blessings
Old 02-08-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Damn! Where was this thread when I cold turkey-ed it??

Seriously, PN, any way sober is a good way. I'm not sure if I would've been able to have the will power you do.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:55 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Great, so now you made it through without any dangerous withdrawl side affects. Now you need to start your path of recovery.

I've weened from alcohol several times. I was able to avoid severe symptoms and felt like schit but it worked for me. I just weened a few weeks ago and today have 15 days. I consider it amazing i didn't drink today.

Now me/you need to start the life of recovery. For me it's meetings and being able to call someone before i pick up the first drink.

I wish you luck man. I've been watching this thread for a couple weeks now.

Love you man,
Trace
Old 02-11-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by possiblyNuts View Post
I've been thinking about writing a "Unofficial and Amateur guide to weaning yourself off alcohol."
I dont think anyone with about a week or so sober should be worried about writing "How to..." books. Keep in mind,....cockiness is the direct road back to the drink. I suggest you simply thank God that you were able to ween thus far successfully. Remember, weening successfully stops the drinking for the time being, but, it doesnt deal with the underlying reasons why you drink. Until you deal with those, you will always relapse.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:04 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

"All great things must first bestride both terrifying and monstrous masks."-Nietzsche "The Dude Abides"
Old 02-11-2008, 06:13 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scarly-J View Post
Until you deal with those, you will always relapse.
I don't see how telling someone that they will definitely relapse has anything to do with being supportive.

Thanks for your opinion, I guess...
Old 02-12-2008, 04:07 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

nuts you beleive it or not have just finished the easiest part of all, stopping drinking, the hardest part begins the day after the last drink, staying stopped!

Congrats on your weaning off, I had to go through medical detox, I was about 5 years beyond the ability to wean off myself.

BTW what you did as far as weaning has been going on for hundreds of years, the only difference is usually some one else was in control of the booze.

When I came out of detox I was 6 days beyond my last drink and it was every thing in my power at that point in time to not stop and get a 12 pack, I was barely able to get home and to a meeting.

At 2 months sober I discovered my worst trigger, I was doing extremely well, the cravings were very minor and getting further and further apart. My trigger? ANGER!!!! No need for details, suffice it to say that I was absolutely enraged and if I had a beer or what ever I would have drank it, if there had been a 7-11 or what ever where I was I would have bought a 12 pack!!!!

The only thing that saved my butt from picking up was prayer and calling another recovering alcoholic to talk about it.

Alcohol is cunning, baffling, & powerful. I have seen people with many years of sobriety drink again and every problem that they had when they were drinking before was right back again only worse. I know of one guy who was sober for 6 months, started drinking again and was dead in a matter of months.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:20 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

possiblynuts, congrats on your sober time! This has been a great thread.

I agree that telling someone they will relapse is not supportive but issues that made you drink should be addressed. Understanding the whys behind the drink is huge!

Alcohol is not what is baffling or cunning...the liquid has no brain....it is the cravings and how your brain tries to convince you to drink which is baffling. How one reacts to the cravings is key to staying sober. You have a choice once the physical dependency is gone. You can decide to not listen to that voice...It is now in your hands....freedom comes when you learn to let go....Keep on keeping on!
Old 02-12-2008, 04:37 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Just wanted to say congrats on your clean time! I feel if writing helps keep you sober then do it. I personally go to AA,but not as often as I should being i have major responcibilities now. I use the on line fellowship along with my meetings to help keep me sober. I write about my day, my cravings and whats going on inside when ever I get a chance on line. I write everyday! Keep writing PN if it's going to help keep you sober. I'v been reading your post sence it started and I'm proud of you! ((((((((Huggies)))))
Old 02-12-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!
Old 02-12-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

There are lots of programs out there, some people never use a program, do what works for you.
Telling someone that they will relapse is not helpful at all, it's quite priggish.
I have watched this thread with great interest, Thank You.

Peace
Seren
Old 02-13-2008, 09:12 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovingseren View Post
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

There are lots of programs out there, some people never use a program, do what works for you.
Telling someone that they will relapse is not helpful at all, it's quite priggish.
I have watched this thread with great interest, Thank You.

Peace
Seren
For the record, I am hoping that I can do this on my own (well, I mean without AA/another programs, talking to everyone here does help a lot). BUT, if I do relapse, or I start having some insane cravings I am definitely going to goto AA or another program.

Thanks everyone, you guys have truly helped me through this. And I've made it two weeks sober now !

The only symptoms I'm still experiencing are some minor troubles sleeping. And a sneezing/cold that just won't go away.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:58 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

BUT, if I do relapse, or I start having some insane cravings I am definitely going to goto AA or another program.
Being willing if you need to is the key, if you need a program go for it, if you don't that is cool, what ever works. For me the stopping was never a probelm (except the last 5 years) , it was the staying stopped that kicked my butt!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Well, I've made it 3 weeks sober! I'm feeling much better than I have in a long time.

Thanks to everyone who gave me support, it has made this whole process much easier.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:48 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Wow three weeks!!! Way to go!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:52 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Weird, I got more grats for making it one week than I did for three weeks. Oh well, I'm feeling great.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:55 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

LOL

I have been away for a while, congrats to you on 3 Weeks!!

Seren
Old 02-23-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

PN, if I may ask... What are your plans now? ... What's next for you?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
PN, if I may ask... What are your plans now? ... What's next for you?
Basically I'm just doing everything I did before (hobbies, work, etc)... Except I'm sober. Oh, and I'm not hanging around with old friends that drink, and I'm avoiding places that might lead me to start drinking again (pool halls, bars, etc).