Notices

any thoughts on weaning ?

Old 02-02-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Lurker

Well it would give some time to think about not taking that first drink.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:32 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

If you are an alcoholic like me, there is something physical inside you that means you will crave more when you pick up a drink.

I needed time - the time to the bottle shop was enough for me to think through what would happen if I drank. You need 7 minutes to overcome the physical craving.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:50 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Yesterday went well, aside from some feverish feelings. I had some trouble sleeping, but it wasn't too bad.

Things are looking good!
Old 02-03-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

possiblyNuts, I am with you, keep up the good work.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:58 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

PS,
I am cheering you on all the way.

Seren
Old 02-03-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by possiblyNuts View Post
Maybe you should read the whole thread before passing judgement? I've already mentioned that I am a caregiver for my elderly grandmother. I look out for her both physically, and monetarily. I don't have the money to check myself into rehab (even outpatient programs are expensive). And I can't just take off work for a week or two to check myself into rehab...
Uh, I was just giving you my opinion based on experience. Im not sure where I passed judgement, but, it seems you attacked me rather quickly. All I was saying was that every single alcoholic comes up with excuses why they cant do treatment. I did. I came up with very valid reasons. These reasons kept me drinking. In my experience, if an alcoholic could wean, then, where is the problem??? An alcoholic being able to wean, goes against the very definition of alcoholism. The act of weaning suggests consumption-control. This is the whole reason alcoholics are alcoholics. The inability to control. I just thought this site was here for experiences, opinions, and research. I give these, and then get attacked??? Interesting....
Old 02-03-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

By the way, they're programs to take care of your issues keeping you from treatment. I didnt have a dime to my name. Literally. ZERO. I managed to get 28 days treatment financed by my state. All I had to do was inquire. My point is, if your weaning does not work and you continue to drink and it progresses (because thats what this disease does,...every failed attempt is followed by progression) then what level of care could you be giving your grandmother? Doesnt she deserve the highest level of care a sober person can give? Also,...if you go to your employer and tell them you are an alcoholic and need help, legally, they MUST retain your job while you seek treatment. Most companies even have programs in place where they fully fund treatment.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:10 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

All I said was maybe you should read the whole thread before passing judgement. Not sure how that is attacking anyone.. You obviously read the first post and made your first reply before reading the whole thread.

Anyways.. Yesterday went well. Minimum withdrawal symptoms, mainly some headaches (not sure if thats even related) and of course problems sleeping. Watching the superbowel sober was kind of strange! I'm glad the Giants managed to win even though part of me wanted to see the patriots have a perfect season.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

When was your last drink possiblynuts? I want to mark it on my calendar and rout for ya!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:39 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

This is flat-out incredible, PN. Grats to you. I could never do it...weaning for me usually ended with me in the ER.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:37 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...
I never tried to wean....so I find this thread interesting.
Obviously...PN is making positive progress and thats super!

I also did not go to a de tox nor a treatment center.
I've been happily AA sober for years.

One of the points for this site is to support each
other as we share a diversity of journeys.

What worked for me is all I can offer.

With that in mind....
Forward we go...side by side.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RufusACanal View Post
When was your last drink possiblynuts? I want to mark it on my calendar and rout for ya!
It was last Wednesday (1-30), almost a week! I'm feeling better and better every day. Thanks for the support everyone.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Way to go!!!!
Old 02-05-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Congrats PN, good to hear things are working out for you!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:29 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

It was last Wednesday (1-30), almost a week! I'm feeling better and better every day. Thanks for the support everyone

That is AWESOME possiblynuts!! I haven't been on here for a few days - been kind of a crappy week - and it was nice to see this thread and you doing so great.

I do think it's more than a bit unfair to imply that if someone can wean, than they weren't really an alcoholic in the first place (not that being an alcoholic is so great lol). Weaning is incredibly difficult and obviously not anyone's first or best choice for quitting, but sometimes circumstances are what they are, and all the more credit to you for doing it, possiblynuts.

Keep going!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 01:18 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Krissy 72 View Post

That is AWESOME possiblynuts!! I haven't been on here for a few days - been kind of a crappy week - and it was nice to see this thread and you doing so great.

I do think it's more than a bit unfair to imply that if someone can wean, than they weren't really an alcoholic in the first place (not that being an alcoholic is so great lol). Weaning is incredibly difficult and obviously not anyone's first or best choice for quitting, but sometimes circumstances are what they are, and all the more credit to you for doing it, possiblynuts.

Keep going!!!
Thanks! Today has been great as well.

I've wondered about the alcoholic weaning issue as well. I'm still not sure whether being able to wean successfully proves that the person isn't an alcoholic.. I've come to the conclusion that it depends on what your definition of alcoholism is. If not being able to stop after that first drink is involved in the definition, then I suppose that being able to successfully wean might prove that one isn't an alcoholic.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I think it is more along the lines of - "Have you ever had the experience of not being able to control the amount you drink once you start" - not that it necessarily happens every time you touch alcohol.

More of a bomb waiting to explode..you never know when that craving will become paramount to all other things, or if it will even develop at all on 1 drink, 2 drinks, 3 or four - at some point we lose control of our consumption.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Well, I've made it a week, and I'm feeling really good. I've been thinking about writing a "Unofficial and Amateur guide to weaning yourself off alcohol." Of course I'll be sure to mention at the beginning that I definitely recommend being professionally detoxed (outpatient, or inpatient), and that "I'm not a Doctor, I can't officially recommend this, so take everything I write with a grain of salt, and it is definitely best if you seek professional help." I understand that most alcoholics cannot successfully wean themselves off of alcohol. But I think an unofficial guide might help those that can. And, even if some people try and fail, it might be that first step that they need before realizing that they definitely need professional treatment. Any thoughts on this? As usual, I'm open to opinions.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:14 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please check out the top sticky post here.
Read through it and then
you may add your de tox experience there if you wish.

Or...begin a new thread down here.

Good to know your doing well...
Old 02-07-2008, 10:26 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Please check out the top sticky post here.
Read through it and then
you may add your de tox experience there if you wish.

Or...begin a new thread down here.

Good to know your doing well...
Do you mean the "Quitting..What to expect ..What we did" sticky'd post ? I have read through it about a week ago. Someone recommended that I read through it (I forget who exactly, I think its in this thread somewhere).

If I do write up some sort of guide, I will most likely put it in a new thread. Anyways, its getting late here, I'm off to bed.