Notices

any thoughts on weaning ?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:59 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I did it myself (did the weaning over 2 weeks) and had no rules about how much and how often - I just drank a bit when I felt ill. After a week of no drink (3rd week) I threw away the rest of the drink I had kept as detox medicine (booze as detox medicine. Yep, that sounds reasonable).

Anyway possiblyNuts, it's a big step from a little booze to no booze, so maybe it's a good idea not to jump too soon, and perhaps you should keep a bit of medicine in reserve after you quit (that you can dispose of once you have safely detoxed).

Regarding your detox symptoms, I would have seen a doctor but I'm not in your shoes so I can't judge.

Best wishes.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I am a pretty heavy drinker and will be dead sooner than later if I don't stop. Weaning hasn't worked for me. So I went to my doctor and explained the situation. He congratulated me for taking this step and prescribed some anti-seizure medication and sent me along. I looked at the full bottle last night and it was filled last May.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:30 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Walk View Post
I am a pretty heavy drinker and will be dead sooner than later if I don't stop. Weaning hasn't worked for me. So I went to my doctor and explained the situation. He congratulated me for taking this step and prescribed some anti-seizure medication and sent me along. I looked at the full bottle last night and it was filled last May.

So are you saying that you have not been able to quit, or ended up not needing the medicine at all?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
So are you saying that you have not been able to quit, or ended up not needing the medicine at all?
I was wondering what exactly he meant by that as well..

Its 11:29 and I haven't had my drink yet (I'm waiting until right before I goto sleep).. And I don't feel bad at all! Maybe tomorrow I will cut it down to 1 shot instead of two.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Day 5 went very well. Minimum withdrawals. I actually slept really well! Like a rock actually, I don't think I woke up once.

It is weird looking at the 1.75litre bottle of vodka that is still almost full (I bought it on friday specifically for the weaning).. And to think, I would have drank that in about two days before! I would have been through at least 2.5 of those by now! Among other things, going sober is going to save me a lot of money.

Still haven't decided if I'm going to cut down to 1 shot tonight, or wait until tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Here's to you, you are one of thousands.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by possiblyNuts View Post
An ideal situation would be checking myself into recovery, but that isn't possibly.. because of reasons I won't go into detail here.

You should start by asking yourself why you wont go into detail on why you wont go into treatment. Ive always been told (and absolutley believe) that we will always fail in recovery if you begin by listing things we are not willing to try. Treatment centers or rehab centers are never "convenient" for anyone. Its part of the commitment to sobriety. My substance abuse doctor told me that if you are successful at weining, its most likely because you were never an alcoholic. There is out-patient treatment, too. Maybe you should look into that. Trying this alone is fool-hardy and very dangerous.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:49 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scarly-J View Post
You should start by asking yourself why you wont go into detail on why you wont go into treatment. Ive always been told (and absolutley believe) that we will always fail in recovery if you begin by listing things we are not willing to try. Treatment centers or rehab centers are never "convenient" for anyone. Its part of the commitment to sobriety. My substance abuse doctor told me that if you are successful at weining, its most likely because you were never an alcoholic. There is out-patient treatment, too. Maybe you should look into that. Trying this alone is fool-hardy and very dangerous.
Maybe you should read the whole thread before passing judgement? I've already mentioned that I am a caregiver for my elderly grandmother. I look out for her both physically, and monetarily. I don't have the money to check myself into rehab (even outpatient programs are expensive). And I can't just take off work for a week or two to check myself into rehab...
Old 01-31-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Day 6 went well. I cut it down to 1 shot of vodka. I kept waking up, but I still managed to get some decent sleep.

This is working out better than I expected. I might actually try to skip the shot tonight altogether.. Still haven't decided for sure though.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This is an interesting thread PN

Good to see your progress!
Old 02-01-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Day 7 went great! I decided to skip the alcohol altogether and it was my first day without a drink in over a year! The withdrawals last night and this morning haven't even been bad at all. Mainly sweating, I've also had some headaches and muscle aches/cramps. So far I've had no hot/cold flashes or shakes. Last night I got some alright sleep, but kept waking up and tossing and turning the whole night. I'm either going to take half a shot tonight before I goto sleep, or try to go cold turkey from here on out. I guess it depends on how bad the withdrawals get by tonight.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hey there, PN,

Thanks for this thread, I'm sure many will find it useful! Sounds like you're almost there, thats great! Keep up the good work.

You most likely will have to be off the sauce for several weeks before sleep settles down, but what a great feeling when it does!!!

Have a good weekend!
S
Old 02-01-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

i am in the process of weaning myself off. i have tried it many times, and for the first time it's working - going from over 4 litres of terrible wine per day in addition to vodka and/or bourbon to a couple of standard beers. i have also tried many detoxes supplemented with benzos. i'm at a point where i do know my body physically very well. what others have said before me is very important - do not hesitate to call an ambulance. if you are serious about it, and it really does not work for everyone, have lots of water on hand, nutrtious food and a phone on standby. i'm assuming you're in america and i'm not quite sure how it works there but i know that in britain and australia there are many home detox programs with nurses and counsellors visiting you, and not necessarily with benzos or other drugs.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:37 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Well done Nuts.

I'm seriously impressed.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

PN....
Please check out this link
it might help with your sleeping problem

Insomnia? 41 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Forward we go...side by side
Old 02-01-2008, 09:08 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
PN....
Please check out this link
it might help with your sleeping problem

Insomnia? 41 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Forward we go...side by side
Thanks!

This morning was fine, but early this afternoon I started getting some symptoms. I'm still having them, feverish type feelings. It isn't too bad though. 11:07 Now and I still haven't decided if I'm going to have half a shot tonight or not. I don't think I'm going to though.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:37 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Yea, don't do it el duderino....I'm not into the whole brevity thing.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beardfish View Post
Yea, don't do it el duderino....I'm not into the whole brevity thing.
lol.

Day 8 went well. Aside from the minor feverish feelings. I managed to get some good sleep (after hours of tossing and turning). And I didn't even take the half shot. So this is day 3 without alcohol, and day 9 of the whole weaning experience.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Lurker

Do me a favor, and just through that poison away.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostmdboy View Post
Do me a favor, and just through that poison away.
Eh, it would hardly make a difference if I actually wanted to drink.. Theres a liquor store about three blocks from my house.