Notices

8 mons down the drain

Old 01-17-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 mons down the drain

I had almost 8 1/2 months under my belt until I relapsed last Friday night. Drank pretty heavy every night until tonight. I'm too sick to hit the liquor tonight and just drank a beer a few minutes ago to ward off withdrawal. I have resolved to try to find outpatient detox tomorrow after after work, because by them withdrawal will be starting to hit me. I run my own business and can't just drop everything during the week. I'm hoping I can detox over the weekend and be in good enough shape to get to work on Monday.

I've never been to a doctor or hospital to be treated for withdrawal. Should I just go into the emergency room and tell them my problem? What about those doc-in-a-box places?

When I quit last May after a pretty long drinking jag, I went cold turkey and detox was a nightmare. The DTs lasted almost a week and I got real close to pink elephant land. I'm in my forties and a Type 1 diabetic, which means I'm at greater risk for heart attack and stroke, so I don't think it's a good idea to try to gut it out this time without medical help.

Needless to say I'm really mad at myself. I was doing pretty good, made it through the holidays, but last Friday I just couldn't seem to make it past that liquour store that stares at me on the way home.

I appreciate the help and support I get from this forum.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would go to the ER if I were you. Alcohol withdrawl kills people. I am not too sure about the doc in the boxes. Do you have a primary doctor that you see? They would be able to help you.

I am glad your getting sober again. Don't beat yourself up. You still have the experience of the 8 months that you were sober.

I am glad your here. Keep posting.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your experience of 8 mos is KEY. You may have lost the days of abstinence but the beautful thing about spiritual truths is they are constants/absolutes that are timeless. God doesnt give and take away. Only we do that.

Remember what you had in spiritual experience - true sobriety. Take what you can and leave the rest. The drinking is done. Now get back up. Next right thing.

One bit of advice, I relapsed last summer after 8months too...what I found really helpful is journal ASAP what you expected to get, did you get it, what could you have gotten if you would have NOT drank, was it really that bad to wait? Which was better in the end...compare to all the nights you didn't drink>? WRITE IT DOWN. It is was a lifesaver for me, I was so shocked at what I saw I actually convinced myself the binge was not just bad because it was wrong, but chose NOT to want it again. I think I was fantasizing to some degree that buzz or whatever ..even if it didn't last that long.

Truth is, it wasn't worth it. I mean it REALLY wasnt worth it to fantasize. I have a new fantasy now..spiritual fitness.

Be well.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I am sure you're doing the right thing by seeking medical help at the ER, or through your own dr.

You will get through this and get back on track!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hi Boater62,

Can't really offer much advice about medical care (I'm Canadian & don't know much about your health care system). But diabetic & in your forties? Definitely get medical assistance just to be careful.

Your 8 1/2 months is not "down the drain". I went 13 months sober/moderating but had a blow out 31 days ago. I'm a month sober and no more "moderating"! Whatever you did to stay sober for 8 1/2 months will definitely help you now. You will get back on track and be stronger.

Best wishes.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tanyapmc View Post
I would go to the ER if I were you. Alcohol withdrawl kills people. I am not too sure about the doc in the boxes. Do you have a primary doctor that you see? They would be able to help you.
I do have a primary care doc, but he is a personal friend and I sometime see him and his wife socially. Would be too embarrassing. I need detox anonymous, which I guess me the ER.

Thanks. I'm mad at myself, but know I'm not in as bad shape as I was last May.

I told myself last week that I need a break from job stress -- a standard excuse of a drunk.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
Your 8 1/2 months is not "down the drain". I went 13 months sober/moderating but had a blow out 31 days ago. I'm a month sober and no more "moderating"! Whatever you did to stay sober for 8 1/2 months will definitely help you now. You will get back on track and be stronger.

Best wishes.
Thanks. I'm feeling a little more optimistic. I've accomplished a lot during the 8 months as far as getting my life back together. And for the most part, I enjoyed my sobriety. The holidays were hard on me this year and I think they laid the groundwork for my relapse.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Boater -

welcome (or, welcome back if that is more appropriate)

I'm much relieved to see you're seeking medical advice and asistance/supervision with our detox ... and feel I have to thank you for your honesty about other conditions. You never know who your posting that you've "other medical concerns" will help.

So ... have you gotten your eight months by not drinking on your own, or are you considering a program of recovery... how did you get those eight months?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!

I too strongly suggest a medically supervised de tox.

Here is a link you might want to read

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Keep in focus...many of us had false starts
before we found long term sobriety!
Old 01-18-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Boater hang in there. 40's and diabetic, combined with your description to me add up to doing a medically supervised detox. Please do not hesitate to call 911 if things start getting a bit hairy before you get to the doctor. Every detox is worse then the one before, so it sure sounds like you will need to be medically detoxed.

You had 8 1/2 months sober, hold your head high, you still have that experience to help you this time. Obviously you were doing something right to stay sober that long, take what you were doing and add to it, go above and beyond what you did before. You may want to consider getting into some sort of long term recovery program, especially if you were staying sober on your own.

Getting and staying sober alone never worked for me, Lord knows I tried 100s of times, I went into AA because it was reccommended after I came out of detox and I have found that staying sober with other alcoholics helping me while I help them stay sober is a lot easier.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Boater,
I think the thing about relapse is to learn from it.

I think you have learned that you don't want to drink, and I think you learned that detoxing can be awful.

Use what you have learned, go to detox, don't die of embarassment, seek medical help.
Find a program, any program, and work it.

You can turn your life around.

Seren
Old 01-18-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

would you kick yourself if your diabetes had caused your blood sugar level to elevate, causing you to seize or faint?

no difference....diabetes does what it does, just as alcoholism does what it does...you drank cus you have alcoholism.....dust your knees off, and get back up, and do what u gotta do....it aint over...just a bump in the road.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Boater62

Nobody can take away the 81/2 months of sobriety you had. You can get it again. It's time for a fresh start.

Many of us have bumpy or false starts. I hope you'll try again, and keep us posted. Seeing your doctor is a very good idea. Please let us know how you are doing,k?
chip
Old 01-19-2008, 12:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No, no, no 8 1/2 months of sobriety is not "down the drain". Those 8 months are something to build upon. I know your liver is thanking you for those 8 months!

Tiburon

In Recovery Since 2002