Notices

Advice on my alcohol withdrawal

Old 11-01-2007, 03:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice on my alcohol withdrawal

Hi.

Could someone please give me advice on how long the physical symptoms of alcohol withdrawal lasts for.

I have just turned 24 years old and am on day 3 of my detox. I have been drinking for about 6 months, a bottle of burbon every night. I decided to give it up because i have put on so much weight from drinking, i don't enjoy it anymore, it is ruining my life, and most importantly it started damaging my liver and i have been experiencing bleeding from places i shouldn't be. It scared me when my doctor told me my liver was failing, but i was selfish and continued drinking for a while. But i finally stopped am on day/night 3 and still not feeling so good. My head is killing me, my body is trembling, i have the sweats, i'm feeling very nauseous and i have diarrhoea. There are many other effects it is having, anxiety is at it's peak. But i was diagnosed with BPD, Agoraphobia, Panic Disorder etc 3 years ago so that part of it is nothing new. I am most concerned about how long the nausea and diarrhoea lasts for? It's been 3 days now so i'm hoping it wont be much more longer??? Can someone please give me some advice on this, i'd really appreciate it.

I have been in Rehab before, but my drug of choice back then was Cannabis. However i have been off that for 3 and a half years now and very proud of myself. But in the end i kinda just substituted with the grog. Both detoxes are as hard as each other but kinda different with some of the symptoms. I just can't wait to feel well again and have the motivation to meet up with my friends without any embarrassing experiences ie. nausea and diarrhoea. I haven't left my unit yet.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi -
Welcome!

What does your doctor say about your symptoms?

For me - I wanted to remember every miserable moment of it.
But - I was also medically advised and supervised.
Pretty much.
I interviewed for this job in that shape.
Literally had to sit on my hands to hide them.

Man. You brought back some memories.
Thanks!

Things like symptomology ... is one of those things we're supposed to be sure you understand we're not medical folk and therefore not qualified to advise on that stuff...
It's also different .. with each alcoholic.

There's different factors ... that's what makes it uncool for anyone here to give that kind of advice. I'm hoping you're in touch with your doctor, and they can answer some of your questions.

I'm also
*ahem*
twice your age, so what *I* experienced ...
is going to be different ...
than what you are experiencing.... see what I mean?

I *can* tell you thyat this is a good place to be... and please affirm you're communicating with our doc. Alcohol is the only drug you can die from quitting cold turkey. According to all these medical sites.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't say how long, becuase our bodies are different.

There too many factors. i drank a bottle everynight, but
it wasn't a bottle of beer. And i'm not a Jack man,
I do the 151 clear. i think i was also getting
alcohol poisoning, poisoning. the last time i relapsed.
I drank for 2-weeks. but it took me almost a month
before I felt my body recovered from the poisoning.
Plus i can down with a nasty flu.

drink alot of water so you don't de-hydrate.
A sign of dehydrations is color in your urine.

The headache is from the lack of suger that your body
had gotten accustom to from the suger in the alcohol.

Have consider that you just might be getting sick
also or sometype of stomuch flu...on top of detoxing.

do keep in touch with your doctor.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I will give you the best advice you will get.

See a doctor ASAP!!!!!

Alcohol withdrawals can and do KILL!!!!!!!

If you already have liver damage you will more then likely suffer severe possibly deadly withdrawals with out medical attention.

See a doctor ASAP!!!!!

BTW the 3rd day was when they had to up my anti-siezure meds when I detoxed, you may be a long way from being out of the woods!!!!

See a doctor ASAP!!!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Please read the information on this link
especially page 3.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

Yes I too suggest an honest talk with your doctor
is best.

Keep posting...we do understand
Old 11-01-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your post makes it sound as though you are not under direct medical supervision. With your drinking history, you should be. As in being admitted to a detox unit or seeing an MD with detox experience at least daily. Your blood pressure needs to be monitored. Detoxing alone can be life-threatening. Taz says it just above; he knows. Many of us are here hoping you will do well.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It was about a week or maybe a little more until I had a good, solid poop. (Ewwww...I know). That's also when the worst of the nausea went away.

However, the nausea persisted (in the mornings) for maybe 4 or 5 months.

The anxiety was a good month or more until it calmed down. Step work helped that too.

We're all different though. My de-tox was at home and extremely bad. I'm pretty sure I came close to dying. It felt that way at least. I do know the previous time (I was medically supervised) my BP was 210 over 160....

Anyway, I agree with Taz, go see a doctor. You could stroke out, have a heart attack, or seize.

Edit: You still have insomnia and "the itchies" to look forward too !
Old 11-01-2007, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone about seeing a doctor. As a former nurse, I can tell you that what the others said about the blood pressure being elevated during withdrawals, that can be FATAL in combination with a liver problem. You are already having problems with bleeding and the high blood pressure will only make this worse and it CAN KILL YOU!

PLEASE go see a doctor.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-01-2007, 08:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi TorRox,

I was detoxed in a hospital situation because the closest Detox was 90 miles away. I did not have to experience any of the withdrawal symptoms. I was in the hospital six days. :ghug3

kelsh
Old 01-19-2008, 03:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question/concerns. I really do appreciate it

I ended up getting through that detox i was worried about, but have to be honest in saying i have relapsed at the moment. Well, i really only lasted about 7 days off it and then thought i could drink one night a week, obviously doesn't work that way though.

Have just broken up with my partner of 2 years, so am relying on the grog i guess. Bleeding and all other worries have come back, but i only have myself to blame for that. I have a goal set to stop it all again on Monday, i just hope that i stick to it. Emotions are running high at the moment, but i am 24 years old and am no where near where i wanted to be at this age. I know that i need long term rehab at the moment, but i also know how much strength i have in me, problem is though i just want to do it all alone. From my previous addictions and achievements i have learnt a lot about myself and have so much insight, just trying to kick this at such a hard time is taking over the great amount of strength i have. Feel like i'm in a black hole that i can't get out of. I know i can though, i know i can do this, so i am not giving up on myself just yet!!

Thank you again for every single reply, and hopefully when i sign back in i will be in a different mind frame...a very positive one!!
Old 01-19-2008, 03:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Tor -
we're here. You've got some choices to make.

at 24 ... there's so very much more in life to center your life around than alcohol...