Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

why do recovering alcoholics drink so much coffee?

Notices

why do recovering alcoholics drink so much coffee?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I used to drink a lot of coffee, then I stopped putting sugar in it, and suddenly I found myself drinking about a third as much as I had been
must try that nolonger
Old 12-10-2007, 07:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shugabooga View Post
just a bad habit left over from our hangover days?
Nope!! Survival!!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I live in the pacific northwest, so I have to support the coffee industry. If I didn't, the economies of Seattle and Portland would collapse, just like Detroit and the Auto Industry.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

I drink ALOT since I got sober - lots of watre and lots of coffee which is a huge treat for me LOVE IT!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I don't drink much coffee. The only time I drink coffee is I will have one cup of decaf at the meetings I attend, depending on how strong the coffee looks. I don't like strong coffee. I wonder if I even like the coffee as it is probably more cream than coffee by the time I get done putting cream in it. Justin is right though in the Pacific Northwest there is at least one coffee shop on every corner. It is almost a sin not to like coffee. I fake it though and drink a lot of chia tea.

Probably my biggest reason for not drinking a lot of coffee is I limit my caffiene since I fight with insomnia.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am a Starbucks addict. I buy it by the bag and grind it for home and office. I also use tablespoons of sugar in my Bold Yukon. It's familiar and friendly and warm.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Always adored coffee, i don't think my consumption has changed when drinking or sober. I manage about a dozen cups a day with half of those in the morning,maybe that's old habits continuing but i love it.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've been drink more caffeinated drinks since I started to sober up, but it hasn't become a major issue, yet!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm a huge coffee guy, especially when I don't have to go to work. I'll finish a whole pot in a morning. I have a friend from AA and I always joke around with him since I've seen him drink 6 cups in one meeting. He said quite simply: anything I drink, I drink as much of it as fast as I can. Although it's kinda funny I can relate to him (which is even funnier).
Old 12-10-2007, 02:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
"Grateful to be Sober."

I'm not into coffee that much - if im v tired i will love nothing more than a huge mug of it though. My fav is tea tho - omg i get through litres of it- have a big red flask i fill up and drink drink drink! I actually get a headache now if i dont have any throughout the day- its withdrawing frm the caffiene lol. But hey ho- least it's not booze now!
Old 12-10-2007, 03:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Has no-one here ever read page 135 ?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

i drink a double shot of espresso in the morning, and one more in the afternoon. its been this way forever, even when drinking booze.

i guess the most glaring character defect I possess is the need to control...everything.....so, I delude myself that I can control my caffeine consumption, but in truth, I am v addicted to it, and it does control me. For example: I cannot go a day without it without getting headachy and grumpy and unclear.

i live peacefully with this habit for now. in ffact, calling it a mere habit doesn't quite do it justice. morning espresso making and drinking is like a sacred ritual, with its cozy warmth, the hissing steam, the intense aroma, the little preheated cup... boy. I look forward to tomorrow already.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by savoy View Post
Has no-one here ever read page 135 ?
I haven't.... what's on page 135?? :bounce
Old 12-10-2007, 03:57 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shaktee View Post
I haven't.... what's on page 135?? :bounce
http://anonpress.org/bb/Page_135.htm

"Here is a case in point...."
Old 12-10-2007, 05:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I drink coffee a couple times a week. I also drink cola every day. Make Latees' in the summer when we are camping. Enjoy coffee now but have to watch amount of caffine with my meds...get too jittery.

Couldn't drink coffee when drinking....got too shaky!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:22 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I don't really like coffee but everyone else was doing it! ;-)
Old 12-11-2007, 05:37 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Savoy you bring up a good point, when I went into detox the best advice I was given by one of the leading alcoholism/addicition researchers in the country was not to try quitting smoking and drinking at the same time.

He told me to focus on my main problem first which was my alcoholism, he told me once I was on solid ground with my sobriety to tackle the smoking.

Well I quit smoking on Sept. 18th 2007, my one year sobriety date, the 12 steps of AA and a solid year of being sober helped me immensely, I am slowly finding that my coffee intake is going down, I know I still drink to much coffee, but I am doing better, drinking to much coffee has far less impact on my health and those around me then my drinking or smoking ever did!

I am progressing, I will never be perfect, but I will continue to progress, one day at a time, one thing at a time.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:56 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I don't mean to get all "preachy", but since this topic has mentioned those who do not drink coffee, and bring bottled water with them, may I suggest the following...

Buy a water bottle, not bottled water. Months ago, I was tired of buying bottled water all the time. A friend of mine started bringing a water bottle to meetings. He said that he just bought a good water bottle and fills it with one of those Brita water filter pitchers at home, before heading to a meeting.

I started doing that and have saved tons of money, plus it's better for the environment. I went to a camping store, and bought one of those Nalgene 32oz water bottles. They are indestructible, the wide mouth bottles are easy to clean, and last forever. Grant it, they cost around 8 to 12 dollars, plus the Brita filters are kind of pricey, however it's still cheaper than constantly buying bottled water, where the water is rarely better than what comes out of your tap.

It's staggering how much plastic is manufactured to make bottles for bottled water. Also landfills across the nation are filling up quicker with the bottles that take thousands of years to bio degrade.

Ok, I'm done with my public service message.

Tom
Old 12-11-2007, 06:31 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Signal30 View Post
I don't mean to get all "preachy", but since this topic has mentioned those who do not drink coffee, and bring bottled water with them, may I suggest the following...

Buy a water bottle, not bottled water. Months ago, I was tired of buying bottled water all the time. A friend of mine started bringing a water bottle to meetings. He said that he just bought a good water bottle and fills it with one of those Brita water filter pitchers at home, before heading to a meeting.

I started doing that and have saved tons of money, plus it's better for the environment. I went to a camping store, and bought one of those Nalgene 32oz water bottles. They are indestructible, the wide mouth bottles are easy to clean, and last forever. Grant it, they cost around 8 to 12 dollars, plus the Brita filters are kind of pricey, however it's still cheaper than constantly buying bottled water, where the water is rarely better than what comes out of your tap.

It's staggering how much plastic is manufactured to make bottles for bottled water. Also landfills across the nation are filling up quicker with the bottles that take thousands of years to bio degrade.

Ok, I'm done with my public service message.

Tom
The thought of paying up to $4 for a bottle of something that doesn't make me dizzy would be further proof of my insanity.
Or maybe I'm just cheap.

Bill and Dr Bob both smoked until the end and drank enough coffee to float a ship.

"those cigarettes will take 10 yrs off your life"

Yeh, the LAST 10 yrs.! :rof
Old 12-12-2007, 02:13 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Originally Posted by Signal30 View Post

Thats what I do. As I'm forgetful, I've six bottles which I keep full from my filter jug in the fridge. This way, when I leave my bottle somewhere, or forget to refill it, I've got a few spare!