SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   why do recovering alcoholics drink so much coffee? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/138820-why-do-recovering-alcoholics-drink-so-much-coffee.html)

shugabooga 12-09-2007 04:04 PM

why do recovering alcoholics drink so much coffee?

just a bad habit left over from our hangover days? :)

CarolD 12-09-2007 04:08 PM

I drink all the time....:)
It's been many years since I had a hangover.

Never coffee though ..:ugh:
I favor Diet Coke...Ice Tea...Water

And you?

Signal30 12-09-2007 04:33 PM

One word caffene!!!

Tom

shugabooga 12-09-2007 04:34 PM

coffee, coffee, coffee

ice coffee in the warm weather

diet pepsi out the wazoo, fresca, sprite, 7 Up

water

milk

orange juice

:Dance7:

Aa_vark 12-09-2007 04:59 PM

fluid! yayyyyy fluid!

coffee is warm and tastes like chocolate when i put in the right amount of sugar.

Water is the most fun of all the fluids, beside drinking i can float on it, bathe in it, swim and splash, etc...

Havent tried to swim in coffee, yet.... hmmm... lol...

I might try fizzy beverage swimming first..:-D

youngirish 12-09-2007 05:34 PM

No idea. My dads a recovering alcoholic, drinks it constantly, heavisest 15 cups a day. I drink like 4-6 large a day on average. My cuz also recovering drinks it constantly, and black. We just love our coffee :-)

shaktee 12-09-2007 05:38 PM

weird... I don't drink any coffee or pop...

just water and juice pour moi.. but water... I drink around 3-4L a day.. always have since my youth.

:Dance7:

Flood 12-09-2007 06:08 PM

no coffee for me , right now , grape juice in morning, then red bull and water through out day then some diet pepsi...!!!! which makes me feel full havent figured that one out yet

CarolD 12-09-2007 06:14 PM

Coffee for a hanover??
Tsk! Tsk!
I found a glass of cold Vodka with a splash of OJ
jump started my day.
:mad: I usually threw up the first one.

What a miserable way to live!
I never have to do that again.
:funjump:

citychick 12-09-2007 06:15 PM

I read somewhere coffee lights up the same area of the brain that drugs/alcohol does.....well, thats what I read.

And to be quite honest..I really watch my coffee intake these days as I get into a more, more, more kinda state......if I drink too much it leaves me with a 'wanting something' feeling.

GrouchoTheCat 12-09-2007 06:31 PM

Don't have a clue, but believe me, I am hyper-caffeinated!!

sugErspun 12-09-2007 10:48 PM

Is there an abnormal correalation between the two?? It seems most people I know enjoy coffee quite a bit, alcoholic or not.

For me, in the morning I am pretty much hyper-focused on getting a cup of coffee on the way to work, and that is all the coffee I will drink for the rest of the day (gives me the jitters in large amounts). Water is quite nice.

Just my experience, never drank coffee for a hangover, seemed to make it worse. V8 & vodka was more up my alley (thought I was taking care of myself by drinking V8) :)

Slowbriety 12-09-2007 11:34 PM

I like to get jacked up on it.

caitlin666 12-10-2007 01:22 AM

omg, i drink it by the bucket loads,

i even have a cup that i can take into the car with me, lol

then again, i never do anything by halves :)

Tazman53 12-10-2007 03:33 AM

When I was drinking I drank coffee at work all day until I popped that first top when I got off work, then it was beer until my head hit the pillow, repeat daily!

I still drink a ton of coffee....why? I like coffee!!!!! I have started to cut back on the amount I drink in the afternoon now, usually I will only have one when I get home from work and then one at my meeting now.

nolonger 12-10-2007 04:40 AM

I used to drink a lot of coffee, then I stopped putting sugar in it, and suddenly I found myself drinking about a third as much as I had been. The coffee was just a delivery method for the sugar!

odaat 12-10-2007 04:44 AM

I feel left out at meetings - everyone drinks so much, and really enjoys it, but I just don't get it! I feel the odd one out with my bottle of water!

Signal30 12-10-2007 05:34 AM

I'm not a coffee drinker. It doesnt agree with me, (won't get into details...lol.)

I must confess I am a caffeine addict. Mountain Dew is my poison. When not drinking that I'm drinking water.

Tom

Emimily 12-10-2007 05:48 AM

mm, coffee... i think there's something social, familiar about it. we used to meet at the bar and now we meet at the 'bou. (coffee shop all my AA kiddos hang out at.) we tell newcomers that if they're looking for a place to go for some fellowship, we'll all be drinking coffee up there. it's cheap, maybe 2 bucks for a large coffee. refills are free. no one gets beat up in line for coffee. :) in the winter it warms our hands in the parking lot as we chatter away before a meeting.

and, it doesn't get you drunk. reason enough for me.

Tazman53 12-10-2007 05:52 AM

I feel left out at meetings - everyone drinks so much, and really enjoys it, but I just don't get it! I feel the odd one out with my bottle of water!
I am seeing an increase in the rooms of water drinkers, who knows one day I may be one.