Notices

Quitting..What to expect ..What we did

Old 12-22-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Well this is my first post on here. I am currently on day 3 of detoxing and this is probably the third or fourth time I have been through this. The first one was the worst. I actually had auditory hallucinations. This one has been easier for me. I am coming off of 2-3 months of drinking this time on a daily basis and had been drinking at least a 5th of rum for the last month or two. They really mean it when they say you don’t pick up where you left off, but pick up where you would be if you never quit. Anyway here is what I have encountered this detox.

Day 1: Very heavy vomiting that hit about every 10-15 minutes for 12 hours, chills, sweating, aches, muscle cramping, and insomnia.

Day 2: No more nausea. I had diarrhea, more chills, confusion, and balance difficulties. More of the muscle aches and I was compulsively in the shower. I did manage to hold down soup and did get some sleep.

Day 3: This is today. The muscle aches are passing. My head is somewhat cloudy and I am craving just about any food you can think of. The one thing I am not craving is alcohol.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Guess I'll add mine.

Day 1. Severe anxiety, racing heart, elevated BP (160/100), sweating, feeling of skin crawling, lost ability to read, lost ability to carry on cogent conversation. My doctor said my liver panels looked bad.

Day 2. Hospital, taking Librium. Extreme fatigue (probably from the amount of medication they gave me), nervous, afraid, feelings of paranoia, inability to sleep. Still cannot read more than one sentence. Never had nausea or lack of appetite, although the mechanical process of eating (picking up the food, guiding it to my mouth, remembering to chew and swallow) required a lot of concentration.

Day 3 Still tired, sore, raspy throat, some mild hallucinations (feeling there was a malevolent presence in the room or some dark figure charging me. Thought the bed was full of toy boats for some reason, asked the nurse about them). Liver numbers almost back to normal.

Day 4. Labile, tired, depressed, but able to sleep the night. Unsteady on feet, still some difficulty concentrating but able to read several paragraphs at a time.

Day 5. Pretty much done, but stayed on Librium for several days and felt fatigued and fragile. Landed in daily outpatient treatment the day I was discharged (THANK GOD. If I did not have this I was afraid I'd start drinking again). Never had any shakes or tremors.

Day 12. Back to work after "being treated for an ulcer". Feeling great, recovery well under way, nobody the wiser.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

not going into detox nearly cost me my life

hi i,m new to the forum but have to tell you about what happened to me ,i was drinking heavily for 15yrs held down a job all that time but it was hard to do it as i would drink 4-6 cans of the strongest lager during the week till it got to my time that was fri-sat when i would drink enough on a fri night to last me all w/end just topping up on a sat and sun then back to my week of 4-6 cans done it for yrs , i would also avoid holidays like 2 weeks of work i always worked thou them as i new they would prob kill me as i would physically hurt myself with drink if i had that much time of ,that used to upset my mum and dad as they knew how i struggled with this terrible disease.during these yrs i made several attempts at stopping usually forced by my wife or parents after making a my problem obvious at family occasions ,i would end up at the docs saying please help but it was for them i was there and not me ,then one day the drinking started at work well i new that i had advanced to another level and soon had no job, this was me in the gutter no money house bills and the rest .
the next bit is frightening as someone up there must have a reason for me being here , my doc on my last visit was not educated in my problem as his advise to me a few yrs earlier were you will just have to stop!so i did had no choice couldn't,t go back to the doc as he had seen me several times and i think he would have said not again , this is how it goes woke up Monday the 1st day of hardest thing i was ever going to do in my life , got throu it really hard 1 minute felt like 1hr, it was so hard got to the end of it then onto Tue then wed all the same very hard no sleep shaking vomiting every thing that could happen i was going throu then Thurday came i was still sore but will always rem the time it was 2.30pm and my wife was going to the supermarket , i felt strong enough to drive her as i had no drink in my system for 4 days, then BANG i took a w/d seizure while driving on the duel carriageway came to 6hrs later in hospital in in intensive care , looking about myself and could not understand anything that was going on around me not one thing all i can rem is just starring at what was happening and not taking anything in at all, until i was told that i had being in a rd traffic accident . still could not take it in as i had no idea of what had happened , then i was told , cant even know the words for how i felt at that time ,dis-pair could not understand why i was still alive , my wife was now at my bedside told me what had happened , she was very lucky and was able to walk away from the accident me well when i went into seizure my back arched and my foot went tight onto the accelerator and i took out about 150meters of central barrier and then a light pole at the end of the carriage way,i had no seat belt on so on impact went throu the air bag into the window i was a absolute mess , there was nothing left of the cars driver side and the pole took the full force of the car and stopped it ,,, when i did see the car days later i could not believe that i had survived such the damage to the car [1.8l vauxhall saloon that we had bought new 10 months earlier.
this is where the horror ends for me as i will never recall in my mind of what happened that day, all i no is that in hospital someone up there switched me back on with the chance to start a new life and i took it , i re-set myself that day, something/one in my head said to me u,ve got another chance in life don't screw it up this time. that was 3yrs ago 22 feb i,m alive and love every day that goes by and i know that i will never drink. that was the biggest fright and fight of my life, and if there is someone looking out for me i,ll never let them down THANKS FOR A 2ND CHANCE AT LIVING A NORMAL LIFE. i,ve met a lot of nice people whom i bump into every other week and they are all in the AA, [they seam to think its not coincidental]and i went to my 1st meeting with them last week as i now know i,ve still got alot to learn and allot to give BACK . THIS BRINGS ME TO MY FINAL WORDS ON MY EXSPERINCE WITH ALCHOL EVERYONE DESERVES A 2nd 3rd 4th.....at what they struggle with in life i got it [thanks for reading my story] ....also like to thank my wife and kids and all my family for being behind me and a big sorry for all the pish i put them throu for 15yrs thanks love you all...................pete
Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

First things first. Thank you to everyone here. Reading posts during my weaning/detox was a huge part of getting thru it !
Here is what i did/endured. Sidenote: i was drinking up to 15 shots and a bottle of wine a day. I didnt have the choice to get a safe detox because the only person i had to take my young children was my xhubs and he didnt think i needed help. Hilarious anyway.....
Day 1. Horrific panic at work, felt suicidal. Heart racing, thinking a stroke was coming on.
Went home, had 3 little beers. Slept crappy
Day 2. Vomiting blood at work. Dizzy, feeling completely insane, heart still racing, chills all.day..
Went home, had 2 little beers. Again, barely sleeping. Horrible anxiety
Day 3. &4 a little better. No shaking, and had one beer each nigjt
Day 5. went to my first AA meeting not drunk !!!!
After the suicidal thoughts, I was scared straight. I look back to this , which was only 2 weeks ago, and I cant believe I got through it while working and taking care of my house and kids. If I can do it, anyone can.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:30 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Cool Quitting..What to expect ..What we did

Let me start by saying I have known I was an alcoholic for about 2 years now. I always drink alone for the most part and it is always liquor. Before my first stint of sobriety it was just about 200ml-400ml of 100proof Rumplemintz. I would go through minor withdrawals here and there, mainly anxiety and taper off fairly easy. I could go days or weeks without a drink but then I would start drinking again same routine. Then I quit for 2 months, and felt like a superstar. Recently I started a bender that last 1 1/2 months. I started with the usual 400ml, then it became 600ml. A flask in the day and my 400ml at night. The last 17 days of it was entire bottles of goldschlager 750ml, and beers in the morning to stable myself. I felt horrible and wanted to stop but I couldn't anymore, I was alcohol dependent.

Come two days ago I was locked up alone in a my room, fighting terrible anxiety, I was hearing things, and I had to keep all the lights except a strand of christmas light. Christmas lights you ask? Total darkness caused me to see things so a little light kept that at bay but anything more than that and I would see what looked like falling coins in my peripheral vision. I was trying to taper off on my own using a backpack full of beer.

While it may have seemed I was succeeding and maintaining my schedule a one beer to calm my nerves and keep things as under control as possible about every 1-2hrs if i could make it that long, it was still an utter nightmare. I was still convinced I was winning and at this point was using the chat room here for support. Many didn't think I could do it, I was fairly confident I could that I had that willpower to do it.

Day one was a total nightmare horrible withdrawals: only light shakes, no sweats, extreme anxiety, and my body promising me hallucinations if i didnt get it alcohol on schedule. I was chatting in the chat room to keep myself sane and watching dumb and dumber of all movies. I knew i needed medical help, but still thought I had the power to taper. I thank heavens that Zee and few other's were there to share their stories and use positive encouragment to get me to finally seek real help from a doctor. They shot me strait, I might be thrown in an ambulance at the doctors office, and that detox at a hospital was a very real posibility but one I MUST BE STRONG ENOUGH to undergo if I wanted any chance at beating this. I was on my second day of tapering and still scared pretty ******** of everything but I drank my last beer so I could make the walk across the street to the local physician here. A family clinic in my small town.

I stood outside the doorway to their office for at least 15 minutes damn near ready to run back to my tapering. The words of those from chat ringing in my head GO TO THE DOCTOR! GO GO GO! I walked in and the attendant at the counter asked me to wait and chatted with the delivery guy for a few minutes. I meanwhile was sitting in a chair seriously trying no to run out of the office. My brain saying this is your chance RUNNNNN. He left and she took two more phone calls joking with me she would be with me in a moment. I forced some fake laughter and just hoped I would start tripping balls because it was so bright in the office, and halogen lighting. She finished up her call,

"So what can I do for you?" She said. Alright Matthew I thought to myself tell them the truth, this is pointless if you don't tell them the truth. So i went for it, "Honestly ma'am, I have extreme anxiety and depression and I have been self medicating with alcohol for a month and a half now and now I am experiencing extreme withdrawals." I cringed, I had said, oh dear jesus here comes the judgement and look of disgust. Instead what I got was complete and general concern, "Oh my!" Oh my she said no very aware that I was fidgeting and basically freaking out about every noise in the office. "I bet we can get you something to take care of that anxiety and the doctor will check you out to see what sort of shape your in." She took me in and took my pulse, "Woah dear I knew your pulse would be high because your shaking, it's 120 the doctor will be in to see you just sit here and stay calm." A few moments later the doctor came in. Now here comes the judgement and discontented looks for sure I was thinking. Nope, he was even more comforting and concerned than the nurse. He asked my questions about my drinking I was honest, and then instead he went strait to my anxiety. We talked about when it started, (when my father beat leukemia then killed himself with alcohol, 5 years of hell) and everything that could contribute to my anxiety. He draw up a small circle with seven circles and basically told me I wasn't crazy, I had just experienced most than other people and being an alcoholic is part of that as well but just a small part. As he explained everything relief was washing over me. He wanted to get to know me so he could find the right solution after my recovery to get my mental state where it needed to be. He told me about counseling and that it was very obvious my anxiety came from grief and treating the grief was really my main concern.

No ambulance to detox (he knows I have never abused pills of any kind, and that I don't smoke weed, which makes anxiety worse btw) So we came to and outpatient conclusion. He explained all the benzo's to me and their positives and negatives and felt the best course for me would be light doses of a certain benzo I wont name because what works for one person wont for another you need a doctor to pick the proper one because while they are in one category they have slightly different effects and uses. He called in the prescription set up the next checkup and then expressed his general concern and said how sorry he was for my loss and sent me to the grocery store next door to get my pills. It felt like I had just been touched by Jesus. In the store I was still horribly anxious while they filled my prescription. I hadnt eaten and had only had beer and gatorade the past 3 days so I had to run to the bathroom to pee out my arse for the 7th time that day. Came out and decided to get a fresh cheesesteak from the deli because I knew I needed to eat and maybe I would eat one bite of it later that day if the pills worked at all. Grabbed a gatorade went back to the pharmacy my prescription was filled and the lady brought them to the counter, I paid and immediatly opened em up and took one. (note: my doctor specifically chose magic pill because it is fast acting, like 5-8 minutes to get going). By the time I checked out, I could feel my anxiety calming and the light wasn't affecting me as much. I even stopped at the dvd kiosk and picked up warhorse. 15 minutes later, the benzo was working and I was a bit euphoric, having never took these but actually elated. I wasn't in anxiety hell! Then you know what happened, my body not worrying completely about booze all of sudden was like, "yo dude, YOUR STARVING AND YOU HAVE A CHEESESTEAK!". I ate it happily strolling down a local path, "It was delicious and I finally felt empowered to beat my addiction. I got my first sleep in 4 days, woke up a bit scared a couple times and took another half of my magic pill and when I calmed back down slept for 8 hours strait! Amazing. Knowing you have the help and support of a truly concerned doctor is HUGE.

While I know it's not much, I am determined never to drink again. Im going to get counseling as well for my grief and my addiction.

I know this was a really long read but I wanted to be thorough so I could really help to bring light to the fact that, why yes tapering off alcohol with alcohol may be possible, and I have done it before. I thought I could do it again because unlike most I had the willpower. I now know the real willpower game was the one where I sought help from a doctor. Nothing and I mean NOTHING compares to going to your doctor and getting the PROPER treatment. One I've my biggest excuses was I dont have health insurance. My visist was $50 dollars and the prescription $8. So while you can sit and suffer for days I highly suggest to all, go see your doctor and wish everyone the best.

I intend to update this thread with my progress so hopefully it can help guide others in the right direction.

Many thanks to soberrecovery.com and those in the chat here, I couldn't have done it without the support here.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

this was a technique that helped me a lot in the early days to deal with cravings.

It's all about observing our craving - trying not to be a part of it, if that makes sense?

We can feel the feeling, but we don't need to act on it - as simple a concept as it is, that was a real revelation for me

We can, if you like, learn to surf the 'wave' of our cravings...and not end up wiped out

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html