Notices

Err.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Err.

I haven't been on this site in a little while, tonight I plan on going to my first AA meeting. I'm getting antsy just thinking about it.
I've had a good run for the last couple months, not a day sober and it's hard to slow down.

I feel so pathetic not wanting to go to the meeting because it ends late, which means I drink late.
Feeling irritated with myself
Old 09-20-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Isn't funny how drinking runs your life. Everything we do revolves around when we can get that drink and we selfishly hold on to that. It doesn't have to be that way. It does get better. Make that meeting and then why don't you make it day one where you don't drink.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back LifeInJune. That's pretty typical for addiction- it will always help you find a reason to not try and get better. Listen to the voice inside you that wants to get better and go to the meeting.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's scary and intimidating going to your 1st meeting, but once you go a sense of relief will come of your shoulders. My guess is you will be welcomed with open arms and friendly faces who have gone through the same experience.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

check out this thread

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...irst-time.html (Went to AA for the First Time!!)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you went

D
Old 09-20-2017, 11:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeinJune View Post

I feel so pathetic not wanting to go to the meeting because it ends late, which means I drink late.
Feeling irritated with myself
Best to try not drinking after the meeting?
M-Bob
Old 09-21-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I first wanted to get sober and found I couldn't, I decided to go to AA, but the meetings started at 8 and I couldn't wait that long to drink. It took me a long time to go, because I refused to go drinking. That should prove right there that I'm an alcoholic, but I was in such denial that even though I finally made it to the meetings and started staying sober, I couldn't get it into my head that I couldn't drink just one, or just for one night. Relapsed over and over. I think I truly admit and accept now that I am an alcoholic and can't take any mind altering substance at all without dire consequences.
Also, most of the meetings I go to now start at 5:30, sometimes 7.
Best wishes to you! I hope you love AA, and if you don't like the first meeting, try another one.