Notices

New Member Day One

Old 10-02-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

New Member Day One

Today is my official quit day. I come from a family of alcoholics and feel like I am about to cross the line or I might have and alcohol just doesn't have a place in my life. I never used to drink because I can't stand being around drunk people and found it highly irritating. Plus, it always scared me coming from a family of alcoholics. I always knew in the back of my mind that I could become an alcoholic pretty easily even though I never drank.

I started drinking about a year ago because of uncontrolled chronic pain. I now drink ever day. I quit for a few months and during that time didn't even think about drinking after the physical w/drawal was over. Then I went to a wedding and had a few drinks and then started right back so I know that I can't be moderate about this. I have to be completely abstinent.

So I am definitely not looking forward to the next 3 days which is the w/drawal time it took me last time. I am hoping that I will not have any mental cravings but I may have crossed the line. I guess I will know in about 5 hours when I would usually have my first drink if it will be physical or if I have now added a mental component as well.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome Sara, this is a great place to start! Hope you're putting some plans together for a program of recovery. Reach out for help, you don't have to do this alone.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Thanks Astro.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to Sober Recovery, Sara! Glad you are here!
Old 10-02-2007, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sara,

Welcome!

It sounds like you have a great decision to take care of yourself. You've already learned that trying to control drinking just doesn't work, for an alcoholic. It took me a long time to accept that! I hope you keep posting.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey sara,

i'm new here too (tomorrow will be day 4 for me) and this seems like a really great place to sort things out. great group of people! welcome, and good luck!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome!
Old 10-02-2007, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

well, it's true
the most important person is the newcomer
so
congrats
glad you are here

best
fraankie
Old 10-02-2007, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Sara. Be strong and we are here for you if you need help. I am going on 2 weeks now and I am feeling better everyday. I won't lie the first few days are hell but after that it gets better.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

sara

Welcome Glad you are here.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Thanks Everyone. I really appreciate it. There is a lot of good information here. I used to come and read a lot to learn more because of my family.

I am feeling pretty okay right now. Drinking lots of water and taking Milk Thistle and a good Multi-Vitamin. Knock on wood.

Congrats to everyone on their sobriety.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you here in Alcoholism with us....
Keep in focus
Old 10-02-2007, 09:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

Welcome aboard Sara, and good luck!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

I am at the 24 hour mark. I am not feeling too badly. A little irritable, uncomfortable, and sweaty. Not too bad considering I was drinking a liter of whiskey a day. My husband is being great and making all the meals and taking care of everything around the house. He removed all of the alcohol from the house this morning when he left for work.

I have been reading and watching movies all day. I think keeping myself as low stress as possible for the next three days is the best way for me to go. I am lucky I have that luxury.

Right now I am really bored. I am naturally a night owl so I have about 5 hours to go before I will go to sleep. Well, if I get to sleep.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi Sara,

Welcome! I'm glad that your husband is supporting you..that makes things easier. Keep posting!

Karen
Old 10-03-2007, 01:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Thanks Karen. I am extremely lucky that my DH is so supportive. He has never made me feel bad about my drinking. He just told me that it makes him worry. When I told him I picked the day. He was really happy and is doing everything he can to keep the dogs quiet and make sure I am as comfortable as possible. He said he would stop drinking. He only drinks about once a month but I told him as of right now I don't think it is necessary. I will really need to access how mentally addicted I am after the w/drawal period.

Right now I am not experiencing any cravings just kind of a passing "I should have a drink and then telling myself nope." I quit smoking about a month ago too and that was serious hell. I am still craving cigarettes pretty badly. I think not drinking will really help with that.

I do know that I will never be able to drink again and really there is no point. If I find I cannot handle it with this board and the support system I have I will have to re-evaluate how I plan to handle my aftercare.

I do have to say I think the vitamins and milk thistle are making a huge difference in my w/drawals. If I still feel decent I will start working out again tomorrow which is something that I have really let slide in the last year.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome aboard Sara, if you are not taking vitamin B complex do it, it helps along with the multivitamin and milk thistle.

Sounds like you are willing to do what ever it takes to stay sober, that is so important, if we really want to quit we are willing to do what ever it takes to stay sober.... even things we may have said we would never do. Kind of like medicine, it is what we thinks taste the worst that helps us the most.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Sara.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Feeling a little more rough today but I expected that. I didn't really sleep last night just layed there and occassionally drifted off to The Twilight Zone of dreams.

Taz - thanks for the advice. I did throw in a B Complex too. When my stomach gets a little queezy I am drinking an Emergen-C. Sometimes vitamins make me nauseous especially now.

So gonna just hang out today and take it easy and wait it out.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Sara,been off it myself for a few weeks and feel much better for it.My wife rarely drinks and as most of my drinking has been at home for the last few years,have found it easier than i expected.I have read mountains of posts on here and it has been a great help,so best wishes.