Notices

My story

Old 07-18-2007, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My story

I am a 32 year old male. Divorced once, remarried, and have a wonderful 5 year old son. I have always senses I have a drinking problem. I remember seeing beer in the fridge when I was 14 and wanting to drink some. I remember one day that same year having a craving to drink (without ever driking - probably was mental, but it was a craving). I slammed like a half of the can, and did not like it and dummped it down the drain.

I have always thought I could control my drinking. I never have been able to. There have been periods in my life when I can control it better than others, but overall I do very stupid, hurtful, things when I am drunk. Right now, I am controlling it less than ever. My doctor perscribed my adderhal for ADD. Let me tell you, I can party all night on that stuff. It's not uncommon for me to put down 15 beers and a few shots, with a few screwdrivers to boot. I have gained 50 pounds in 3 years. There was a time in my life when I was in great shape, could run 15 miles at a time, and got out of bed every morning at 6am. Over the past few years I do not run, I do not workout, and I don't wake up until 9am most days. I am in sales so I set my own schedule.

As I look back I notice that there are very few people in my life today that were there 3 years ago (got divorced then - my choice).

When I drink I am outwardly OK. I make jokes, never get angry, stay pretty articulate. But inside I am a mess. Always looking to see what everyone else is drinking. Always worried about ordering shots. Then worrying about if the other's are getting ready to stop.... Once they do I'll just go home and play xbox and drink more. I'll drink until 3 am on a worknight if I "want" to.

The fact is I have a problem with drinking. I have stopped for a few weeks several times, but always feel after that period that I can be a normal drinker. My memories / mind love drinking. When I think of football in the fall I think of whisky / beer. When I think of golf in the summer I think of my dad (deceased) and I drinking after a round. When I think of good news I think of drinkiing,etc... Basically any thought or memory had to do with drinking. I need to stop. I need to stop.

Please tell me how I do it (besides going to AA - I don't think that is my scene? I want to decide what I do from now on, instead of booze...
Old 07-18-2007, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

An option:You are job protected by law for 3 mos. Apply with HR at your job and go into rehab. Work some kind of program. Your son deserves a sober dad as you know, so he won't be posting here in 13 yrs. under adult child of alcoholic thread.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome jdpgolfer.

Spiritual Seeker has a point. Some kind of program is better than no kind of program. There are options other than AA. Check out the Secular Connections forum. And keep posting here. The support and genuine caring is fabulous. I'm looking forward to seeing more of you here.

Blessings to you, JDP.

BHJ
Old 07-18-2007, 09:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thy will, not mine

Originally Posted by jdpgolfer View Post
Please tell me how I do it (besides going to AA - I don't think that is my scene? I want to decide what I do from now on, instead of booze...

I personally don't know of any other way, as I think I have tried most all of them. This forum is truly a blessing, but I need to be able to see other people doing the right thing on a regular basis. I need meetings, because that is where people get to know me. Meeting makers make it. I didn't like meeting at first either but as I kept going people made me feel welcome. When I started to open up so did they and I got some good advisors out of it. So that when something happens that I don't know how to handle I can call them up and say "Hey, this is what is happening. Please help."
Old 07-19-2007, 12:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Thanks, Pennywise - uh - Scaryclownguy!
Old 07-19-2007, 01:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

After a horrible accident back in Feb. 90, with a
10 day hospital stay with numerous broken ribs,
contusions, a punctured spleen removed, I
healed up quite nicely....

3 months later after no alcohol, i picked up
again and tried to end my life.

Just because i didnt drink in those few
months the progression of my disease
hadnt stopped growing.....

It amazes me still today looking back
at how quickly my disease had grown....

My family stepped in and did a family
intervention on me sending me to rehab
where i decided to stay 28 days instead of
2 weeks...

They did for me what i was incapable of
doing for myself. For that and them I
am truely grateful.

It was there that i recieved the tools
and knowledge of my disease.

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

By the grace of my HP and people
like you hete in SR I havent had a
drink of alcohol since 8-11-90.

For that and you I am truely grateful.

You think that haven a few yrs sober
one would not need AA any longer, right?

Well for this alcoholic...I need AA...AA needs me.

I learned early on how powerless i was
over alcohol and that how CUNNING, BAFFLING
and POWERFUL it is.

When u least expect it...whether ur in a great
mood and everything is going perfect to things
going haywire...it can sneek up on u in a blink
of an eye.

For me....in early recover I had the DESIRE to
stop drinking and had the WILLINGNESS to go
to any lengths to stay sober....

That mean to be HONEST, OPENMINDED AND
WILLING to take direction....suggestions...

No, i couldnt stay sober if you TOLD ME what to
do...but thru ur kindness, caring suggestions i
listened....I took ur suggestion seriously and hung
on tight as u guided me ONE DAY AT A TIME to
stay sober....

You held my hand, u listened tome whin,,,,
u encouraged me, u gave me hope....

It was thru the many shining examples you gave
me that I am still sober today.

You sharing your ....

EXPERIENCES, STRENGTHS AND HOPES....

on what it was like before during after drinking.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank You

Wow. Thank you to all of you. Today is my 5th day without drinking. My focus today will be just to not drink today. I look forward to this journey. I know it will not be easy, but finding this forum is wonderful. I will try the AA meetings again as well.

Thank you!
Old 07-19-2007, 04:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you. Give it an honest go before you decide. I've been in and out for several years now. Longest time sober in about 15 years was 18 months a few years ago. I keep going back to AA because nothing else I've tried (and I tried everything I could think of) ever worked. Congrats on day 5! I'm starting back over, slipped up on Tuesday. Now Day Two for me.

All the best to you, jdp!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

jdpgolfer keep an open mind, I drank for 40 years, the last 10 years I drank I tried to moderate or quit every way possible by myself. The only thing this led to was my HAVING to drink every day.

I was bad enough to where I had no idea how to stop so I went to a doctor hwo specialized in alcoholism and drug addiction, I laid the whole truth out in front og him and told him I had checked out these 2 anti-crving drugs and antabuse and wanted him to tell me which one he reccommended..... ( I was still looking for the easier & softer way out)!!!! He flat told me that they would be a waste of my time, I needed to go into detox and then into a long term maintenance program!

Well I went through detox and towards the end as the fog was beginning to lift I started to hear the people at detox saying that if I wanted a chance at long term sobriety I needed to go to at least 90 AA meeings in 90 days and get a sponsor!

Well here I am over 10 months later, I am sober, I could care less if I ever had another drink and am happier then I have been in over 30 years!!!! I have AA to thank for it all, they taught me how to live life on lifes terms without drinking.

Look I know that AA is not the only path to long term sobriety, it is the path I chose to use and because I worked it, it worked, but I do know that trying to stay sober my way I had a snow balls chance in hell of staying sober, I tried that for 10 years.

Get into a long term program with a track record.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Way To Go on your sober time!

Glad to see you are going onward
Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 5 / AA

Hi guys. Just checking in. Did not drink today!!! Today I noticed that I am much happier and have a better outlook on life than when I've drank. As I sit here and type this at 12:30am I am very tired and ready for bed. I have eaten very healthy today and drank plent of water and I am about to fall out of my chair tired. It amazes me how a week ago I would have eaten bar food and drank over 15 drinks and then got taco bell on the way home. Why would I choose to live that way and how can one think he / she will productive the next day after than kind of evening??? I love being sober / but I am being very cautious. I know my addicted brain is going to start trying to talk me into drinking, but I am not going to do it!

As far as AA goes, my biggest problem with it is the uniformity with it. It seems forced and mechanical. Did anyone else feel that way at first? I think the "big picture" idea is fantastic. I just struggle with the chants, holding hands, etc. I have gone when there has been a speaker and it was great. I think I just need to go. If nothing else I'm sure it reminds the mind that alcohol is not an option going forward.

Anyway, off to bed. Thank you for letting me take place in this forum. And thanks for all of you advice / encouragement.

JDP
Old 07-20-2007, 03:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

JDP if you are an alcoholic like me, I felt that my disease views AA, like a demon (as in the exorcist) views a crucifix, its enemy!!!!

There is some repatition in AA meetings which I found annoying at first, but with time I came to realize that I was not the only alcoholic in the room, there were others there to, some for the first time who needed to hear the bare bone basics of AA, others like me, and some with many years of sobriety. Some of the things done in meetings are to let a new comer know that their is unity in the recovery offered by AA.

I found that I started to grasp what was going on when I started to try and identify the similarities I had with other alcoholics in the rooms instead of focusing on the differences I had with others.

I suddenly realized that I was not unique, I was not alone, the room was full of people just like me who knew what it was like to have that first drink and have no idea where that first drink was going to lead after they had it, the one thing we all know is that the first drink leads to another, & another............ some of us it led to jail, prison, DWIs, personal problems, lose of jobs, promotions, etc., we all really never knew for sure what that first drink was going to lead to.

There are folks in the rooms that know what it is like to hate yourself the way I did, they know what it is like to quit drinking and the same day winding up with a drink in thier hand like I did and wondering how in the world it all started over again.

What I found in the rooms of AA were people who understand me.

The most important thing I have found in the rooms of AA are people who were just as bad as I was or worse and have found a way to not only stay sober, but become better happier people and love nothing more then to help an old drunk like me learn what they did to get that way.

The first month of AA I was going because I saw people laughing in the rooms, I saw that some how they had overcome thier alcoholism one day at a time and I wanted what they had, I continue to go for those same reasons now and to give what I have today to any one who wants what I have.

Today thanks to AA I am happy, joyous, & free and could care less if I ever have another drink again.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think it can be done without AA but it may not be very easy. (Not that AA makes it easy) FOR ME, I had to come to a point of no return. I had a friend die from cirrhosis and it shocked me sober. I took a careful honest look at myself and realized I was heading in the same direction. If I continued to drink it would kill me. I did not want to put myself or my family through this. I felt like a doctor was saying "you can have this very painful operation with a difficult, long recovery and live or you can live with your disease and die". This all said I have read the AA literature, followed this board and have made myself familiar with what is going on with this disease and what to expect. It is not easy and I am a work in progress, but I find the longer I am sober the less I want to go back to that horrible place. I was out of control, spinning downward with no hope. I now see a light at the end of the tunnel and hope for the future and I give thanks to God for everyday sober. As a matter of fact it has been eight months today! The key for me is that I if I wanted to continue on with my life I knew that drink could no longer be a part of it. You make the choice of how you do it, but be aware that programs have worked for the majority of the people on this board.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

For me besides the steps of AA, the most important thing it has brought to me is the fellowship, people who have given me their phone number that I know I can call at 3 am on a Tuesday morning and they will be there for me in any way they possibly can, I also give out my number and will be there when ever any one calls.

Try going into a bar and getting phone numbers of folks you can call any time when you need some help!!!! LOL
Old 07-20-2007, 09:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

"...........(got divorced then - my choice). ................"

i think this is the basis of many an alcoholic
as in
delusion
obviously, your story is brief,
in relation to 32 years
but
you can detail your drinking to a "t"
a daily experience for years
and glance over a very significant, life changing experience in a few words
now
you putting down "15 beers and a few shots, with a few screwdrivers ....."
and, you seriously believe it was your your choice to divorce
who,
your "bad" wife, who went to work, cooked dinner,
only to eat alone and put yours on the side
'cause Mr. jpdgolfer was too busy pop-topping a bud
cleaned the house,
God knows there was little more conversation than "honey, can you get me a beer from the 'fridge",
did the shopping, etc
countless holidays at "home alone"
even if you were on the premises,
and, sooooooooo-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
the rare occasions when you did go somewhere with her, a family occasion, a wedding reception,
she got to see you perform your "dance" in a different setting
with the others there
and
i'm sure you were a regular tom cruise lover
i could go on and on
but
the key word is "perception"
your ego wants you to say
"well, i'm the good one who divorced the bad one"
the unpartner to the marriage
i'm sure when you mentioned you wanted a divorce
she threw herself at your feet begging forgiveness, etc

hey, wake up
as in, knock, knock
alcohol impairs your judgement
so your whole concept of reality is blurred

i put so much into this one statement
so you recognize whatever the issue
job, family, friends, social obligations,e tc
there is a lot more going on than you imaginge, know

so
"...........I remember seeing beer in the fridge when I was 14 .........."
knock, knock again
the heiniken you guzzle today has no relation to that beer in the 'fridge'18 years ago
unless you want to spend about 12 years in therapy blaming your parents for having it there
while you are at it
try to start a class action suit against GE for manufacturing refrigerators with a shelf to hold the beer that made you an alcoholicl today
and

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you guzzling that nice colt 45 tonight
because of that memory of the beer in the fridge and you wanted to drink it
well,
comsider 27 years from now
when your "wonderful 5 year old son. ......"
is now 32 years olds
buying a round of drinks for all his "friends" at the bar
you sitting by the window waiting for him to come over for your birthday
while "the cat's in the cradle" plays on the jukebox
and
and
and
and
and............................................... .

best
fraankie

ps
oh, i forgot the advice part
wake up and fly right

p.s.s.
i share from experience with you
and
if you want
e-m me
i'll give you my phone number
you can call collect
and
we'll discuss, intelligently, recovery options
Old 07-20-2007, 11:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of your responses guys. Frankie, I don't see the need to come so strong to a person who just joined (me). I have not given any reasons for my divorce nor made any excuses for it or for my drinking. You don't know the first thing about me or why I got divorced. I think you are projecting expieriences you've had on me.

The reason I am an alcoholic has nothing to do with my ex-wife, parents, or anyone other than me. I do not make ******** excuses for anything I do. Hence the fact I told my story to a group of like-minded people.

Today is day 6 and I am not going to drink today. Thanks again everyone.

JDP
Old 07-20-2007, 11:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

congrats

best
fraankie
Old 07-20-2007, 11:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

jdp -- welcome to SR>

Glad you made the choice to not drink today.

Taz had some great things to say -- AA is the way for me as well.

I can relate to your story -- I drank daily for many years, was in great shape for a long time, then ballooned up to 252 lbs.

About a year and a half ago, I celebrated my 1st AA birthday on the day I completed a Quarter Ironman Triathlon. I am a true miracle!

Give AA a shot -- try it with an open mind for 90 days -- if you don't like it, find another way. You're doing the right first step -- you have become willing to change, now you must do everything you can -- go to ANY lengths -- to stay sober -- just for today. Tomorrow, do it over again.

A simple formula I used when I first got sober -- don't drink, go to meetings, don't drink between meetings.

PM me if you need anything...

NoMo Beer
Old 07-20-2007, 11:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I want to decide what I do from now on, instead of booze...
We've all felt that way. I decided what I was going to do, and how I was going to quit for 5 years. What my decisions got me were physical dependance on alcohol, as well as the loss of my wife, house, car and a job.

The paradox of recovery, is we have to surrender to win. We have to ask for help from others. We have to quit trying to control everything and everyone around us because, well, quite simnply, we can't.

I know you said you don't want to do AA. I didn't either. My first meeting was percieved by me as punishment. I was wrong. I'm willing to bet if you give it an honest, open, willing try, you'll also find that your pre concieved notions about AA are wrong.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Smile

You guys have convinced me - I am going to try it. I feel silly being sober for 5 days telling people that have been sober for much longer how I don't like it. Obviously my way has not worked. I truly will go to a meeting this weekend. It seems as if the people in it, love it. Thanks again to everyone, and Frankie I'm sure you meant well by your post. I hope I did not offend you. I am just a guy who wants to stop being such a messy, sloppy, foolish, drunk.