Notices

Day one blues

Old 07-17-2007, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one blues

Hi all, well here I go again...day one! I know I should be positive because day one means a fresh start and repreive from alcoholic hell but I can't help thinking that yet again I'm dooming myself to failure. How do you guys stay inspired? What gives you that drive to keep on staying stopped? All tips and thoughts greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Amelia
Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi amelia!
Yay for Day 1!
That is a great acheivment! I'm on Day 3, so I'm right at the beginning with you. Alot of people here seem to like AA, maybe you could find a meeting in your area? I find that coming here gives me support, also any friends/family can help keep you on track.
Have a great day, stay strong, and keep posting!

FallGirl
Old 07-17-2007, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've written down all the trouble booze has caused me. I'm a quick forgetter. If I don't think about all the bad things, sure enough, booze will start to look like a good thing.

And I also write down all the things I can do sober. Normal things like go to work and actually feel good. Take my boys out to a movie. Couldn't do that drunk. And if I wasn't working or sleeping, I was drinking. Non-stop.

Being a part of the AA fellowship also helps tremendously. I have a place to go where people really do understand.

Hope that helps. I wish you the best. I'm certain others will be along soon, too.

Take care.

BHJ
Old 07-17-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

sending you encouragement for day one, amelia. don't get too far ahead of yourself, just keep it real simple..

blessings, k
Old 07-17-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Amelia,

I had no trouble at all remembering the problems that alcohol had caused in my life. It was with me all the time.

Now, I read here at SR often and always find something to inspire me.

You can do this!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How do you guys stay inspired? What gives you that drive to keep on staying stopped
I just remember my last drunk. I don't want to go back there, ever.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

perservation
stick to it

congrats

best
fraankie
Old 07-17-2007, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I totally agree with John...

I did keep a daily journal
and I do use AA.

I just came home from 3 hours
of learning ...fun and service work.
The AA way is an awesome daily adventure!

Congratulations on your new resolve!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

How do you guys stay inspired? What gives you that drive to keep on staying stopped?
First let me say congrats on being willing to try again.

To answer your question................................I RAN to AA, oh not for any program (at least in the beginning) but because I felt SAFE there. There were people, lots of people in different meetings who had either gone through what I was going through or were going through it.

I slowly made some new friends, and starting doing some things with them (picnics, movies, bowling, camputs, etc) sober. It wasn't until I was about 6 months sober that I was able to start reading the Big Book of AA and actually comprehend a little of what I was reading.

The meetings and the fellowship saved my butt. The program came later. I got phone numbers of other women there also, and I used them. No matter what time of day or night, if there was no meeting scheduled that I could run to and the 'cravings' were upon me, I started dialing. I had become terrified of drinking again, and was at least willing to what I could not to.

That's what worked for me Amelia, I hope it can work for you too.

Love and hugs,
Old 07-17-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, I pretty much did the same thing laurie did. I am lucky to have a clubhouse nearby, so I would hang out there ALOT, or at least as much as I could. Even if there wasn't a meeting going on there, I would hang out with fellow members, and wait for the time one was about to start. That clubhouse was a big part of my sobriety at the beginning.

Try to obtain a schedule of meetings that are in your area, whether it be online or at the next meeting ask for some type of booklet that has the days, locations, and times where there are meetings.

The first week is tough, but if you try to go to as many meetings as needed, and start listening to what is said, you will figure out what you need to do from there. People at those meetings are always there to help.

Take it a day and when needed a minute at a time.

Tom