Thread: Day one blues
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 12:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

How do you guys stay inspired? What gives you that drive to keep on staying stopped?
First let me say congrats on being willing to try again.

To answer your question................................I RAN to AA, oh not for any program (at least in the beginning) but because I felt SAFE there. There were people, lots of people in different meetings who had either gone through what I was going through or were going through it.

I slowly made some new friends, and starting doing some things with them (picnics, movies, bowling, camputs, etc) sober. It wasn't until I was about 6 months sober that I was able to start reading the Big Book of AA and actually comprehend a little of what I was reading.

The meetings and the fellowship saved my butt. The program came later. I got phone numbers of other women there also, and I used them. No matter what time of day or night, if there was no meeting scheduled that I could run to and the 'cravings' were upon me, I started dialing. I had become terrified of drinking again, and was at least willing to what I could not to.

That's what worked for me Amelia, I hope it can work for you too.

Love and hugs,