Notices

Hi Everyone I Quit Today

Old 07-15-2007, 11:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

hi everyone

3rd day sober and i feel so so much better. I am planning for my future!!
far from dreading looking forward I am relishing the chance to be sober and compos mentis

My family own a villa in spain and I am determined to get down to my ideal weight of around 230 pounds (280 at the moment) so I can go away in september and look good
I used to be a gym freak but alcohol got in the way!!. Im going to eat a good breakfast then go to the gym this morning. Then a full busy afternoon working and a great evening meal followed by some tv

thank you for all the encouragement
Old 07-16-2007, 06:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, steve! blessings, k
Old 07-16-2007, 07:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Smile

I can’t tell you how many times I quit before I gave up and went to AA – and haven’t had a drink since. If you’re alcoholic, I wish you desperation. If not, you don’t need luck, you’ll just quit. We have all kinds in AA, including brilliant scientists to academy award winning actors. None of that stopped them from being powerless over alcohol.

Welcome.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

a quick update

hi everyone
coming up to my first week now, i havent felt any withdrawal symptoms at all !!
i was scared as i used to drink up to a litre of vodka a day plus beer and wine etc
i dont miss it and instead have returned to the gym and find time to enjoy my two children (reading to them and driving around in the car) both things i couldnt do whilst drunk.
I am determined to change my life and if i can do it anyone can!!
Best of luck to you all
steve
Old 07-19-2007, 02:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Congrats on your week of sober time Steve. Great job!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Steve -

I'm so glad that you have joined us and are doing well. Families can be a great motivation!

Keep up the good work!

TinLizzy
Old 07-19-2007, 03:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The first two times I tied it on my own I got to 6 months and 3 moths sober.. Gradually I started thinking "I must NOT have been an alcoholic".. So I started to drink socially here and there.. Nedless to say IT DOESNT WORK.. I'm still not going to AA and have just recently quit again but I do plan on attending some meetings starting next week to see if there is anything different between doing it MY WAY and doing it the AA way. I'll be on a short vacation and can hopefully remain sober. I'll take it one day at a time till I have that AA support.

I honestly hate the thought of going to AA but so many people can't be wrong.. I'm not saying I'm looking down or anything like that, I just like to think of myself as a stong willed person and "don't need anyone's help" but the reallity is that I haven't been so as stong as I thought the past few attempts.

You'll honestly see that it's not very difficult to temporarily quit but it's a whole other story to stay that way. I think my previous two times I managed to get the 3 and 6 months because in the back of my head I always knew it was a temporary thing and that I would go back to drinking (socially or so I thought). Now it's scary to think that I can NEVER drink again because I enjoyed it so much for soo long but in the past few years it became more a burden that it was fun.. I too have two young sons and know I need to quit for them also.

Good luck, honestly, you'll see that in a few months or even a year you'll be back here reading your posts and wondering what happened. That happened to me and it's amazing that I started with such an upbeat attitude but ended up back and worse to where I was.

You may be able to do it alone and if you can all I could say is WOW, I admire you.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

without raining on the whole AA parade ............
i will go it alone , ive never really wanted to stop drinking before, i quit to please others etc previously , or rather took a break from drinking . Now im quitting for me , and im the most single minded person ever! I honestly dont miss it at all. Im going to get fitter and live longer
Old 07-20-2007, 02:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on the week, keep doing what you are doing, but keep an open mind, I am an alcoholic and can tell you there were many times over the my 40 year drinking career where I quit for a week or two just to wind up right back where I started.... usually worse then before, I hope you have an easier path to sobriety then I did, I had to reach the point where I had no choice but to drink every day.