Notices

Hi Everyone I Quit Today

Old 07-14-2007, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone I Quit Today

I have finally decided that enough is enough. i was drinking a bottle of vodka every day more or less!
I have been having twinging pains in my lower back that alcohol worsens and general soreness in my back and an area above my kidneys
Im 36 and have no excuses whatsoever for my habit. I have a lovely family and wife and i would have left them alone!!
I am going cold turkey and have done so several times only to slip back into drinking again. This time i am taking milkthistle and drinking litres of water . No ill effects or cravings yet.
wish me luck
steve
Old 07-14-2007, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck sir my thoughts are with you , guess i will tell u first u need to see a doc. I haved detoxed myself several times and each time it seems to get worse .. Just be carefull and please realize when to get help and dont be alone. I cant help much more than that cause i am not in recovery yet TAKE CARE
Old 07-14-2007, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Great first step, LD! Your pattern sounds like mine -- I have a wonderful family yet found myself doing the better part of a bottle of vodka. Not a good thing -- great you have identified it.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

its crazy really as im a qualified fitness instructor and know the harm ive been doing to myself. my wife supports me and we have cleared all the booze from the house and are both going to be dry from now on
glad i found this forum guys!!
Old 07-14-2007, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Good luck sir my thoughts are with you , guess i will tell u first u need to see a doc. I haved detoxed myself several times and each time it seems to get worse .. Just be carefull and please realize when to get help and dont be alone.*snip*
Yup.

I wish you the best of luck, and applaud you for your willingness. That said, taking milk thistle and drinking water will help you through de-tox, but it's not a program of recovery.

I needed to seek help from others that had been through the experience. I had to throw out several life long conceptions. I had to change. Both in thought and action. I had to admit I was beat, that I was powerless, and that I needed help from a power greater than myself.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR and congrats on your decision Steve.

Please see a doctor, detox can kill you!!!

I did exacly what you are doing now on and off for the last 10 years of my 40 year drinking career, I constantly convinced my self I could stay stopped doing it my way.

The only thing my way accomplished was one relapse after another until I had no choice but to drink every day in order to merely function.

I reached the point of being hopeless trying it my way, I could not stop.

I finally surrendered to the fact that my way did not work and I needed help!

I put myself into detox where they told me if I wanted a chance at staying sober I needed to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor!

I know what you are thinking "AA!!! No F'ing way!!!"!!! I felt the same way, but my way of stopping did not work, I finally surrendered to that fact and reached the point of being willing to do what ever it took to get and stay sober, I did as detox suggested, AA was the solution for me as it has been for millions of others who have worked the program.

You are not alone, why fight this alone, AA worked for this old drunk, there are other programs that have worked for other people, try them as well if you do not want to try AA.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

to be honest im just sick of the whole thing, sick of the hangovers, sick of being too drunk to look after my children if they were ill etc (that hasnt happened thank god)
but i think its high time i grew up and stopped drinking . I want to be a better father to lauren and lewis . to do that i need to be sober
Old 07-14-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

if i relapse i will go to AA . Ive never truly wanted to give up before . I just stopped a couple of times before as i had aches and pains and realised it was the booze. This time im looking forward to being sober and getting more work done at home
Old 07-14-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Hi Steve,

Glad that you are quitting the booze! It'll kill you one way or another.

I found that AA keeps be sober too.

Best to you steve
Old 07-14-2007, 02:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Welcome

Steve. Glad that you are here! Sounds like you've got a supportive wife..thats good.

Karen
Old 07-14-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Steve, good luck and here is some reading for you!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html
Old 07-14-2007, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Steve,

It has been said over and over, OUR way does not work...What works for me is the program of AA... I made a committment to go to a meeting a day. This has truly helped me not drink for today. I am dependent on others for transportation, so I am also responsible.

Keep posting here. We are happy you are here.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome Steve....

Please do read the links Stone posted.

Let us know how you are doing

Blessings to you and your family
Old 07-14-2007, 05:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Open Minded

Hello, welcome and congrats on your decision (and your wife's too). You can do this and the people here are incredibly supportive, you've come to the right place, I don't know of another like it.

:0)
Old 07-14-2007, 08:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome. Stick with it Steve were here for you.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

first night without booze!!

so far so good
i watched spiderman 3 last night and played with the dogs . Drank a lot of water before bed and feel fine this morning. I walked the dogs and now im doing a bit of work before a bath
thanks for all the words guys
Old 07-14-2007, 10:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LAURENSDADDY View Post
its crazy really as im a qualified fitness instructor and know the harm ive been doing to myself.
whether a gym instructor, university professor or homemaker... we all know (on some level) the harm we are doing to ourselves, our loved ones and our lives... crazy indeed.

Welcome. Sobriety is foreign territory ..and often harrowing... I hope you have or find the support of those who've blazed some trail before you. Lotta pioneers here at SR.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrads Steve!
Keep up the good work, and keep us posted. It's a good idea to see your doctor.

We are here for you, and we want to see you find success. Getting sober is one thing. Staying sober is another. Once you get through the first little while, you may find it helpful to look into long term solutions to stay sober.

For now, you deserve a high five for making a great choice!
chip
Old 07-14-2007, 11:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Getting sober is one thing. Staying sober is another. Once you get through the first little while, you may find it helpful to look into long term solutions to stay sober.
+ 1
Old 07-15-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

What a great thread. I love the way everyone has reached out.
Good luck LD, and welcome to a better life.