Notices

First Post

Old 07-18-2007, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post

Hello all,

I found this board while cruising the internet researching alcohol addiction. WOW, this place is incredible!! (first post)

I've read so many similar stories that are so close to mine being addicted to alcohol:

Can't write a check or credit card receipt without shaking and having the signature intelligable.

Waking up each morning so incredibly hung over and yet going to work hung over

Making it a decision to stop drinking at about 11:00 pm so the alcohol won't smell on me while at work (and vodka does smell)

Hiding bottles of vodka and masking them from my wife

Having people at work ask "is everything OK" since I look like s**t

Hiding shakes from people at work

Having people look at me weird (and me thinking they know I'm abusing alcohol)

On and on...............

The cycle has to end somehow.

I'm going to try cold turkey (again) this weekend.

Man does this desease suck!!

RV GTO
Old 07-18-2007, 09:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi goat,
welcome read some threads people say talk to your doctor first. Its a good idea. Have someone wacth you and keep check on your blood pressure they got some great caring people on here who have some good stuff.Hang around few days people will help you all they can.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thy will, not mine

I went to an AA meeting. I called different groups for a few days, but I got there and after that first meeting back a group of people took me to a members house and we played cards untill 3 am. I had tried a few times to quit, but I had to ask for help from people who understand what alcoholism is. Willingness the key!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi RV, this disease sux ass right enough. Cold turkey is dangerous, I would advise seeing your doctor. Can I suggest you check out the 'stickies' at the top of this forum? There is some good info there.
I am only 18 days sober myself so I know how you are feeling.
You could also consider posting in the 'newcomers' forum, anyhoo-welcome and good luck!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Open Minded

Welcome from me too. I'm 21 days sober today, congrats on your decision!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, rv. congrats on your decision. be safe in the first days of recovery. and keep posting! blessings, k

(you given any thought to aa meetings?)
Old 07-19-2007, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by baggervance View Post
hi goat,
welcome read some threads people say talk to your doctor first. Its a good idea. Have someone wacth you and keep check on your blood pressure they got some great caring people on here who have some good stuff.Hang around few days people will help you all they can.
LOL, you know your GTO's

And a sincere thanks to everyone who responded. I have to get my life back.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

RV we are not doctors, please see one and be totally honest with the doc.

Here is what many of us do know, detoxing with out medical supervision can kill!!!

It can kill you even if you have some one who knows how to help folks get through it, seizures that can lead to a VERY quick and painful death can come on with no warning.

If you just have to go cold turkey I beg of you to please call your local AA hotline and see if they can get some folks to stay with you through it, there are still quite a few old timers around who know how to fairly safely detox even the worst of us. Talk to a doc, there is no reason to put yourself through the possible hell of detox cold turkey and gamble on dying.

Keep in mind that the helping hand of AA is always there to help, all you have to do is ask, you are not alone. We have walked in your shoes, we have been there and done that, we have been in that bottomless pit and we know the way out, and all you have to do is ask.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Suggest you find some meetings to augment your sobriety! Otherwise it's so hard just to quite, I found...also don't wait for the weekend!!! dO IT NOW!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey RV,,,I have been where your at to many times to count!! Detoxing alone is a very difficult thing to do,, and as stated very dangerous!! My disease has progressed so far now that when I self detox without medication or medical supervision, I sometimes go into seizures,,, most always suffer dementia, and anymore after long benders go into the DT's!!! Very Very Dangerous,,, becareful!! I've been sober now about 21/2 mos.,,, don't get in here often enough and have only posted a few times!! Wish you the best,, but don't wait,, do it now!!! I used to get up and look at myself in the mirror and say,,,"tomorrow I'm quiting" many many times tomorrow never came!!! But here I am many tomorrows later and I am sober today!!! If you read my posts,, you'll see that being sober doesn't always mean that life gets better real quick,, in fact mine really sucks right now,,, but the only thing that could make this bad situation worse,,, would be if I were to pick up!!! Welcome aboard this train,,,, I'll ride it with ya!!!! Good Luck again!!! Crawlingout
Old 07-19-2007, 11:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi RV. Great decision! Don't try to do it alone - get as much help and support as you can find. Like you said, the realization that others have gone through the same awful experiences as you is priceless. The help those other people can offer you is invaluable. Good luck, NL.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow RV, it's got you bad ! And it's going to get worse. Soon, you'll be reaching for the bottle first thing in the morning to stop those pesky shakes !

I was at a freakin' JC Penney supplier conference once. Suits and Ties and mover/shakers everywhere. We broke for lunch which was buffet style. I suddenly realized there was NO WAY I could stand in line with a plate in my hand, shaking like a leaf. I begged out (stomach ache or some BS) and found a bar.

That's what you get to look forward to.

I de-toxed several times. The hard part is staying stopped. The only thing I found that works is AA. And I tried just about everything else.

Try it. It's not what you probably think it is. I know I was wrong about AA.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Welcome RV GTO . The weekend isn't here quite yet... you still have time to at least talk to your doctor before going cold turkey. Quitting drinking is admirable...dying while detoxing is condsiderably less appealing.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Welcome RV. You are making an incredibly fine decision.

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
I suddenly realized there was NO WAY I could stand in line with a plate in my hand, shaking like a leaf. I begged out (stomach ache or some BS) and found a bar.
Just reading that takes me back to days I never want to live again. I can remember facing that same dilemma and I can remember the sense of relief (followed almost immediately by the sense of guilt) that came with the escape to the bar. And then after a few, the denial and rationalization would set in and nothing would change.

God, what a freaking nightmare that was. Even if A.A. had turned out to be half as bad as I imagined it to be, it would have been better than that endless downward cycle but of course it was nothing like I imagined it to be and neither is sobriety.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome to SR RV!

hugs
Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome RV!
I may be a little late posting, but i hope you stick around.
Sometimes it would take me 3 days to pay the bills. One day to find them, one day to balance the checkbook, and one day to actually write the checks. Been there, done that. Don't have to do it anymore.

Glad you're here!

Blessings to you my friend!

BHJ
Old 07-19-2007, 08:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum..

Yes...you certainly found a lot
of your kin folks here.

We do understand
Please post often ...we can help.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm going to try cold turkey (again) this weekend.

sounds like you cam do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

best
fraankie
Old 07-20-2007, 07:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome,