Notices

Setting a day to quit

Old 07-05-2007, 03:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

If your de-tox is anything like any of ours was, lifting weights and cardio will be the last thing on your mind.

Excersise and fitness are great, but they are not going to cure alcoholism.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR MPR -

Believe it or not, quitting is the easy part. It's staying quit that is hard. It's a whole lifestyle change, a whole attitude change, and at least for me, I can't do it alone. Do you have a plan, a program to help you. I won't tout one program over the other, but some type of support is needed.

Keep posting!

TinLizzy
Old 07-05-2007, 03:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Everyone...

Chapter 5 time.

mpr....
Many of us do have a solution
and it's works great.

Give yourself all possible tools
to find your healthy sober life.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by GrouchoTheCat View Post
Withdrawel can cause blood pressure to soar. This is the main reason it's so dangerous.

You may want to put the excersise off for a while.

Not a Doctor
i don't drink very much though i mean i have done cardio on other day when i had been drinking previously... i will give it a try and see what happens, just play it by ear i guess
Old 07-05-2007, 03:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
mpr

i am basically just trying to do as much as i can to prepare for this but right now my will feels strong and i really just want to stop and i do have some motivation so its now or never!
Old 07-05-2007, 03:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Speaking for myself I was the Grand Master planner. I plotted and planned my "retirement" from the brotherhood of the bottle for many years. I actually arrived at the optimum, can't fail whiz-bang mother of all days to quit. It was TOMORROW. Biggest problem was I was always a day off from my scheduled "new life." However that was just me, everyone is different. Sometimes the wind isn't right to quit, or the weather as a whole isn't conducive to "drying up." Finally one night I made up my mind and instead of pouring good Canadian whiskey down the sink, I drank it and that was the end of my stellar career as a drunken fool. I have continued with the fool part of the job discription but no longer do it drunk.

However, drawing on my expertise as a procrastinator and since I couldn't face the "never" part of not drinking again, I have employed my skills and promised myself that I can drink again, but it will have to be tomorrow. So far a few years have passed and with AA and some really fine supportive friends, and a family, some of whom IE. grandkids have never seen me drunk, I have managed to "put off" until tomorrow that next drink and stay sober.

Do what works for you and I wish you all the very best, but if you get started now it just gives you that much more life to really experience as opposed to planning to experience it.

Good luck regardless.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by Jfanagle View Post
Speaking for myself I was the Grand Master planner. I plotted and planned my "retirement" from the brotherhood of the bottle for many years. I actually arrived at the optimum, can't fail whiz-bang mother of all days to quit. It was TOMORROW. Biggest problem was I was always a day off from my scheduled "new life." However that was just me, everyone is different. Sometimes the wind isn't right to quit, or the weather as a whole isn't conducive to "drying up." Finally one night I made up my mind and instead of pouring good Canadian whiskey down the sink, I drank it and that was the end of my stellar career as a drunken fool. I have continued with the fool part of the job discription but no longer do it drunk.

However, drawing on my expertise as a procrastinator and since I couldn't face the "never" part of not drinking again, I have employed my skills and promised myself that I can drink again, but it will have to be tomorrow. So far a few years have passed and with AA and some really fine supportive friends, and a family, some of whom IE. grandkids have never seen me drunk, I have managed to "put off" until tomorrow that next drink and stay sober.

Do what works for you and I wish you all the very best, but if you get started now it just gives you that much more life to really experience as opposed to planning to experience it.

Good luck regardless.
i planned many times myself as well... monday fresh week, friday everyone else i drinking so i'll quit, wed mid week, end of month so i could start a fresh month, first week of a month the list goes on & on i have come to the conclusion that all days are the same so any will do on that note tomorrow will be my day
Old 07-05-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

May tomorrow be the first day of the rest of your life. Email me anytime and find yourself a good AA group. I will mark July, 6th as your sobriety date.

Good luck,
Jon
Old 07-05-2007, 04:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
mpr

May tomorrow be the first day of the rest of your life. Email me anytime and find yourself a good AA group. I will mark July, 6th as your sobriety date.

Good luck,
Jon
thank you i do appreciate it... odd as it may be knowing that someone else is marking tomorrow as my sobriety date makes me feel as though i can do it, last thing i want to do is post that i did not follow through, i think i can do this
Old 07-05-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Open Minded

You can do this :0) Welcome to SR!
Old 07-05-2007, 04:44 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by needtobefree View Post
You can do this :0) Welcome to SR!
i know the key here is to stay strong and keep myself busy.. replace the old bad habit(drinking) with a more productive habit like fitness/movies/friends etc..
Old 07-05-2007, 04:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

slow down...relax...take it easy....REAL easy!

hi MPR....I am glad you decided to quit again...and I think it's great that you think you have it all,"planned out"..and that you have,"a strategy"....Just know,that somethings don't go according to schedule,or go as planned....Your body will have to adjust,things and challenges will pop up,and you will have to take things on,"one minute at a time" sometimes...Just try and relax,and let your body and your mind guide you through....and if you need help...ask for it.good luck and be well..KT
Old 07-05-2007, 05:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by karrotop View Post
hi MPR....I am glad you decided to quit again...and I think it's great that you think you have it all,"planned out"..and that you have,"a strategy"....Just know,that somethings don't go according to schedule,or go as planned....Your body will have to adjust,things and challenges will pop up,and you will have to take things on,"one minute at a time" sometimes...Just try and relax,and let your body and your mind guide you through....and if you need help...ask for it.good luck and be well..KT
ya i know things might not go quite as planned but i just have a rough plan how i would like to go plus it makes me feel as though i have some control in this... i just hope i get through this, it must be done though... better now than later i figure well tomorrow technically lol
Old 07-05-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
mpr

i've planned and prepared as much as i can now so lets hope tomorrow goes as planned! it really is now or never i have to break free from this... will keep you all updated thanks for everything!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
mpr

so here i am it is friday i will not drink today... i will update/post once i pass midnight
Old 07-06-2007, 08:50 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Good luck my friend. I will tell you that I knew that sobriety really had me by the throat when instead of viewing my abstinence as "I can't drink" I suddenly realized that as a result of AA and its twelve steps, "I didn't HAVE TO DRINK anymore."

Keep busy today, go out and take a walk and "window shop" the world that is now yours to see through clear eyes and to live the way it is supposed to be lived. Call family and friends and occupy your time with positive actions. The day will go by before you know it. You might even check out the local AA meetings. Just a suggestion, remeber in the fellowship all we have is suggestions, no rules. I have never been good with rules, but suggestions are something that I can get behind.

Jon
Old 07-06-2007, 08:58 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
let it grow!

one day at a time, mpr...post anytime! blessings, k
Old 07-06-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
mpr

Good luck my friend. I will tell you that I knew that sobriety really had me by the throat when instead of viewing my abstinence as "I can't drink" I suddenly realized that as a result of AA and its twelve steps, "I didn't HAVE TO DRINK anymore."

Keep busy today, go out and take a walk and "window shop" the world that is now yours to see through clear eyes and to live the way it is supposed to be lived. Call family and friends and occupy your time with positive actions. The day will go by before you know it. You might even check out the local AA meetings. Just a suggestion, remeber in the fellowship all we have is suggestions, no rules. I have never been good with rules, but suggestions are something that I can get behind.

Jon
during the day i am fine it is the evening that is troublesome as that is the time i usually go pick up some booze but i have made plans to get some food at that exact time so i think i should be good for today but i will post back with updates, thanks again for everything!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:40 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by parentrecovers View Post
one day at a time, mpr...post anytime! blessings, k
thanks means alot!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:31 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I read somewhere that a craving passes in 6 minutes... I don't know if it is true but I choose to believe it... when I get a craving (for alcohol... nicoteen... food... etc)... I acknowledge the craving mentally.. like... oh I am craving nicoteen... then I mentally tell myself no... go away... not today...

Then I look at a clock... and tell myself 6 minutes... usually the next time I look at a clock I remember oh... yeah I had a craving... and its been more than 6 minutes...

who knows if this actually works but it does for me... just knowing there will be an end to the craving and believing it will pass helps me... who knows if it is some weird placebo affect... I don't care because it works for me...

:-)

6 minutes...