watched a movie tonight no cravings feeling pretty good
Old 07-09-2007, 01:01 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
mpr

on another note day 3 is complete
Old 07-09-2007, 04:37 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on day 3 mpr, so what all are you doing besides exercise?

For this old drunk I discovered after 10 years of trying to moderate and quitting drinking that if all I changed was not drinking about myself that I would always wind up drinking again.

It was not until I went through detox and then on to AA where I learned that if I change nothing, then nothing changes..... which is the reason I was never able to sober for very long. Thanks to AA and working and living the steps of AA I have changed, I am now a happy confident person who looks the world in the eye without shame, I live life on lifes terms sober thanks to AA.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:36 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
let it grow!

stay strong, mpr - k
Old 07-09-2007, 10:33 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Congrats on day 3 mpr, so what all are you doing besides exercise?

For this old drunk I discovered after 10 years of trying to moderate and quitting drinking that if all I changed was not drinking about myself that I would always wind up drinking again.

It was not until I went through detox and then on to AA where I learned that if I change nothing, then nothing changes..... which is the reason I was never able to sober for very long. Thanks to AA and working and living the steps of AA I have changed, I am now a happy confident person who looks the world in the eye without shame, I live life on lifes terms sober thanks to AA.
well exercise of course, going out to movies, socializing a bit more, reading, doing various things i had put off before due to being drunk/hungover... during the day it is a breeze it is just the late night hours i try and occupy the most since that is when i would drink
Old 07-09-2007, 11:17 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

MPR, I used excersise for about 4 years . I rode Mountain Bikes, and raced at a very high level, just one step below Pro. This was while working full time, going to college part time, and being a homeowner, husband and dad.

Guess what ? I got tired. One day, "It suddenly occured to me" that maybe a drink would go well after work instead of training for 2.5 hours. Nothing happened at first, it was probably 6 months until I had my first hangover. But the drinking progressed, and well, you know the rest..
Old 07-09-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
MPR, I used excersise for about 4 years . I rode Mountain Bikes, and raced at a very high level, just one step below Pro. This was while working full time, going to college part time, and being a homeowner, husband and dad.

Guess what ? I got tired. One day, "It suddenly occured to me" that maybe a drink would go well after work instead of training for 2.5 hours. Nothing happened at first, it was probably 6 months until I had my first hangover. But the drinking progressed, and well, you know the rest..
well i'm just taking it one day at a time.. i can't control the future but i can control the present
Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Oof

I don't know if you've ever tried detoxing before since your drinking problem started but I agree with everybody that said you should consult a doctor or at least taper off gradually. The main reason I mention this is because I just went on a bender and then tried to go cold turkey TODAY. I got the shakes, couldn't keep down food, and there was some other uncool stuff going on. Anyways, I immediately contacted a clinic and set an appointment to start getting medically detoxed tomorrow.

Basically, I would recommend not trying to go cold turkey. It's not pleasent at all and I've read many posts on this website strongly warning aginst going cold turkey (which were great by the way. I did not know the dangers before then). Good luck.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Oof

Hey, it seems the post I just made is a little outdated. I'm glad to hear you're doing well.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:01 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by Oof View Post
Hey, it seems the post I just made is a little outdated. I'm glad to hear you're doing well.
i did taper down in the last while quit cold turkey and tomorrow is day 5 and haven't had any issues... thanks for the post of concern though i do appreciate it and i hope everything goes smooth with your detox as well!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:10 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
mpr

day 5... pretty close to week sober!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

One day at a time. Keep it up, good job !
Old 07-10-2007, 09:40 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

well exercise of course, going out to movies, socializing a bit more, reading, doing various things i had put off before due to being drunk/hungover... during the day it is a breeze it is just the late night hours i try and occupy the most since that is when i would drink
mpr the exercise and the like is good and I know helps, but what I was talking about in regards to changeing was not that, with me it was learning how to not lie to people or myself, it was learning to say I was sorry when I had done some one wrong even if I may never see them again, it was learning to not think the world revolved around me and that my problems were not caused by any one else but me. It was learning to not only for give others that had wronged me, but also to forgive myself for things I have done in the past. It has been learning how to get beyond the shame and guilt of my past. It has meant me learning to keep my ,outh shut when I have nothing nice to say and saying something when something needs to be said.

When I say change I am talking about me as a person, not my physique or staying busy, not that either of those are bad they are not.

I was a liar, a cheat, an egotist, self centered, paranoid, mean, angry man with no self-esteem. These are the things I have changed or am working on changing.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:47 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Great Job MPR!!

Keep up the good work -

TinLizzy
Old 07-10-2007, 12:35 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
mpr the exercise and the like is good and I know helps, but what I was talking about in regards to changeing was not that, with me it was learning how to not lie to people or myself, it was learning to say I was sorry when I had done some one wrong even if I may never see them again, it was learning to not think the world revolved around me and that my problems were not caused by any one else but me. It was learning to not only for give others that had wronged me, but also to forgive myself for things I have done in the past. It has been learning how to get beyond the shame and guilt of my past. It has meant me learning to keep my ,outh shut when I have nothing nice to say and saying something when something needs to be said.

When I say change I am talking about me as a person, not my physique or staying busy, not that either of those are bad they are not.

I was a liar, a cheat, an egotist, self centered, paranoid, mean, angry man with no self-esteem. These are the things I have changed or am working on changing.
oh okay i getcha... well in that regard my drinking never really affected anyone other than myself the alcohol screwed me over numerous times and i just hated what i had become which is ultimately led to me stopping... i have a different outlook on life now since i am seeing it through clear sober eyes which makes everything so much more different and meaningful and i am constantly looking for ways to better myself mentally/physically and i am now putting people i care about ahead of myself & my drinking the way it should have been all along.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:36 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
mpr

i am also sleeping alot better now not like the first 2 days where i could barely sleep at all
Old 07-10-2007, 05:49 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

Glad to see you're still doing great and feeling better!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I remember thinking that my drinking only effected me. A thorough first step revealed the truth. Anyone can take a good look at powerlessness and see the utter lack of control we have over our drinking. But it takes a COMPLETE understanding of unmanageability to see how our drinking effected the lives of those around us. When I was able to get honest and look at unmanageability, I was able to see that there wasn't a single family member, relationship, friendship, etc that wasn't effected by my drinking. My self centered, self seeking, and self absorbed thinking and behavior kept me from seeing this for a long time. I am convinced that we must have a thorough first step to have any real foundation in recovery. Without it, our foundation is merely sand.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:50 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear your updates mpr.

It sounds like things are going well!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:59 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
I'm glad to hear your updates mpr.

It sounds like things are going well!
ya so far so good... one day at a time