Notices

can an alcoholic ever drink again socially?

Old 10-01-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

oh wait - this thread is a year old! just realized....
Old 10-01-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
~sb

Thread begun in 2007. Brought to life a year ago & recently.

AA was originated for alcoholics who couldn't stop drinking, nott for bingers. Just saying...rehabs aren't always right in sending bingers there...
Old 10-01-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Thread begun in 2007. Brought to life a year ago & recently.

AA was originated for alcoholics who couldn't stop drinking, nott for bingers. Just saying...rehabs aren't always right in sending bingers there...
what is the difference between a "binger" and someone who can't stop drinking?

Tradition Three
“The only requirement for A.A. membership
is a desire to stop drinking.”
Old 10-01-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I'm not interested in drinking socially, so why would I try?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
A more important question than "can they drink socially?" is "will they drink socially?" This cuts through all the BS, because in most cases they will never drink socially, even if they could.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
A more important question than "can they drink socially?" is "will they drink socially?" This cuts through all the BS, because in most cases they will never drink socially, even if they could.
Excellent point TU . All the alcoholics I have come across in life never seemed to want social drinking limitations. A couple of drinks only would prime the pump for my past drinking buds, me included.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

"Can an alcoholic ever drink again socially?"

God knows I’ve tried…
Old 10-01-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by SomethingBetter View Post
"Can an alcoholic ever drink again socially?"

God knows I’ve tried…
If modern medicine came out with a pill that would allow me to drink socially - The first thing my alcoholic brain would want to do with it, would be to see just how "social" I could get.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:51 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

My drinking was most definitely anti-social.
If I could drink socially, I wouldn't define myself as an alcoholic.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I have asked myself this question as well and I think TU summed it up pretty good! I probably wouldn't drink socially even if I could!! I just know in my soul that I would end up where I was or worse....so I don't even toy with the idea....anymore.....I think of it as being highly allergic to alcohol...one drink..and I'm a goner....
Old 11-01-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic 2 years out of rehab.. This is such a huge issue it's unbelievable! It's in my mind such a personal issue. I drink on a Friday 3 bottles of cider that's my lot. I have the tools now in my mind to know exactly what I'm doing. If I'm deep down honest I know that I want to spend 4 days of my week drunk but I love my family (daughter) sis mum and all okok.. So I hold it down. But for how long I don't know.. I have an enabler oyfriend.. I wish I'd have never had anoth er drink I didn't for 1 and a half years please please look in your heart as no one knows you like you do..on.y you know if you can drink.. Just be honest beautiful lady xxxxx
Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

OP hasn't posted in 4+ years. Hope she's OK.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:40 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Loulabelle

D
Old 11-03-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I've put more energy into trying to drink without consequences than in any other part of my life. Every attempt has led me back to the same destructive end. For me, drinking just isn't an option. It's terrible that it took repeated trys to get to this point, but over all the trys in the past, I was always able to convince myself I could drink safely and it would take days, weeks or months but I always wound up in detox.

Truth is, I have never had a social drink in my life. When I drink, no matter what I tell myself, the objective is to get wrecked.

While this stinks, knowing it has liberated me in a sense.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
One day at a time...

I hear you on that point. I think I started to admit to myself I had a problem when I realized I had to give myself a "Don't drink so much you black out tonight" pep talk every time I met some friends for happy hour. I don't know what is worse, worrying about where your next drink is coming from or worrying about what you'll do once you have it.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by MisterHockey09 View Post
I hear you on that point. I think I started to admit to myself I had a problem when I realized I had to give myself a "Don't drink so much you black out tonight" pep talk every time I met some friends for happy hour. I don't know what is worse, worrying about where your next drink is coming from or worrying about what you'll do once you have it.
Same here then you worry bout the next mornin too
Old 11-03-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

can an alcoholic ever drink again socially?

NO!

Well definitely not this alcoholic anyway. Tried to after 28 mnths of fabulous sobriety...long story cut short - 10 hr drinking binge that left me in a blackout & also a whole load of heartache. This was the 1st time of trying to drink again after 28 mnths, I will never, I repeat EVER try to drink socially again.

Today is Day 10 after my relapse, cravings have been had & fought & my word I'm so very happy to be here & to be sober
Old 11-03-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

The question of moderation was my greatest wish (fear) early in my sobriety (now sober 14 mos). I couldn't launch my sobriety and banish the idea of moderation until I had at least 6 months under my belt. Then I decided not to re-visit moderation until 1 yr. sober. At that time I considered myself a non-drinker and just don't miss drinking - even at functions where others were drinking. I am fine without a drink and can have a good time without wine so why risk it.

Moderation has never worked for me in the past so why would it be different now. BUT I had to live sober for about a year to feel that I don't NEED to drink - others can try to tell you but I feel you have to really live it to get it.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Thanks for your honesty. These matters aren't black and white. I used to be a huge alcohol and drug abuser until I turned seventeen. Then I put two and half years of sobriety together in AA. Then I went out again at age twenty and stayed out for sixteen years. I never used as much as I did when I was a teenager. I would allow myself nights out on the town where anything goes. On average I would get lit up once week, or twice a week, or just once in a month's time. My story didn't match my preconceived idea of an alcoholic.

So many people with a troubled drinking past struggle with whether they are an alcoholic or not. Probably one third of AA members struggle with labeling themselves alcoholics. My guess is that everyone introduces themselves as an "alcoholic" in order to not stand out and for the sake of unity. And besides, where is the true dividing line that makes one an alcoholic and another not?

AA biases everything they say to fit their understanding of alcoholism. With AA it's about absolutes. Either you are or you aren't alcoholic. But who's to say that a dividing line even exists? And who can precisely explain it? No one. Only we ourselves can say whether we have a problem with drinking or not.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR butterfly

Either you are or you aren't alcoholic.
pretty hard to be 7/8 an alcoholic tho

D