Notices

can an alcoholic ever drink again socially?

Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Myself, I have been sober for 2 months now.
and i'm not about to experiment with moderation drinking yet., but i know i will.

i drank to get drunk. not dead drunk into black abyss, but enough to get the buzz. i drank every day and over the years, the quantity had to increase to get the buzz.

i figure, after 1 year of sobriety, my tolerance for alcohol will have come down to nothing, like the first time i started drinking, and i will get the buzz after a beer or two. - right?

and knowing what i know, i will only drink twice a week, max.

i think it will work. but we are not hearing from those of us, who have tried moderation successfully. i guess that's because they don't feel the need to belong to a support group like this
Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

...sigh...
Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

For me, I think it's just a part of myself that I have to be so very vigilant about. I also used to be a black out binge drinker. I stopped drinking after having a very serious maybe even almost fatal incident that was alcohol related. Years passed and I wouldn't even think of drinking. My husband drinks and I was never tempted to make my own drinks. Fast forward to me also feeling more confident in my sobriety and I began introducing alcohol back into my life. In no time, I was blacking out again. I cannot stop myself once I'm 3 drinks in. That's something I'm going ot have to deal with for the rest of my life. I can't be a social drinker or I will wind up losing everything and hating myself. There's nothing like waking up the next day with that horrible sinking feeling of shame coupled with a horrible hangover. That's not me anymore and it takes true maturity not to put myself in that position.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.
Wow. So true.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.
I respectfully disagree. I do not obsess over poison consumption.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

A lot of my old drinking friends will ask me if I'll ever be able to drink again, or if I'll ever be able to control it...my response is always, I hope I never drink again.
I do get that little voice telling me that I can handle drinking in moderation, and control and limit my drinks to maybe 2 or 3, instead of 7 or 8. I'm not sure if I'll ever try drinking socially again.
But for today, I am sober and happy with that.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I too ask myself sometimes if I ever could drink in moderation. But I know that there's no fun in that for me, I enjoy drinking to get drunk, not to remain sober.
In fact I always hated drinking a few beers, it got me a headache and I would crave getting drunk the rest of the day.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Originally Posted by Forehand36 View Post

i figure, after 1 year of sobriety, my tolerance for alcohol will have come down to nothing, like the first time i started drinking, and i will get the buzz after a beer or two. - right?
No, tolerance doesn't come down, that's the problem with alcoholism. You will still need the same amount of alcohol as the day you quit. And the withdrawals will get worse because of the kindling effect.

Don't fool yourself.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

The fact that you had so much trouble with alcohol and chose to drink again at all is worth taking a look at.

A friend of mine got some bad clams or something when he was a kid, got really sick, and hasn't touched shellfish since. I can't even talk him into a crab rangoon at a Chinese restaurant (and those don't even have any actual crab in them AFAIK).... This seems a more rational approach to something that causes great illness and suffering when ingested.

My own experience when returning to drinking after some sobriety is that I drank socially just long enough to prove to myself that I had it licked and then it was "game on!"
Old 05-30-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forehand36 View Post
but we are not hearing from those of us, who have tried moderation successfully.

We're not hearing from leprechauns or santa's little elves either. I wonder why?

Accepted science has shown that once someone develops that "phenomenon of craving" alcohol will always set off that physiological reaction in the brain even after prolonged abstinence.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TSDD View Post
We're not hearing from leprechauns or santa's little elves either. I wonder why?
I think I know the answer, but I'm not tellin.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Can we have a definition of social drinking please...?!

For me, 'social drinking' was 6-10 pints on a night out as opposed to the 6-10 pints I drank at home alone. I really don't see the difference. If people think they can miraculously have the occasional sherry at Christmas like my great aunt did I'd be interested in knowing what the point would be and why alcohol is that important...?

And does anyone know where I read that thing about excessive alcohol altering your brain chemistry or something so that when returned to drinking your brain would remember how to process those large amounts which is why you end up pretty much where you left off...? I read it somewhere and it seems to make sense to me.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac
And does anyone know where I read that thing about excessive alcohol altering your brain chemistry or something so that when returned to drinking your brain would remember how to process those large amounts which is why you end up pretty much where you left off...? I read it somewhere and it seems to make sense to me.
I think you're referring to dopamine depletion.

Alcohol (along with other substances) reduce the presence of certain dopamine receptors in the brain so that you need a stronger stimulus to feel pleasure from it. I think this is the current definition of an addictive substance. This is why the first high you get from any addictive substance is always stronger than any you'll get later on.

It's not quite the same process as tolerance. I have no idea if tolerance goes down or not, but it means you'll always need more booze to make you feel good.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Location: “It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
If I can ever get to the point to where I don't think of it as something I "need" I will NEVER, EVER consider it as something I WANT. I have a loooong way to go, and I may not ever get there, but if I Do...I ain't takin no chances of returning! WHY WOULD YOU?
Old 06-01-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

I drank enough for several lifetimes and I was secretly jealous of people that didn't drink at all. I'll never go back. Drinking and cig smoking are two totally stupid habits that I picked up as a teen. What a curse!
Old 06-01-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

I really don't know a whole lot about the chemistry of an alcoholic's body and mind, so I can't make statements about the possibility of whether or not an alcoholic physically can return to social/moderated drinking. For me, it boils down to WHY I drink in the first place. Why I ever used any substance, in fact. It wasn't to spicen up a good time or to just have a few drinks. It was to get completely drunk to numb unwanted emotions and avoid dealing with them. That inevitably lead to excessive daily use for me, because I had to remain drunk all the time to avoid addressing my real issues. I'm not interested in using a substance the way moderate users do. I guess it's hard for me to see the purpose in having ONE beer out with friends and then calling it a night. I'm much more likely to have 18 of them at home alone. That's why alcohol has no place in my life, and social drinking just doesn't seem to be my style, so to speak.

I can say that in my recent relapse this past week, at first I really thought that since I'd been sober a few months, I wouldn't end up drinking so much because my body had gotten used to sobriety. I was totally wrong, though. I went right back to where I was before, and in fact, if it weren't for a lack of funds, I probably would have drank more than ever. It used to take me about 24 hours to finish a liter of vodka, which in itself is a lot. Just the other day I went through a pint of vodka in a couple hours, and went out to get more.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Noro View Post
I really don't know a whole lot about the chemistry of an alcoholic's body and mind, so I can't make statements about the possibility of whether or not an alcoholic physically can return to social/moderated drinking. For me, it boils down to WHY I drink in the first place. Why I ever used any substance, in fact. It wasn't to spicen up a good time or to just have a few drinks. It was to get completely drunk to numb unwanted emotions and avoid dealing with them. That inevitably lead to excessive daily use for me, because I had to remain drunk all the time to avoid addressing my real issues. I'm not interested in using a substance the way moderate users do. I guess it's hard for me to see the purpose in having ONE beer out with friends and then calling it a night. I'm much more likely to have 18 of them at home alone. That's why alcohol has no place in my life, and social drinking just doesn't seem to be my style, so to speak.

I can say that in my recent relapse this past week, at first I really thought that since I'd been sober a few months, I wouldn't end up drinking so much because my body had gotten used to sobriety. I was totally wrong, though. I went right back to where I was before, and in fact, if it weren't for a lack of funds, I probably would have drank more than ever. It used to take me about 24 hours to finish a liter of vodka, which in itself is a lot. Just the other day I went through a pint of vodka in a couple hours, and went out to get more.
I did most of drinking at home at night. especially with drunk driving laws, can't afford to sit behind the wheel drunk.

the way i used to drink was have a couple with buddies at a bar, then come home and start drinking. I drank till i got a good buzz. I drank to get drunk, not to savour the taste of beer.

so, maybe it is not a good idea to try moderation drinking afterwards, but I know I will. I miss it too much not to give it a try. see if i can do it.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Truthfully, yes some people that had problems with drinking can learn to moderate. I think that the number of these people are quite low compared to the people that try in and fail miserably. For me, I got this terrible bad habit out of my life; I don't want to ever open the door to let it back in. I am enjoying my sobriety now. It took a while until I felt this way. I don't entertain the idea of moderate drinking, because my experience with it wasn't very fun at all.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Administrator

so, maybe it is not a good idea to try moderation drinking afterwards, but I know I will. I miss it too much not to give it a try. see if i can do it.
Even with your fatty liver you've been worried about, Forehand?
That's actually pretty hardcore, doncha think?

I hope you'll give sobriety a real chance - you may find your perspective shifts.

D
Old 06-01-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Even with your fatty liver you've been worried about, Forehand?
That's actually pretty hardcore, doncha think?

I hope you'll give sobriety a real chance - you may find your perspective shifts.

D
Hi Dee

if and when i get cured of "fatty liver disease", and only then, i will try the moderation.

and maybe you are right, - i'm only couple of months into not drinking now, and maybe a year from now, i will have lost the desire to try. but for now, i have the desire.

next Friday, i'm seeing my doctor to find out what stage my fatty liver is at. i only have ultrasound done so far, and will ask him for CT scan to more clearly see.