Notices

Starting over again

Old 05-28-2007, 11:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm staying close to SR and attending AA whenever I'm in Laramie, WY. I've only been to two meetings so far because I'm not there very often, but will continue to attend everytime I'm there.
Move.

Seriously. SR is great but it ain't gonna cut it. If you're having withdraw, you're well into the middle stage pushing into the last. Put your sobriety first and foremost. Don't let anything get in the way.

I was "lucky" enough to get fired, so I was able to attend lots of meetings (120 in 90 days or so). It worked, It worked really well. I'm 7 months in, have worked the steps, and don't hate life anymore.

Last edited by GlassPrisoner; 05-28-2007 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Fumble fingers
Old 05-28-2007, 11:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. GlassPrisoner, I can't move. I'm married to an incredible man with a very lucrative business that he's had for 25 years. Not to mention, even though I don't attend AA here, it's a small mountain community with only 800 people, is pretty stress-free, no traffic lights, darn few stop signs, even. I couldn't be in a better place for a peaceful existence. With all the wonderful positive things we have here, the negative of not being able to attend AA is a small price to pay. And an additional good thing - only one of all the in-laws lives here!

The only withdrawals I had were shakes which I was able to easily overcome. Because I'd had my blood drawn and liver checked, I know I was only in the early stages. I had fatty liver and within two weeks of quitting (the last time) my liver was back to normal. I feel really good about my decision to quit (again) and know that with my husband's support, I can do it. And, as I said, I will attend AA whenever I'm in Laramie. As a matter of fact, I'll be there again in a few days. In the meantime, I know I can use that phone list anytime and that really helps.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Just do as best you can, Nanita. I know you can do it. Take things a day at a time.
I'm proud of you for stopping, and I'm behind you %100.

P
Old 05-28-2007, 03:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Nanita I wish you the best, it really sounds like your head is in a good space. You might look into the loner aa program. I think it's like AA by mail. (do they still do snail mail?)

Take care,

Ted
Old 05-28-2007, 03:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Is there AA there ?

strees-free, no traffic lights, darn few stop signs, even. I couldn't be in a better place for a peaceful existence.
Stress, etc are not your problems. Outside issues may contribute a little, but it's an inside job getting sober.

and know that with my husband's support, I can do it
"B. ...probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism"

or

"Job or no job, wife or no wife, let no alcoholic tell you that can't recover unless...."

Not hardlining you. Just pointing out what has been suggested to me, and my own personal experience.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

keep going, kid

best
fraankie
Old 05-29-2007, 03:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Made it through day 4 and the Memorial Day Weekend. One day at a time.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Good job Nanita. So are you going to Laramie today or tomorrow?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

No, not going to Laramie today or tomorrow. Broken foot still prevents me from walking all the way through the Civic Center and up two flights of stairs to the meeting. However, I'll be going next Tuesday (I know, it's a week away) and should be able to handle the stairs by then. In the meantime, I'll use the phone list if I need it and one of the ladies there offered to meet for for lunch or whatever if I need someone to talk to in person before I can get to a meeting.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

nanita sounds like you have some good folks out your way. So is the foot starting to feel better? I am surprised to hear of a second floor meeting, we AA's seem to get the ground floor or the basement!! LOL
Old 05-29-2007, 08:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Tazman - Actually, the foot's not doing as well as it should be. It was doing great until I went to Sheridan to get my mom home from the nursing home. I wasn't supposed to be on it for four weeks and I spent a day and a half grocery shopping, etc. for her. By the time I got back home my foot was trashed. So, I've spent all the time since then trying to get back to where I was. Think I'm finally there - it didn't hurt too bad yesterday and feels a little better yet today. The stupid things we do! Thanks for asking.

I honestly think it's weird to have AA meetings on the 2nd floor - what about handicapped people? It's quite a ways through the building to the stairs and once you get to othe 2nd floor, it's quite a ways down the hall to the meeting room.