Notices

What the hell is a dry drunk?????

Old 05-12-2007, 07:30 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Dry Drunk?

Google for info please

About dot com has an excellent explanation.

Blessings
Old 05-12-2007, 07:49 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the replies
Old 05-12-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

What the hell is a dry drunk ??????

A dry drunk is Hell. Second only to the end stages.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:24 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I 'gotta agtree with Peter, Zencat, and some others.....the term 'dry drunk' is usually used by folks when looking at others and deciding whether those others are sober, or in recovery/recovering/recovered, or just abstinent, or living a wholesome life, or or or or.....

I'm sort of in the camp of Patty O. (a great AA circuit speaker, and if you haven't heard her, check her out.....she spoke at Founder's Day 2005 and there's a three-disk set of her 'These are the Steps We took'..... Patty O. likes to say that there's no such thing as a dry drunk; a person is either sober or they're not, and if they're not drinking; they're sober.....

My feelings are that I don't get to define alcoholic, sober, recovery, wholesome life, or anything else for anybody except me; I don't get ao assume that if a person is just abstinent/just not drinking that they're white knuckling it or that they're still obsessing about alcohol, or that they're unhappy, or they're sick.....and that goes for everybody.....We only get to talk about ourselves.....if a person is happy, who am I do throw derogatory terms in their face..... )o:

Oftentimes in the past, and sometimes even to this day I've been called 'not sober' cause I wasn't living up to someone's expectations of a sober life. The phrase I liked most that was thrown at me was: "She's just a relapse waiting to happen." Unfortunately, most (actually all that I remember) of those folks did relapse, and, again, unfortunately, most died 'out there.' .....and me? I'll be celebrating 21 years clean/sober (I know, a redundancy.....lol) next month..... (o:

I try not to put folks into categories (either positive or negaive); if they're happy (again, they're decision, not mine), goodonthem; but if they're unhappy and ask for help I'm more than eager with suggestions..... (o:

NoelleR
DOS: 6/23/86
Old 05-12-2007, 10:33 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I do not subscribe to the "dry drunk" philosophy simply because recovery is not a "measurable commodity".

I know what the expression means but we all do not recover at the same pace or time...... or even in the same manner.

Just because someone has stopped drinking and may be having a difficult time of it does not make him a "dry drunk".The term is a negatory one and I refrain from using it.
Well said. Just because someone is having trouble with sobriety doesn't mean they are not committed to self-improvement. The journey could take months or it could take years.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Most people term it as sober poeple still being a-holes.
But sometimes it is miss leading.
Sometimes it's just people going thru growning pains.

A dry drunk is a reminder that's it's still un-curable.
Just like having an alergy is it always there and sometimes
it's growning and didn't actaully go into remission or is still progessing
inside of me. I can feel it no matter how sober I've been.
I still get a rash of insanity even when I'm sober and feel like
I'm sick or dizzy even if i don't drink or use. The only differents
is by not actaully using..it passes... instead of me getting on a
runaway train wreack.
It is actaully more dangerous for me to relapsed today than
when i was younger. This how it's affecting me and i'm exaclly
sure how everyone body chemistry are.

For me..that's why it's always a continouse growth.
I still have to out grow the disease no matter what.
For me ...that why the spritual aspect of the program is very important.
I need to follow my heart and not my head sometimes.
becuase if i start judging myself too hard when these dry drunk episode
hits. I think I'm not doing right or recovery is not working and actaully go out and drink again.
yes, it's that cunning, baffling and powerful.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Well said Noelle. Thank you.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:13 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Great thread. I like it when I start reading a thread with one opinion and finish it with a different one..
Old 05-12-2007, 11:15 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paulmh View Post
Great thread. I like it when I start reading a thread with one opinion and finish it with a different one..
Me too Paul.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:51 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Who/ where did the term dry drunk originate? Does anyone know? I do know the various interpretations and definitions... just wondering who made it up in the first place. Too tired to google. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2007, 09:52 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Bump
Old 06-17-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Noelle, that's a good point when talking about others. However, I have been a dry drunk in the past. Restless, irritable, dis-content. I white knuckled it for years.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:21 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

labeling? good grief. I don't recall anyone telling me I was a dry drunk before or after I became a wet drunk again. I is a condition I have given myself when I'm in that mode. Another term used that I haven't heard in awhile is "relapse behavior" or "relapse thinking". Would that be considered labeling? I think it simply describes the condition. And the fact is, only I can determine that just as I determined I was an alcoholic. Oops, another label. If I hadn't been able to get real honest about what was going on when I was on my dry drunk, I'd still be flat out miserable, hating life and everyone around me. Attempting to recover from this disease is one thing, just not drinking is another. I have experienced it and know there is a difference.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

flat out miserable, hating life and everyone around me.
Nail....head......
Old 06-18-2007, 07:50 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

http://www.doubletongued.org/index.p...ary/dry_drunk/

Check this out, any one else who thinks that AA is the inventor of the "Dry Drunk" There is a reference in this to a newspaper article dated 1891!!!! That is just a few years before AA was even thought about!

http://www.kenpeterscenter.com/dry.htm
http://www.squidoo.com/DryDrunk/

From the above links it sure looks as though "Dry Drunk" is not strictly limited to AA. Here is what the Ken Peters Center says about it:

WHAT'S A "DRY DRUNK"?
"Dry drunk" is a term describing the state of the alcoholic who is uncomfortable when he is not drinking. "Dry" simply refers to the fact that there is abstinence, while "drunk" signifies a deeply pathological condition resulting from the use of alcohol in the past.

The "dry drunk syndrome" is a group of symptoms that occur together and constitute an abnormality. Since the abnormality of the alcoholic's attitudes and behavior during his drinking career is generally recognized, the persistence of these traits after the alcoholic stops drinking might seem equally abnormal. Therefore, the term "dry-drunk" alludes to the absence of favorable change in the attitudes and behavior of the alcoholic who is not drinking.

"Dry Drunk" Traits:

Grandiose behavior
Pomposity
Exaggerated self-importance
A rigidly judgmental outlook
Impatience
Childish behavior
Irresponsible behavior
Irrational rationalization
Projection
Overreaction

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/...ract/112/6/460

Notice even The American Psychiatric Association recognized "THE PSYCHODYNAMICS OF THE "DRY DRUNK" " back in 1955

Funny thing they said even back then that one of the best ways for a dry drunk to gain recovery was in AA.