Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Depression and mild anxiety AFTER quitting drinking

Notices

Depression and mild anxiety AFTER quitting drinking

Old 07-11-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Round 2

Well I’m back after a pretty heavy relapse. Doing this thing again..... I’m sure there is a million excuses I can make for my most recent foray back into drinking but when it really boils down to it.... there are none, it’s all on me. I found my way back to this place and once again am finding comfort in the fact that I am not alone.
Thanks everyone
Old 07-12-2018, 12:11 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back jbel - whats your recovery plan this time?

D
Old 07-12-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Back

Jbel,

I too was like you, the revolving door. Then I found that if I wanted different results to my problems I had to try something different. I gave AA a whirl,with 100% amount of effort I used to put into my drinking. I was promised if I tried it for a year honestly and it wasn't working for me that I can always have my missery back. I have been recovered now from my drinking for over 18 months now. Here's how I did it, I got a AA big book and actually read it, when I didn't understand a word I looked it up. I got a sponsor, someone that has worked the 12 steps of AA to show me how they did it. I honestly took the steps from 1 to 12. I went to at least 1.meeting at a home group fo a. Year, I thought I was hopeless. Turns out I just needed to honestly try something different to get different results.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:07 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Hi Guys, Thank you, this thread has just kicked in like an anti-depressant!
I have often worried that my drinking was a problem and that it wasn't good for my health. When I took the box of empty liquor bottles out for recycling, I always felt a bit ashamed.
Anyway, I stopped drinking 8 days ago to try and sort out a sinus issue, and have been feeling 'different', sort of fed up with how my life is, pissed off with other people, and also energised to 'get **** done'.
Then this morning I woke up and didn't really want to face the day.
I have had depressed periods before, but now I'm wondering if it was related to the amount I drink and the weekly cycle (drunk Friday and Saturday nights, 2 or 3 doubles during the week).
I am not an alcoholic, just like to drink, now I'm sorting out this problem, I think it might be good to keep it going. But this morning really wasn't fun.
This thread has helped me massively, to try and keep it going, find (other) ways to make me feel good and if needed, seek medical help.
But maybe having people to share this with, and realise this is not unusual is the 'little pill' I need to keep me going.
By the way, I have quit smoking and now think smokers are fools (don't take that personally, please) and have often thought drinking was a bit dumb too.
Maybe this little exercise is what I need to move me on and quit drinking permanently too.

Padd
Old 05-01-2019, 04:36 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
quat

Padd welcome aboard and hope to see you around. Quitting permanently and unconditionally is certainly possible , millions and millions have done it.

I suggest you check out the Secular recovery forum and subforums right here on SR for some great ideas on Permanent Abstinence ( a whole subforum ) , read through the stickies and the longer threads , rootin for ya !
Old 05-01-2019, 04:41 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Padd

withdrawal can be a little bit of an emotional rollercoaster - it helped me to think of those highs and lows simply as my mind and body getting back to normal after years of regular self administered poisonings.

Stick with it - hope you'll get a little of that energy and good spirits back again soon

D
Old 05-01-2019, 05:10 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Yes.
Alcohol abuse can alter one's brain chemistry over time.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:50 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Yes.
Alcohol abuse can alter one's brain chemistry over time.
This is true. But the good news/flip side is that it can also still be changed for the better over time after quitting too. Not usually in a matter of days or weeks or months, but you can re-establish your mental health to a better place. Some call it "rewiring" your neural pathways - or brain chemistry - but whatever you call it it's definitely possible.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:23 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
SIB

I was in the dumps big time at the 2 month mark but I came out of it, I am over 90 days now and seem to be pretty stabilized now. But the two month mark, the ups and downs were brutal and I am not calling it PAWS either, I think it was just the fact I was back into a real life again and not just drinking everyday (hiding).
Old 02-29-2020, 08:16 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Thank you for this thread

This post helped me when I was in very depressed state. I am doing much better and wanted to share what is working for me.

Alcohol History: First drinks in college. Started college with a minor in beer and graduated with a masters in binge drinking blackouts. Fast forward to present – 44 y/o male been drinking heavily every day for two decades. Tried to stop a few times, and felt great when I did, but always started back up with a few sips that inevitably led to nightly binges. I was a very successful functioning alcoholic. Went to work M-F, extremely successful - wife, 2 kids and very active in their lives. Would come home from work and immediately hit the bottle - bourbon or vodka. Went through a minimum of 1.75L a week...not including restaurants 3-4 times a week putting down 2-3 of their strongest margaritas with an extra floater.

Since everything was going great wife didn't have a problem with it. She was “normal drinker” i.e. could have a glass of wine or pound them on date night then go weeks without even thinking about drinking. I didn’t understand how she did it but I was the opposite and stuck in a vicious cycle. Wake up hung over, get through work and hurry to the next drink which always brought out “fun dad”. But slowly over the last few years I started waking up in the morning depressed. A normal hangover never bothered me, but this was very different. Gradually the depression got worse and worse. I started trying everything all the fads to fix it (except the obvious) - dieting, all day hydration, working out, vitamins, supplements etc... etc... Nothing was helping and it was getting more intense and lasting longer.

I finally had to face my fear that maybe juuust maybe it was the drinking. So, I stopped again, cold turkey, which is the way I always did it in the past. Every other time sobriety was great - clear thinking and extra energy, but this time the depression and anxiety didn't go away. It really freaked me out so I started taking CBD. Which actually started to help, but over time it just wasn't enough. After a few months the depression busted through the CBD and was back 10-fold…I mean bad. Depression so deep I couldn’t get out of bed. Anxiety and fear about NORMAL things - talking to people I have known forever. Death gripping depression, anxiety and fear was taking over every aspect of my life and CBD couldn't cover it.

In desperation I searched Google and found this thread. This thread was an answer to many many prayers. Turns out protracted withdraw is legit…no doubt about it in my view. Found this thread and a comment about getting on an antidepressant really spoke to me. I got on Lexapro and started to notice a small difference in the first few weeks but didn’t want to get my hopes up due to placebo effect. By weeks 4 and 5 there was no denying that the meds were helping. Now I am 8-9 weeks on Lexapro and was called to come back here tell my story and give hope.

HOPE:

One of the things I prayed about over and over and over again was to feel joy again when sober. I wanted to laugh at all the things that everybody else found funny yet I only found it funny when I was drunk. So, I prayed and prayed and prayed to find joy in life again. The other day I found myself spontaneously laughing. I now I find myself laughing, joking and smiling at the smallest things life throws at me. It is an answer to unceasing prayer… remember that word, unceasing prayer because the Lord Jesus Christ has delivered me from so many other things including other additions through prayer... I now have joy, energy, drive and desire to be active with my kids and family in ways I never even compilated. Sharing in the joy of doing activities together is bonding us stronger than ever. Thank you, Lord, for showing me the simple joys in life again!

I feel completely healed from the urge to drink which I don’t believe would have happened if it wasn’t for the trial of deep depression (see Romans 5:3-5). Yet I still pray and have committed to myself to pray consistently for the rest of my life that the Lord will crush the spirit of alcohol and drunkenness in me. I went from scared about daily work and interactions to excited and looking forward to them.

It's all about hope. I mentioned other additions. The Lord has delivered me from so many other things besides those addictions. I can now look back with a clear mind and memory and see the Lord's hand was always on me. What helped me get through the difficult times and this deep depression was the hope that only Jesus Christ can give.

The Lord Jesus Christ is that hope that we as humans are designed to need. He is real and he can give you hope in your life through the free gift of salvation. He can heal you and deliver you and be there for you through all of your ups/downs and all of your trials/tribulations. He might use a doctor, medicine or natural therapies to help heal you. All of which come from the creator of all things. Or he might do it miraculously like He did with some of my other additions.

I know that with my addictive personality I could take that first sip which is why I still pray regularly to remove the spirit of addition/drunkenness. The Lord has proven Himself faithful and loyal in so may ways in my life…especially when I didn’t deserve it. There is NOTHING, I mean NOTHING that can ever separate you from God’s love and He is never to far away. Simply call out with a TRUTHFUL heart/spirit and He will be there for you.

- Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. Romans 5:3-5

I am praying for you.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:43 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Atone

D