Notices

Who is male and who is female?

Old 01-02-2007, 04:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I, too, am female. It's been interesting to me to find that many people whom I think are male have turned out to be female (and vice versa). The one thing that I've noticed everyone has in common is their willingness to listen, help and support. Every once in awhile someone comes along that is so hard-nosed about their beliefs that they kind of step on my toes, but in reality, even they are trying to help.

I also initially had trouble posting because I was afraid I had nothing worthwhile to say, and more than that, was afraid of sounding stupid or being criticized. Posting has turned out to be wonderful therapy for me and I've received many helpful replies that make long-term sobriety more and more within reach for me.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Greeneyes2008 View Post
I would LOVE to know that I am not the only woman on this board. Help?
We have one Forum here devoted to Women only, and it's usually pretty busy in there.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by I'mready99 View Post

If you go to the women in recovery forum there are many women there. Many more women it seems post there than men do in the men's room forum...
and how would you know? *LOL*

Just for the record (not directed at you Steve unless it applies)

The women's forum is for women only. (men stay out)
The Men's forum is for men only (women stay out) though I don't mind the women coming in, as I mod I need enforce the rule *LOL*

We don't need like the rules...just need follow them.

Ok on a serious note... we each have a forum that gives us a free space to talk about issues that cover our gender. respecting each other's space will always give us the free space as we need it.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Wishing I could be good!

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Why?? What difference does it make?
Did I say that it made a difference? I was just wondering so I asked. What is the big deal? It is nice to know that there are other woman also going through what i am. I feel like I am mostly talking to males when I am on here. There is not a problem with that but just wanted to know. That is all......
Maybe I should be careful what i ask on here. LOL.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am female. You aren't alone as a woman here... appears that there is a good amount of female support.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

I am glad I am not the only one seeking female compainship on this road to recovery. It interesting, I put male voices and faces to names in here all the time, then find out...oh! Your a woman! Don't know why that is...I sometimes think it's a throw back to most of the AA stuff being written in a mans perspective.

I had a hard time reading the Big Book because, as a woman, I felt excluded. It's odd, my religion doesn't fit in with the big book ideal at all, but I could work around that big 'God' word. That didn't bother me so much (with a few exceptions which are not related to this already long winded post ) However, looking at the entire ordeal in a mans perspective really hurt my hopes for soberity. I had to go through and change some wording in pencil. Isn't that odd?

One of the things that attracted me to this board was the amount of women (and mothers) activive on it. I didn't really realize how much I needed female support until I went looking for it.

Not that men are not a great support, they are. I have gotten a great amount of support and encouragment from many men the past 23 days. But, I dont know, I need my sisters around just the same.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by BrandiK View Post
I had a hard time reading the Big Book because, as a woman, I felt excluded. It's odd, my religion doesn't fit in with the big book ideal at all, but I could work around that big 'God' word. That didn't bother me so much (with a few exceptions which are not related to this already long winded post ) However, looking at the entire ordeal in a mans perspective really hurt my hopes for soberity. I had to go through and change some wording in pencil. Isn't that odd?
No Brandi, that's not odd at all. The BB is open to interpretation as far as I'm concerned, so if changing some wording works for you that's great, just as long as you don't try to change the Steps too much!

I'm a male, but women have played a huge part in my recovery, especially when it came to advice on being a single parent in recovery. To me it seemed like most of the women in recovery had a calm, peaceful manner about them, which was something I wanted. My best friend in the program is female, and she's never failed to share her ESH with me when I needed it.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Did I say that it made a difference? I was just wondering so I asked. What is the big deal? It is nice to know that there are other woman also going through what i am. I feel like I am mostly talking to males when I am on here. There is not a problem with that but just wanted to know. That is all......
Have you been to any AA womens meetings, Greeneyes? That's what got me through my first year of recovery. I found that some of the guys only wanted to look at my @ss, while ALL of the women wanted to save my @ss!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Greeneyes! Female here.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:25 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

*checks*

Male !

Old 01-02-2007, 01:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Male.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Sorry...didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable. It dawned on me when I read the question that when I was drinking, I never cared whether or not a bar had men, women, or both. I just wanted to drink. One of my little quirks with some meetings I attend is that when a person shows up for the first time at a meeting, the tendency is to do a "first step" meeting especially for that person. If the person happens to be male, the men go. If female, the women go. That's why I was prompted to say..."what's the difference."
Old 01-03-2007, 06:28 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Guess? LOL

Like some other guys on here, I have found the ladies in the room to be just as inspirational as the men. My favorite person in my area is a lady who is 82 and has 31 years of fine sobriety. Miss Bee has brought more males and females to sobriety then any one I know of so far.... except for possibly Bill!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:44 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Female. When I first got sober two and a half years ago, it was the males that saved me and helped me in AA. I got a male sponcer and worked the steps with him. It's not suggested to get a male sponcer,but this man had what I wanted (and no not that LOL) and taught me so much before he died. He sponcered both men and women because he had a heart so big. I was a tough cookie much too tough for the women I think at first,so my male sponcer worked out fine. I now have a female sponcer,but she does not spend the time with me that my male sponcer did. I also attend a women's meeting once a week and a mixed meeting once a week. I find them both helpful to me and my recovery.