Notices

Aa..

Old 05-02-2005, 10:48 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paul singer
that's what it says in the book..
I did not make this stuff up it's all in the littiture
if you need a copy I sugest you buy the book...I also sugest that if you want sobriety in your life you attend book meetings and not open dissusion meetings .. the success rate will be much higher
You are making this stuff up. Its not all in the literature. These are your personal takes on anti-depressants.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:30 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Chy

Had I been a newcomer walking into the rooms listening to this conversation I would have never come back. Who is anyone to tell me I "must" "should" "oughta", to succeed! To do otherwise is to die, horse ****!

To be told what others want for me... you must believe in God, you must do exactly as the book states, you must not attend open discussion meetings to discuss the very things that may be threatening your sobriety, nonsense all of it.

I will take what I need and leave the rest, thank you very much! I have every right to believe what I believe and I also have every right to be respected because of my beliefs as I would respect you. The only assessment I need in knowing if I'm working my program right is the fact I wake up sober each day, that's good enough for me!
Old 05-02-2005, 12:48 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I have never seen a room full of people talking such nonsense.. not one of you is ready to take a suggestion and all of you have stated that you either don't believe in god or are on medication or both. AA is not what you want it to be it wes here before you. I have seen your types relaspe after relaspe. I'm just saying why do you refuse to follow directions if you feel you are an alhoholic then humbly give your self to this program. If you have other problems get the help you need eleswhere. And by all means read the book if you feel that anything I've said is too the contary.
Live and let live is fine but don't come to an AA meeting talking about your day when it has no relavance to alcoholism.
And as far as asking me to leave the open disscussion meeting that takes some big balls considering I'm the kind of person that is trying to carry a message that may save your life one day.
I've seen more real alcoholics die because they came to the rooms and ran away because they herd you talking about your day for the 10,000 time. Why not try talking about the program of recovery or is that just too much of a streatch.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:53 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Dan

Why not try talking about the program of recovery or is that just too much of a streatch.
There's an idea Paul...
Why don't you talk about you, your alcoholism, your program, and stop worrying about the rest of us.
There's a pile of sober time listening to you here. So far, you're just using wholesale condemnation, as opposed to communication.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:00 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

CHY -WHAT YOU ARE DESCRIBING IS THE CLASSIC TWO STEP DANCE

perhaps you could benefit fdrom one of your fellow texans Chris R. hes got a very powerfull message

http://www.xa-speakers.org/pafiledb....n=file&id=1064
Old 05-02-2005, 01:06 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Paul

I'm a bit puzzled. Are you saying that the only people who should go to AA are those who are an alcoholic and have no other problems, and those who believe in your God?

There for the grace of god, go I. I thank my lucky stars every day that I am not an alcoholic and none more so than today.....
Old 05-02-2005, 01:09 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Chy

Sorry Paul I don't two step. I most certainly don't need to alter my beliefs in order for you to be respecting of them. I don't need your approval nor your guidance Paul, but thank you for the offer. I'll do what works for me until it's not working anymore.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:21 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

snip
Guess what DAn I prayed and the depression was lifted I am 15 years sober and that was a long time ago.
snip
Science will not solve your problem only faith will..thisis the essance of a spiritual program.
You've been in AA for 15 years?
Don S
Old 05-02-2005, 01:35 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

We have three little mottoes which are apropos. Here
they are:

First Things First
Live and Let Live
Easy Does It.

P.135 Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 05-02-2005, 01:37 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by Chy
I will take what I need and leave the rest, thank you very much! I have every right to believe what I believe and I also have every right to be respected because of my beliefs as I would respect you. The only assessment I need in knowing if I'm working my program right is the fact I wake up sober each day, that's good enough for me!
Say it again, sister, say it again.

Of course you realize with this kind of attitude you and I are assuming full responsibility for a relapse if it should occur as predicted. However, I think this is perhaps a big part of what the whole deal is supposed to be about. The following are not my words but I like them very much:
As is noted in the book, Alcoholics Anonymous, "defiance is the outstanding character of the alcoholic." The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions take this central fact into account in presenting a program of recovery to the potential member. They place the responsibility squarely on the individual for becoming aware of and modifying their behavior. Life, in general, and active alcoholism, in particular, become the disciplinarians. For most it takes little time to come to the realization that their battle is with, and within, themselves. With great wisdom, born out of tragic experiences, Alcoholics Anonymous refuses to offer the alcoholic an opportunity to create the illusion that the problem lies anywhere other than with themselves.

It is not ours to determine where the doorways to sobriety ought to be, for we know not from which direction our fellows suffers will come. Ours is but to ensure that the doorway entrusted to our care is in its place, open to the next alcoholic wanting to gain entrance to our world of the spirit. http://www.dui.com/oldwhatsnew/Alcoh...oal.means.html
I am also quite fond of these words (again not my own):
What's the matter people?

Everybody wants the same thing, don't they?
Everybody wants a happy end
They want to see the game on Saturday
They want to be somebody's friend

Everybody wants to work for a living
Everybody wants their children warm
Everybody wants to be forgiven
They want a shelter from the storm

Look at me, I ain't your enemy
We walk on common ground
We don't need to fight each other
What we need, what we need

Solidarity

"Solidarity" - The Black Uhuru
One Love, One Heart, Jah Bless,
Tony
Old 05-02-2005, 01:39 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Dan

It is not ours to determine where the doorways to sobriety ought to be, for we know not from which direction our fellows sufferers will come. Ours is but to ensure that the doorway entrusted to our care is in its place, open to the next alcoholic wanting to gain entrance to our world of the spirit.
That's the tune in my heart.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:41 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Amen.....
Old 05-02-2005, 01:48 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Paul

It is depressing to listen to you. You represent an element in AA that refuse to get honest, yet demand the domination of their fellow alcoholic. You have no authority and mislead and deceive yourself and others over the content and intention of AA.

You have been expressing your personal views, not AA's.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:57 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Clearly I"M not better than ANYONE -

but im definately better off then some.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:58 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I have never seen a room full of people talking such nonsense.. not one of you is ready to take a suggestion and all of you have stated that you either don't believe in god or are on medication or both. AA is not what you want it to be it wes here before you. I have seen your types relaspe after relaspe. I'm just saying why do you refuse to follow directions if you feel you are an alhoholic then humbly give your self to this program. If you have other problems get the help you need eleswhere. And by all means read the book if you feel that anything I've said is too the contary.
Live and let live is fine but don't come to an AA meeting talking about your day when it has no relavance to alcoholism.
And as far as asking me to leave the open disscussion meeting that takes some big balls considering I'm the kind of person that is trying to carry a message that may save your life one day.
I've seen more real alcoholics die because they came to the rooms and ran away because they herd you talking about your day for the 10,000 time. Why not try talking about the program of recovery or is that just too much of a streatch.
How about the people that came to the rooms and ran because they thought your narrow perspective of alcoholism and recovery represented all of AA? And some of those fundamentalist types relapse as well, even drink themselves to death or commit suicide. Nobody is untouchable. Thankfully, there are places like this that people can come to and find out about the diversity within AA, and about other recovery options (LifeRing, SMART, etc.) that are available to them as well.

And what is a "real" alcoholic? Are there "fake" alcoholics? Who'd wanna fake that? Follow your directions? I'll pass on the punch...

Doorknob
Old 05-02-2005, 02:02 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Some are sicker than others. I will pray for the man who is still sick....
Old 05-02-2005, 02:05 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=purple][b]And what is a "real" alcoholic? Are there "fake" alcoholics? Who'd wanna fake that?

Doorknob

"Who'd wanna fake that"
Old 05-02-2005, 02:12 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Andy how many more will have to die for you to be happy how many more alcoholics will walk through that door and listen as you spread the disease.
My message is straight from the book..
I can see how that would depress you.
may I suggest a 90 commitment to prayer an service commitment
Old 05-02-2005, 02:16 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

fake alcoholics are the ones who go to AA instead of NA because there are too many blacks in NA. They also support diversity just not in there own back yard. Fake acoholics are people who read how it works and argue it in the same vain you are now
Old 05-02-2005, 02:17 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Could you tell me what disease I am spreading and how I infect people with it?

Your message is not straight from the book at all.

What is "a 90 commitment to prayer and service commitment?"