Notices

Anyone else's sponsor OBSESSED with God?

Old 11-16-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

My gut was so twisted in the first year of recovery I had to do the opposite, then things clicked. I am so happy I went against my gut then, seems my ego wanted anything but recovery.

Step 11 is awesome....
Old 11-16-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
skg

Originally Posted by Centered3 View Post
Bunny is through the steps and is not a newcomer anymore. We can trust our instincts, for the most part, once we have a spiritual experience....
Well, that's not been my experience, and having had a spiritual awakening I am continually reminded of the conflict of spirit and self-will. I only say this because my recovery and your recovery and the "We" that you refer to may be as different or as similar as our addictions--only God (or your HP) knows for sure. I cannot trust my instincts, but I can recognize them and apply a set of spiritual principles to over-come them. The battlefield that is my mind is proof that I still don't always understand what's best for me--nor do I always want to do the next right thing. In fact, I've found that I cannot do anything well that doesn't involve an Awareness (11) of Him these days. And I still try...
What's happening is that Bunny's sponsor...
I learn as much from those hurt as from those who help--everyone serves as an example--and I'm guessing that Bunny is capable of determining what's truth and what isn't. For me, it was when I started by picking up literature that focused on the principles of the steps; I started trying to do for others without getting caught; I started listening to speaker CDs and reading outside the AA library; I did all these things and took suggestions, asking questions in and out of the rooms of AA in forums similar to this one.

AA is not my life, but it's my way of life--a design for living in all weather--but the tools of the program are my responsibility to sharpen, adjust, learn and apply. My sponsor, the same ButtMunch I have had since starting, said to me after completing Step 12, "Now you have all the same tools I have. It's up to you to learn how to apply them." That's still true today. He delivered the principles but it was up to me to integrate them into meaningful recovery.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to my sobriety today--
S
Old 11-16-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=skg;6211133]Well, that's not been my experience, and having had a spiritual awakening I am continually reminded of the conflict of spirit and self-will. I only say this because my recovery and your recovery and the "We" that you refer to may be as different or as similar as our addictions--only God (or your HP) knows for sure. I cannot trust my instincts, but I can recognize them and apply a set of spiritual principles to over-come them. The battlefield that is my mind is proof that I still don't always understand what's best for me--nor do I always want to do the next right thing. In fact, I've found that I cannot do anything well that doesn't involve an Awareness (11) of Him these days. And I still try...

Maybe I should've have used the word "instincts". What I meant, was what Step 11 is ALL about. Instincts....our gut....the little voice deep within....doing the right thing....ANYTHING but listening to the mind/ego/disease. It's right there in Step 11, and that's why I wrote "We" as in, "we who do the steps of AA".

I'm curious, Bunny, how were things going with Step 10 and 11? Of course it's entirely your decision what you do, but I know I struggle with these steps, and my sponsor and other people in AA always remind me how key 10, 11, and 12 are.

I learn as much from those hurt as from those who help--everyone serves as an example--and I'm guessing that Bunny is capable of determining what's truth and what isn't.
Good point--but I think it's different when the subject is a sponsor/sponsee relationship. Having a bad sponsor can screw with one's vulnerable mind.

For me, it was when I started by picking up literature that focused on the principles of the steps;
I would be extremely grateful if you could list the names of the literature that focuses on the *principles* of the steps, as I'd love to read this for my own spiritual growth and maybe others would be interested, too.

I started trying to do for others without getting caught; I started listening to speaker CDs and reading outside the AA library; I did all these things and took suggestions, asking questions in and out of the rooms of AA in forums similar to this one.
These are all really good things to do for spiritual growth. :-)

AA is not my life, but it's my way of life--a design for living in all weather
Well said....

--but the tools of the program are my responsibility to sharpen, adjust, learn and apply. My sponsor, the same ButtMunch I have had since starting, said to me after completing Step 12, "Now you have all the same tools I have. It's up to you to learn how to apply them." That's still true today. He delivered the principles but it was up to me to integrate them into meaningful recovery.
I think many of us struggle with applying the tools, I know I do.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Bunny,
I have not had experience with a God-obsessed sponsor, but I did have a sponsor who was obsessed with trying her form of gestalt therapy on me, analyzing my dreams, and just being a little too whacko for my taste. The focus should be on taking one through the steps, and there are plenty of people who can do that.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

maybe she is takeing the line " we are in the world to play the role he assigns?
a bit too extreme?You might want to put the question to her as you put it to us?
Old 11-16-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wow! You're so lucky!

Personally, I would not have anyone as a sponsor who was not obsessed with God...although, now that I'm thinking about it, "obsessed" would not be the word I would personally use to 'label' such a blessed condition...I would probably say "all about God" or "completely abandoned to God" or "all in with God"...but, to each his/her own.

I have a sponsee who both she and her boyfriend have been sober about 3 years now. They have some pretty amazing sobriety and just like totally beautiful connections with God (both as individuals and as a couple). Actually it is such an amazing gift to be able to bear witness to how happy, joyous and free they are and how much God is doing in their lives and using them as a tools in His hands to help others all over the place...

...but anyway, back probably 15-18 months ago, I heard him share at a meeting that one of his friends (these people are all like in their early to mid-20s) had been giving him grief about his being sober and teasing him about his relationship with God and AA, etc... So, at one point the 'friend' says: "What's the difference between you being addicted to alcohol or to drugs or to God?" and without missing a beat he responds: "God satisifies!"

From the mouths of babes!

freya
Old 11-16-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
I thought you fired her after the hair shirt thing?
A hair shirt? Seriously?
Old 11-17-2016, 12:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Here's a great guide for sponsorship from AAWS:

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf
Old 11-17-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I find that the most spiritual people I know don't drown others in living water. Imagine, an alcoholic without balance?! Go figure.......
Old 11-17-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Grateful

After my sponsor took me through the steps he suggested that I find what he called a "life sponsor" to help guide and mentor me in day to day issues that arose in life. He seemed to hint that someone closer to my own age and possibly having more things in common with me might benefit me in my daily life. Having done that, I can see how wise this man was. Could it be that your sponsor was exactly who you needed to take you through the steps but maybe not the best fit for you in a continued mentoring role?
Old 11-17-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Your post reminded me of this from the big book of AA

Of course for some in recovery, radical change may indeed lie ahead. But, the key is to take it slow and make certain that such is God’s will. The Big Book warns us about the “clarity” of the signals which we think we are getting from God, especially in early sobriety. On page 87, we are told, “Being still inexperienced and having just made conscious contact with God, it is not probable that we are going to be inspired at all times. We might pay for this presumption in all sorts of absurd actions and ideas.” We are wise to check with an A.A. sponsor or a spiritual advisor before taking action a perceived message directly from God.

Whatever it is we have been called to do, we can still do it and do it better as recovering alcoholics. Such recovering alcoholics are placed in many places. Since our backgrounds differ so widely, so do our placements in recovery differ, yet we can still be very effective messengers for the A.A. program.

Since we in AA come from so many different walks of life, we shouldn't try to impose our religious beliefs on someone.
There is a guy where I live going on 20 years of sobriety. I cringe when he shares. Often times, he's doing a sermon on the mount.

If your sponsor is talking the talk and walking the walk, take what you need and leave the rest.

How many years has she been sober??
Old 11-19-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
skg

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
I find that the most spiritual people I know don't drown others in living water. Imagine, an alcoholic without balance?! Go figure.......
I love it.
Hannah Whitall Smith introduces her book (God of All Comfort) with the incident that sparked her inspiration to write it. She was speaking with an intelligent agnostic, whom she wanted to influence, when he remarked, "Well, madam, all I have to say is this. If you Christians want to make us agnostics inclined to look into your religion, you must try to be more comfortable in the possession of it yourselves. The Christians I meet seem to me to be the most uncomfortable people anywhere around." She never forgot the pointed lesson of the agnostic. His words rang true.

She wrote this book to bring a little zeal and some genuine comfort into the lives of Christians tormented by doubt and fear, Christians who are frankly uncomfortable. God of All Comfort presents," ...the grounds there are in the religion of the Lord Jesus Christ for that deep and lasting peace and comfort of soul, which nothing earthly can disturb, and which is declared to be the portion of those who embrace it. "Smith is a great teacher, a master storyteller, and a solid writer. This is the second book by Hannah Whithall Smith in the Pure Gold Classics series.