Notices

Types of People You Meet at 12 Step Meetings

Old 02-23-2018, 04:18 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I always found it interesting when someone new comes to a meeting and you can tell their "not from around here" thing going on. The reactions from some of the regular members are priceless. Too funny. John
LOL, this is really funny!! I’ve been on both sides of this one.. I’ve been the out of towner and have seen the out of towner..

But in all cases I’ve always felt at home if I’m visiting or at my local club! Good stuff, enjoy the weekend!!
Old 03-07-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I'm the guy who brings a small notebook in with me to make notes of things I hear and don't want to forget. I also use it to write thoughts down that enter into my mind, and unless I write it down I'll obsess about it the rest of the meeting. Writing it down helps me, because I tend to ruminate and it'll take me out of being in the present.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken0331 View Post
I'm the guy who brings a small notebook in with me to make notes of things I hear and don't want to forget. I also use it to write thoughts down that enter into my mind, and unless I write it down I'll obsess about it the rest of the meeting. Writing it down helps me, because I tend to ruminate and it'll take me out of being in the present.
This is me as well. I often get the "Oh you're the woman who takes notes in her big book!" Yes. Yes I am. Lol

A therapist told me that's just the way I learn, by listening and writing. Sad thing is, I rarely reread what I wrote!! But I think the act of writing helps me to remember.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:47 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
This is me as well. I often get the "Oh you're the woman who takes notes in her big book!" Yes. Yes I am. Lol

A therapist told me that's just the way I learn, by listening and writing. Sad thing is, I rarely reread what I wrote!! But I think the act of writing helps me to remember.
For some reason, when I'm at a meeting, I stay more focused on what is going on when I'm doodling. Don't know why but it works for me. John
Old 03-08-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken0331 View Post
I always carry a small spiral note book with me too, it's good to write those good nuggets down when you hear a good one..
Old 03-14-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

We are all human

What a funny thread! I recognize some of the characters. I am not sure where I stand. Fundamentally flawed, I guess! Meetings can be so very different. I have been to some mega meetings where there were close to hundred people in the room
but only a few old folks dominated the sharing, and there was a timer. And to small meetings where nobody would even dream of texting, everybody was very focused and intelligent. My women's group is the best. Laughter and tears, tears and laughter. I actually stopped going to one group because there were TWO ramblers there telling the same stories over and over again or getting off on a tangent that lasted fifteen minutes and did not have a punch line. I am glad if it was therapeutic for them but perhaps not for everyone else. I did learn patience. I guess that was something I needed to learn.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Redmayne

What did it for me...

Those who were more concerned about their own welfare, not to be confused with recovery, even less sobriety,than others. Did it for me, instead I followed Joe McQuany and Charlie Parmley's example and looked upon the Big Book, as the key to recovery and used both of them to good prolonged and lasting sobriety.

No one got sober at an AA meeting...