Notices

Self-Esteem and beginning the 12 steps

Old 12-07-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
Whether I'm all that and a bag of chips or a piece of cr*p, the attention is still on ME (ego).

I needed to focus on getting through the steps so that I could see things IN PERSPECTIVE (ie accurately...as we are never as bad or as good as we think) so that I could become an agent of AA...the entire goal of it all. Once I take inventory and see things for what they are, I can use my experience, strength, and hope to show and benefit someone else who needs me.
That is an excellent point to bring up. My sponsor explained to me early on that self-pity, self-loathing, low self-esteem, was still ego driven since it was still absorbed in self.

I was also taught that any negative thought, whether about yourself or another person, is not from God, which means it must be from ego/the mind and so is not truth.

Taking *action*, as in working the steps, gets us out of our selves/ego.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Really amazing experience, strength and hope shared in this thread - I can smell the brewing coffee!

I will add simply this for consideration as it helped me not all that long ago. My sponsor suggested I look fir the "boulders " the first time through the 4th step. This helped a lot. As we learn and stack some time , more is revealed and we gain insight.

He also suggested if inventory gets to dark and painful put it down for awhile. Alcoholics want it done NOW! Patience for me is a learned trait - one I am beginning to enjoy and truly view as virtuous.

Finally - an old timer said to me once - when we come into AA some of us need to soften up while others need to toughen up.

We are typically extremists - ego maniacs with an inferiority complex best described me.

Good thread - it will help many