Notices

Question

Old 12-07-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

When I was about three years sober, a friend & I attended a round up out of town. We had dinner one night in the restaurant at the hotel and decided to have desert. It was cake and ice cream with a sauce poured over it.

As we were eating the desert, my friend kept commenting on how great it was, and I noticed a warm, tingly sensation spreading from my stomach through out my body and with it, the old, familiar," I need another one of these" kind of thoughts. The waiter came and just before we asked for seconds, I asked him what the sauce was made of. He said it was some sort of liqueur. Then I realized that we were experiencing the phenomenon of craving. We declined the second helping, went into prayer, asked for the check, and left. We did not change our sobriety dates, but from then on, I always ask what the sauce is made of.

biddy,as far as the "recovering" vs. "recovered" thing goes you are just buying the lies of the MOTR crowd. Instead a getting upset, why don't you find out for yourself if McGowdog knows what he's talking about. As for myself, I have recovered. I don't struggle to stay away from a drink. I couldn't drink today if I wanted to because the problem has been removed. The same can be true for you because I'm nothing special.

You can stay sick in Alcoholics Anonymous as long as you want and you'll have plenty of company. Or you can get well in Alcoholics Anonymous and you won't have as much company, but it will be better company. You just have to pick the company you want to hang with. Some people in A. A. don't want you to get free. The want to keep you suffering with them so that they will have some company.
Jim

Last edited by jimhere; 12-07-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

We were having a Christmas buffet at an Alano Club
I was working in the kitchen. opening the dishes
members were bringing in...adding them to the buffet table

One dish was carefully wrapped in foil....a clean tea towel
with a lovely red bow on top. No name

When I got down to the dish...it was a sweet potato casserole
reeking of liquor. Immediately I threw it in the garbage
and took the bag out to the dumster.

I never knew which AA member was so darn

Sharing this to add.....Smell before you eat
Old 12-07-2009, 06:56 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

The following year....same deal....I was bringing dishes back from
the buffet table....several of them were not completely empty.

Just as I started to dump the contents....the AA member
in charge of the kitchen ..a professional Chef....

Whoa! take all the partials of the same veggies
put them on a clean platter...take them back to the table
If anyone asks ...tell them it's a melange' of whtever"

I've always wandered if that's what they did at the
White House.....
Old 12-07-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

MOTR is what? And I am not mad. I have accepted that everyone's opinions vary, and I am fine with that. We all have different view points, and I believe that is what makes this thread work. If everyone agreed, we wouldn't need anyone else, right? Life sure would be boring.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:33 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bdiddy5522 View Post
MOTR is what? And I am not mad. I have accepted that everyone's opinions vary, and I am fine with that. We all have different view points, and I believe that is what makes this thread work. If everyone agreed, we wouldn't need anyone else, right? Life sure would be boring.
Read the first page of "there is a solution"....

Something about "common solution" upon which "we all agree" I think is what it says? Doen't it start with something like "no doubt you must be wondering how we recoverd"? Sorry don't have my book with me. In another vapid meeting where the topic is "thank god for human power (I.e. fellowship) keeping me sober."

Thank god its almost over and I won't have the opportunity to share "wheres the AA meeting?" And risk alienating the newcomer.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hmm...
In another vapid meeting where the topic is "thank god for human power (I.e. fellowship) keeping me sober."

Thank god its almost over and I won't have the opportunity to share "wheres the AA meeting?" And risk alienating the newcomer.
You are actually in a meeting typing this?
Tsk! Tsk! How rude.
Why bother to go...that's not an example
of recovery in action.

Or maybe I am mis reading your reply.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:17 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Hmm...

You are actually in a meeting typing this?
Tsk! Tsk!
Or maybe I am mis reading your reply.
Yes... well, I was... typing it in a meeting (although that's a real stretch of the word)

Shame on me
Old 12-07-2009, 09:19 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Get up...leave.....someone needs that chair.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:25 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Get up...leave.....someone needs that chair.
Yeah I probably should have... I was, as my sponsor calls it, hiding from myself in a meeting.

I'll try to practice that next time.

Thank you
Old 12-07-2009, 09:39 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'll give you a hint. It is in the book.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

We do things by accident. That's a fact! I was pouring myself a bowl of Cheerios just a couple days ago and a few spilled onto the counter. It was kind of dark in the kitchen and I was in a hurry to get back to Andy Griffith. Anyways I hurried and picked up the Cheerios and ate them. Unfortunatley I gave the cat a Pounce an hour earlier in the same spot and he didn't eat it. Turns out I did.
Accidents really do happen.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:17 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Crazy thread, man... lol
Old 12-08-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Red face

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
We do things by accident. That's a fact! I was pouring myself a bowl of Cheerios just a couple days ago and a few spilled onto the counter. It was kind of dark in the kitchen and I was in a hurry to get back to Andy Griffith. Anyways I hurried and picked up the Cheerios and ate them. Unfortunatley I gave the cat a Pounce an hour earlier in the same spot and he didn't eat it. Turns out I did.
Accidents really do happen.

I think, in your case, the only cause for real concern would be if, you start licking yourself and hacking hairballs
Old 12-08-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Yeah, and saying stuff like "Because I can!"
Old 12-08-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

lol
Old 12-08-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

bdiddy5522....

The only time I know of in our BB that " middle of the road"
is mentioned... check out page 25 in your book.

"If you are as seriously alcoholic as we were, we believe there is no middle-of-the-road solution."
That's from the 1st. Edition

MOTR ...in many instances ...has now become a
less that positive way to refer to some meetings.

Hope that clarifies...

Last edited by CarolD; 12-08-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I think, the woman in question should pursue another sponsor. Guess, you'd just have to be at one of my meetings to grasp this fully.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

MOTR ...in many instances ...has now become a
less that positive way to refer to some meetings.

Hope that clarifies...

Thanks for answering the question Carol. At least you gave me an answer instead of the original poster who just throws it out there and tells me it is in the book. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks for answering the question Carol. At least you gave me an answer instead of the original poster who just throws it out there and tells me it is in the book. Thanks for the help!
Not to be second guessing but, sounds like a way of having you dive into the Big Book for explanation.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
Not to be second guessing but, sounds like a way of having you dive into the Big Book for explanation.

And read 400 + pages looking for something that sounds like it isn't even relative? Yeah, sounds like a terrible use of my time that I could spend much more productively working on my recovery.

This whole thread has become a source of negativity and nit-picking. I am not going to sit here and dissect acronyms and technicalities with "there is only one way to recover, my way is the ONLY way" people.

What I do know is that this forum is a great place of support and ideas. I am very grateful for everyone who is a part of it.

I also know that the AA group I am a part of has many success stories with people who are truly happy. I want what they have. I don't care how they got there, but I guarantee it wasn't by nit-picking terms to death! My sponsor just celebrated 30 years, last night a guy received his 22 year medallion, and the guy that gave it to him has 15 years. Last week a guy picked up his 6 year medallion.

So I will do what I feel is right. I seem to have some pretty good influences to follow.