Notices

People who develop an attitude in sobriety

Old 03-13-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Thanks Music..

"Expectations"...that was banging around in my head last night while I was posting..

you said it so well! Those expectations get me every time. And usually, just about

every time..the situation rolls around..everything has changed.

I have changed..they have changed, the problem has resolved itself or no longer exists,

or has changed somehow. This usually happens in hindsight..I am still new at this.

"Handing it up" to HP , these expectations..it takes practice..a new way of training

my brain, even as a person faith.

Hugs to you and thoghts for strength for today bob!
Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Bob - I don't think your situation is unique at all. There are groups around my area where the car you drive seems to be of more importance to your "sobriety" than actually getting recovered. I don't have much more than a passing relationship with these people.

Also - a lot of people were very bad off...no money, cars, women (or men)...all the things that society uses to make one feel better or worse...the Have's and Have-Not's if you will. It isn't too far of a stretch for one who gets over their alcohol problem, find out they CAN be a good employee, start making some money and use that as a barometer of the quality of their life. It can be as consuming as active alcoholism - behind a curtain of "GOOD" (ie - life is GOOD on the outside so it MUST be on the inside...lol).

I have never gotten that sense from you - I think your values are firmly planted and your struggles will pay off more in the long run. Not your monetary struggles - but the struggle you have tying what YOU value as true and important vs the people you find yourself surrounded by. It can be lonely, and I think it's ok to recognize the pain you feel - but you also need to get rid of it. Rob had some good and practical advice on that.

Take care

~a
Old 03-13-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have literally molded my life and measured it with the ruler called the American Dream; my grandoisty was such that I was the king of everything and nothing when actually all I was doing was creating a better vessel for an American Dream sized Ego. Prosperity is most excellent, but where is the line, that balance, especially with one like myself who has challenges buttoning a shirt. I do have admit that having one's own home with a real comfortable bed is much preferable to a mission cot or a river bank. Living in gratitude leaves little room for self-pity.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wink

i make enough money right now to live on.. i have a good home group meeting i go to most days.. my sobriety is my most valuable asset!