Notices

Problems with God

Old 04-20-2008, 03:59 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I love that, Jim. And the only way I have found to reveal me to me is to find and be rid of the things that are blocking me from God. I get frustrated when people talk about finding themselves in inventory. Inventory is about finding out who I'm not, and being rid of those things. Who I am will then be revealed. It is in that process that I am closer to God.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

The easiest way to heighten your relationship with your Higher Power is (and I've said this before), to separate what other people have advised you who God is, and focus on you and God with no one else's beliefs imposing on you. God of your understanding. God doesent have to be the old white robust man with the white beard. Most of us in society have to put a face or any image on something to believe or identify with it. Instead, I focus on how I can do God's Will and not do my will which is usually self-seeking and selfish. When I follow Gods Will I feel Gods presence with me and feel a genuine happiness.

What is Gods will? Well, I believe it is simply doing the right thing.

How do we know when and/or if we are doing the right thing? God gave us emotions to be able to identify when actions are right or wrong.

They are called guilt and common sense.

Usually we know before hand that what we are doing or about to do is wrong. Usually that hesitation before the action is a hint that the action has selfish, harmful, or just generally bad intentions.

Step Six in the book Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions states that character defects can be identified with another word, sins.

Gods Will = Good selfless intentions, and generally doing the right thing.

Tom
Old 05-26-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
The word God is highly emotional for many folks. However, it's just a word, nothing more. Setting aside prejudice, old belief systems, and asking what do spiritual principles really mean to me are ways to have an actual experience with this word, not a mental construct created by past beliefs that may have been forcefully imposed.The Big Book chapter We Agnostics offers several considerations to help find something beyond self.
Yeah, and I noticed you capitalize the letter G in God like I do.

In any case, there's some awesome stuff for developing a relationship with God for some of us alkies fo sho. But I keep hearing that this A.A. book is like sandbox Kindergarden stuff for seeking the spiritual life. So I do stuff outside of this book but in the spirit of the 11th Step. I stay plugged into this 70 year old book no matter what.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I found God because you people set an example I was compelled to follow
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm one of those people who made AA my higher power. I was brought up in that religion based in Rome that has had many issues. Without going into detail, I had to deal with some of those issues personally. When I first saw the 12 steps, all I could think of was "ah sh$&!"

The 12 steps were my gateway to a spiritual life. If you work them , you can't not grow spiritually. My sponsor had an easy solution for prayer. I was told just to fake it, pray to whatever. Throw your shoes under your bed each nite, and while there, say a little prayer, and do the same in the morning. It worked.

I've found my spiritually has grown and shrunk over the years. Some days, weeks, and even months, I feel it. Sometimes the feelings just not there. I can even bust my butt doing everything right and still not feel all that spiritual at times. But, just like it says in the Big Book and 12 & 12, just as long I am willing to turn it over to my Higher Power, I am good.

The 12 steps have taught me to accept who I am. I can be a semi agnostic and still live a long and sober life. When I start compairing my spirituality with others, I'm usually starting to go down the wrong path. Thank God I found a spiritual way of life that only requires a belief in a power greater than myself.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

When I first walked in the room several people told me not to worry about the "God" parts of the steps because that drives many people away from AA. What was stressed was: "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking." I'm sober 20 years and an agnostic; my sponsor has 26 years and is an atheist. I wasn't raised a Christian. This is New York and people are accepting of members' choices and differences. I have secular steps and I pray, just not to God.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I didn't have a problem with the concept of "God" but had a real aversion to the judeo-christian connotations with the "God" in the steps and it's gender specific pronouns. I still do to a much lesser degree. But i eventually internalized the "as you understand him" part and discovered something that works for me, and in doing that discovered that there are tons of people that work the program the same way i do, from a buddhist perspective.

Now i have more of a problem with the gender pronouns than the word god. My higher power is an it, not a being, and certainly not a man. But when i say i have "more of a problem" that really means practically none at all. Just an ever so slight tug when i hear or read it that way. And i'm working that out as well, but it's been a process.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

God is a Gentleman he doesn't go were he is not welcome. Willingness is key
Old 03-07-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Sounds like you really get this stuff and that you have layed aside prejudice. I wish you many joyful years and fellowship with other seekers.