Notices

Why does AA not support medication?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why does AA not support medication?

I have been to meetings in Indiana and California. Several. Scientific studies have proven heavy drinkers can and do die from DT. Yet all they tell you in A A is "dont drink and keep coming back". Some people seriously do not know the risk involved in quitting cold turkey. I know the program works for many people, but I think the newcomers should be educated on the risk of DT and about seeing a doctor. Sure it seems like common sense but many don't know these risks. You can and probably will lock this thread because you don't agree, but I think AA needs a reform on this issue.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Actually, I have a different perspective on that. My feeling is that much in the same way the tobacco companies are required to post health warnings on cigarette packs, the brewers and distillers should be required to place the same type of warning labels on their products.

Will everyone listen? No.

I have a friend that has memorized and can recite the product description label off a Jack Daniels bottle verbatim Imagine if he could recite the warnings about detox from the label of the bottle that's killing him, as well.

But, society seems to feel a blurb about "Friends not letting friends drive drunk" makes everything AOK. But I digress...
Old 03-06-2012, 11:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are talking about individual AA members. AA's stance on medication is clear:

http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-11_...ersMedDrug.pdf

Having said that, many people have a mentality that if medicine is prescribed by a Dr., it must be OK. That would probably be true if it were not for the fact that many Drs act as "pill mills" and will write almost an script and are frankly ignorant of addiction issues. This gives man AAers a recoil reaction when they learn someone is on meds. This is not without merit IMHO, for all the reasons listed above. The AA link provided covers these concerns in depth.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Just yesterday I talked to a man who had 6 days of seizures. This was in a well known Detox/Rehab. BTW, he was in his mid 30's at the time and alcohol wasn't even his drug of choice. It made me sick.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTEYet all they tell you in A A is "dont drink and keep coming back".][/QUOTE]..

Not my experience, and if that's all you've heard in an AA meeting , i would suggest that little "ditty" is as dangerous stopping drinking abruptly....

AA is a program action in the form of 12 steps, fellowship is great but no human power is gonna keep me sober and sane ..i have plenty experience of attempting it and it wasn't pretty.

Many years ago my mother called the AA help line for advice....the member that took the call, strongly suggested she call the doctor with a view to medical assistance withdrawing from alcohol ..... i suffered delirium tremens pretty much every time i stopped abruptly ....thankfully, i was in hospital almost every episode....not that i remember much....apart from some of my tongue missing as a gentle reminder that hospital is the best place to stop abruptly for this chronic alcoholic .
Old 03-07-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I suggest studying the big book and see what AA says for itself instead of taking people`s opinions for AA facts

from the big book,the chapter,working with others ( 1st edition)

Approach through a doctor or an institution is a better bet. If your man needs hospitalization, he should have it, but not forcibly unless he is violent. Let the doctor, if he will, tell him he has something in the way of a solution.
When your man is better, the doctor might suggest a visit from you.

from the Dr`s Opinion
1st edition

Though we work out our solutions on the spiritual as well as an altruistic plane, we favor hospitalization for the alcoholic who is very jittery or befogged. More often than not, it is imperative that a man's brain be cleared before he is approached, as he has then a better chance of understanding and accepting what we have to offer.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I have never heard anything in a meeting about going cold turkey and putting yourself at risk, in fact I have heard quite the opposite. Obviously they want to encourage you not to drink but if you're a hardcore alcoholic you need to seek medical help first or ween yourself down to a safe level before quitting.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I think it's important to realize that detoxing typically gets worse as we age. The scary part is that I would need to detox after even a short 2-3 day relapse.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

All the answers are in the Big Book, you know. In Step 12 Working With Others it clearly says, "We favor hospitalization for the man who is jittery or befogged."

Boom. That simple.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Outside issues=no opinion.

No cautionary education on DTs or referrals to Doctors, even if you want the AAs to conduct educational classes for people who may be about to detox because you think it would be a good thing for them to do.

You're free to do that if you think it's a very good thing and that someone should be doing it.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

When the big book was written, there were "drying out" hospitals for detoxing (can't remember the actual name) were basically the only place (ie., no rehabs) for alcoholics. They were quite aware of DT's and the seriousness of stopping drinking and the effects on the body. This is where many 12 step calls took place. As soon as a person was over the initial detox, and while still in the hospital, they were spoken to about the AA program and meetings. I have personally been on 12 step calls (years ago) where we had to take someone to the hospital for detox (oh, what fun hanging with a belligerent drunk person while in a quiet hospital.... )

In the big book, it states that AA isn't the only method that works for staying stopped. It also states that some people do require more than just AA (ie., prescribed medications for dual diagnosis, psychological counseling) to recover.

page xxvi "More often than not, it is imperative that a man's brain be cleared before he is approached, as he has then a better chance of understanding and accepting what we have to offer."

page xxvii-xxviii "Of course an alcoholic ought to be freed from his physical craving for liquor, and this often requires a definite hospital procedure, before psychological measures can be of maximum benefit."

This, along with "no opinions on outside issues" keeps AA to it's primary purpose.

NA, now that is different and I've heard from oldtimers that they (NA) have different opinions or who have told me they (NA) don't condone any use of medication including prescribed (although I find this hard to believe it's anything more than personal opinion).

The program of AA is a design for living. It's not a detox center.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post

NA, now that is different and I've heard from oldtimers that they have different opinions or who have told me they don't condone any use of medication including prescribed (although I find this hard to believe it's anything more than personal opinion).
Much like A.A., N.A. members have all kinds of opinions. The official N.A. word on the subject is presented in a pamphlet titled "In Times Of Illness". It is available on line, Google is your friend here, but I think this sums it up: "In NA we have freedom to make decisions about our life and recovery in a safe environment, free of judgment. It is our personal responsibility to seek professional help when we need it. A mental health professional can assist us in understanding our illness and explain our treatment options."

N.A. also has a 10th tradition which is remarkably similar to our 10th tradition.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Meds

Thanks for sharing. Since the big book was written in a area

where medications were not as developed of course AA stance is a bit rigid.

However, I look to members with many years for guidance in this topic and

recently was told that meds are great as long as properly precribed by a

doctor and not by members. It is sad that when we come to AA we

magically turn into doctors.

As far as DTs if you have newcomers in your meetings showing up under thier

own power they are not having DTs. Delirium Tremens is a extremly

advanced stage of withdrawls and include hallucinations, convultions, violent

shakes etc. and can result in sudden death. Many are hospitalized for this.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Thank you, findingout!!!!!!!!! I would have looked, but I wouldn't have known where to locate that information.

I once answered the AA hotline and this person from a local university wanted to put an AAer in a film on AA's opinion on a recently found study. He wouldn't listen when I was telling him "AA has no opinion on outside issues" and I told him I didn't know anyone who would be filmed...blah blah blah....and this NA person went off telling me we should have sent someone from H&I to speak.... Really? For a college student's last minute project??

[Okay, I really need to get a job. I have too much time on my hands now!]

Thanks for the clarification, I knew this guy was yanking my chain!