Notices

How many people in AA really work their program?

Old 02-27-2008, 05:38 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I see too many people in AA working "their" program, and too few working "the" program.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:49 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I don't care what other people are doing.

I care what I am doing.

The minute I care what 'they' are doing -
I know I am out of my center.
In fact - it's a very good indicator.

SOrt of a 'you are not here' kind of thing.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

People who work the program, keep showing up at meetings sober. People who don't work the program, either don't show up at meetings, or they sit around taking other people's inventory about how they work the program. If I don't drink today, I must be doing something right! I was taught One Day at a Time, and Principles before Personalities.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
In Repair

I couldn't have put it better!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music View Post
People who work the program, keep showing up at meetings sober. People who don't work the program, either don't show up at meetings, or they sit around taking other people's inventory about how they work the program. If I don't drink today, I must be doing something right! I was taught One Day at a Time, and Principles before Personalities.
I don't agree. Going to meetings and staying sober don't mean you are working "the program." I'm surprised you believe this the point of AA. You can do the 12 steps without doing either of these things.

Taking a person's inventory, and observing who does and who does not have what you want are two completely different things. I stick with the winners, IE people who have something I want. I don't need to take anyone's inventory to see what people show me with their lives and actions. To me principles before personalities means "taking what you want, and leave the rest" ---ergo I ignore, don't associate with, or otherwise discard from my life any people or opinions that conflict with my goals in the program.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bob_sapp View Post
I don't agree. Going to meetings and staying sober don't mean you are working "the program." I'm surprised you believe this the point of AA. You can do the 12 steps without doing either of these things.

Taking a person's inventory, and observing who does and who does not have what you want are two completely different things. I stick with the winners, IE people who have something I want. I don't need to take anyone's inventory to see what people show me with their lives and actions. To me principles before personalities means "taking what you want, and leave the rest" ---ergo I ignore, don't associate with, or otherwise discard from my life any people or opinions that conflict with my goals in the program.
I didn't expect you to agree bob! Doesn't surprise me at all. You couldn't agree with me and keep the position you hold.

One thing about watching others is that it deflects attention from myself. That way I don't have to look at me, and after all, that's what staying sober is about. How It Works states that those who succeed are people who are honest with themselves. I'd suggest you pay more attention to your own program and let God do his job.