Daily Affirmations For ACOAs

Old 07-25-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

July 25

THANKFULNESS

I AM THANKFUL I WAS BORN AND I'M GLAD TO BE ALIVE

Today I'm glad to be alive, I'm thankful I was born. Every day now, in recovery, I can celebrate my existence. I have a purpose. I am important. I have a place in my community. I surround myself with people who care. My Higher Power will continually guide me and make me aware of my right to be here now.

I have a mission in this life, and I take daily steps to complete this mission. My presence is essential, my presence is felt. It is difficult to be thankful when I frown upon painful events and continually feel affected by their outcome. I am responsible only for my part in life's daily tasks. I can continue to make new choices and change my path to grow in positive directions.

I am important! My ideas count, my feelings count, and I am needed! I will continually celebrate my existence.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

July 26

LAUGHTER

I WILL RADIATE A PASSION OF DELIGHT

I affirm the healing quality of laughter, and every day I catch funny glimpses of life, jokes, slips of the tongue, and bizarre ironies.

I can smile, I can laugh at my own pretensions. I can be frivolous and clown and walk like a duck.

Laughter works like Mr. Clean to cleanse the emotional pipes of backed up sludge. Laughter drains the body of tension and leaves it as limp as a strand of boiled spaghetti.

There are times when sadness, intense pain and anger smother the mirth and make life seem bleak and humorless.

But I am resilient, and I have the power to summon a smile and notice the comical incongruities that come each day. I can let myself chuckle at the whimsical and the ridiculous.

Today I open my mind to life's mirth and gaiety, and I let my smile truly radiate a passion of delight.

~ from Daily Affirmations For Adult Children of Alcoholics by Rokelle Lerner © 1985 ~
Old 07-28-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

July 27

INDIVIDUALITY

I WILL NOT CONTROL MY LOVED ONES

i will cherish my own individuality today, and I will respect the individuality of others. I will not control my loved ones, nor will I take responsibility for their actions or their words. Many times in the past, I've tried to control the alcoholic's behavior by continually making excuses for their embarrassing behavior, their blunders, their excesses and their diminished responsibility. Instead of feeling my own individuality, I felt responsible for the alcoholic's actions.

I will be strong today and concentrate on maintaining my own personhood. I will not take responsibility for anyone else's actions or emotions.

I will be able to detach emotionally from the stresses of others. I will accept my powerlessness over others. I will accept myself, and I will accept others in their own unique individuality.

I will cherish my individuality today.

~ from Daily Affirmations For Adult Children of Alcoholics by Rokelle Lerner © 1985 ~
Old 07-29-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

July 28

DISAPPOINTMENT

I WILL RELEASE MY DEEPEST HURTS TODAY

Today I will find a way to release my deepest hurts so that they do not wrestle with my spirit. Many times the hurts I encounter hold me down and block my path. I need to recognize the hurt, feel it, and then discover a way to release it. The memory never fades, but the way I react to the hurt can change. Grieving the hurt will be an important part of recovery. The anger, the rage the sadness and acceptance are steps we sometimes experience when hurt has been so deep.

When I was growing up, I often experienced hurts and disappointments. I tried to move on to new experiences and kept promising that I would never let anyone hurt me anymore. I kept letting my spirit get beaten.

Today I will begin to accept my hurt and make a conscious effort to let my spirit remerge with life and energy.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

July 29

SUCCESS

I COLLECT AND SAVOR MY SUCCESSES TODAY

Today I take a look at my successes, and I close the book on my disappointment and failures. There is no place now for disappointment and failure in my life. I see that collecting disappointments burdens me, weighs me down, wears me out. It's like wearing lead weights on my limbs... But when I take off the weights, when I set aside my failures to look at my successes, I feel light and full of energy.

True, as a child I was reminded often that I was a disappointment - that I had failed in many ways to meet the expectations of my alcoholic family; but now, in recovery, I'm certain that I did the best I could then.

I learn with confidence the skills that help me survive: Do I fear the water? Then I learn to swim. Do I feel helpless? Then I learn what it takes to help myself. Do I feel alone and isolated? Then I seek out new friends.

I will collect my successes and savor them.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

July 30

SPONTANEITY

I REMOVE MY MASKS TODAY AND I REVEAL MY GENUINE SELF

I have appeared safely incognito before others - in many safe disguises. And I now see the danger in this, the risk that I will become disguised to myself, that I will camouflage myself with thin, pleasant smiles and superficial chatter. In doing this, I counterfeit my life, disguised both to others and to myself.

I remove my masks today, for the masquerade saps me, consumes my energy, keeps me tense, guarded and apprehensive. I take a deep breath and take the plunge. I can be me, the real me, spontaneous without disguise, intimate without masks.

I accept who I am: not a fixed, rigid, cardboard entity, but a person of will and talen and energy, a person of integrity and flexibility.

I can be myself today, freely, authentically and without pretense.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

July 31

DESIRES

TODAY I ACCEPT ALL MY DESIRES

Without desire there would be no growth. My ability to desire is the basis of my life. The stronger I have desires and the more clearly I understand them, the more effective my actions will become.

I will not shame myself for having desires that are inappropriate, destructive or unacceptable. By denying negative desires, I silence the "naughty child" inside of me that needs acceptance. I can accept all my desires without acting upon them or punishing myself for daring to dream.

Today I will let my dreams and desires surface. I will not criticize or inhibit myself from letting my imagination flow. I am learning self-acceptance as I release the tight grip on my desires.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

August 1

HARMONY

MY INNER AND OUTER VISION ARE CLEAR - CONFUSION IS GONE

The bright dawning of this day burns away the mist of confusion. My recovery brings a lifting of the fog that has kept me uncertain of my thoughts, my feelings, and my needs. Confusion is the cloak worn by alcoholic family members.

Today, in my mind's eye, I remove this cloak and leave uncertainty behind. I can be absolutely sure about my needs and trust my feelings to help me know. As confusion lifts, I walk forward with assurance and confidence. My vision is no longer clouded, so I need not walk on false hopes or broken promises. Obstacles are not put in my way to threaten me. Rather, my vision is bright, the path before me is lit, I see the way clearly and I walk in it. With a new-found clarity, I go in peace and confidence.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

August 2

ECSTASY

I AM FREE TO LOVE, TO LAUGH, TO CRY OR TO PLAY

I surrender to ecstasy today. I release the tight restraints on playing, loving, laughing and crying. I feel a joy in letting go, a joy in surrender to ecstasy.

Giving up control doesn't mean that I have to be destructive or abusive. To give up control means that I surrender myself to the experience of the moment. I allow myself to be swept away by a wave, with sheer delight in my experience, knowing that I will wind up safely on shore again.

I can always choose to run from the waves with the illusion that I'll stay safe. Or I can fight the waves furiously and cling to the belief that I can win. But while I'm busy fighting and being safe, I miss out on one of life's feasts - the exquisite experience of surrender.

I will not fall into a bottomless dark pit if I give in to the moment. The dark pit is my fear, and I can face it.

Today I will surrender to joy and know that my Higher Source is with me.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

August 3

CHOICE

I WILL FEAST AT THE BANQUET OF LIFE TODAY

I have a choice to make: life can be like a lovely five-course dinner, with each course, delicious, colorful and ultimately filling; or, life can be a steady diet of fast food - temporarily satisfying my hunger, but always leaving me not quite filled up.

In order to participate in a feast, I must become willing to change and develop my taste by trying new foods. I may not like all that I taste, but I can rejoice in the experience of the banquet.

I am no longer a child, forced to eat everything whether I like it or not. I am an adult. Not only can I be discriminating by my likes, but I can even choose to leave the table. Just as grace is said over every meal, whether I like what is being served or not. I can still be thankful and appreciate the choices that are before me.

I do not over-indulge in the feast, nor do I starve myself. With the courage to experiment and my capacity to be filled with spirit, I partake of the feast of life.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

August 4

CLARITY

MY BELIEF AND FAITH IN MYSELF IS STEADFAST

How do I discover my own strength? Personal power is like an electric light switch. Unless I put my hand on the switch and turn it on, I remain in darkness. The light is there all the time, but I must do my part by switching it on to let the current flow. So it is, too, with my power.

My strength has to be used or it withers away. I must have faith in myself. I must put my faith to work, I cannot experience the full wonder and glory of life by talking about it, or by reading about it. I can't call upon someone else's strength or live on someone else's faith. I must live it myself.

Anything is possible when my beliefs are strong enough. My faith in myself will grow as I learn to demonstrate it and live by it. I do not have to wonder where my power is or where it comes from - it is there waiting to be turned on, waiting to be used.

Today I will practice my faith. I will turn on my personal power and use it in my everyday living.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

August 5

APPRECIATION

I SHOW MY APPRECIATION TO OTHERS AS I FULLY APPRECIATE MYSELF

Everyone I know needs to be appreciated, even as I need it from all whom I know. To be able to praise and appreciate are spiritual qualities that need to be nourished by correct thinking about myself and correct thinking about others.

Alcoholic families are expert at finding errors, blunders, and stupidity in all its members. This kind of depreciation reduces all love and joy to almost nothing. Gradually, through recovery, I am learning to think well of myself, of my loved ones and my friends.

Today I will think of the people I appreciate and say so. These people are lights along my pathway. Their faith in me increases my faith in myself. At this moment, I will think of myself in the finest terms. I appreciate those who have helped me along the way.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting these affirmations, SJ! They've come in so so so handy since I started following this thread.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
Thanks for posting these affirmations, SJ! They've come in so so so handy since I started following this thread.
You're welcome! I totally love this little book!! I think it is probably my favorite book now.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 08-08-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

August 6

BALANCE & HARMONY

I WILL ORCHESTRATE MY LIFE AND CREATE BALANCE AND HARMONY WITHIN

Today I stand at the podium, I raise my baton, and I conduct my own orchestra. I am organized and disciplined, and I am creative, flexible and free-flowing. I know the score. I am the singer and the song.

In the past my life was jumble of discordant, unpleasant notes, out of tune and chaotic. There were many conductors- my parents, my teachers, and others who professed to know what was best for me. Their voices competed for my attention like an ensemble of prima donna soloists, each interested only in the sound of a single instrument - their own, their horn or violin, their voice.

But horns cannot compete with violins and expect to produce a lovely sound. The wind and strings must blend to produce a rich harmony.

I orchestrate my creativity, spirituality, physical well-being, sexuality, and emotions. With persistence and discipline, I create balance and harmony in my life.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

August 7

TURMOIL

I EXPRESS MY EMOTIONS DIRECTLY

My body is special. I will not manifest inner conflict by becoming critical of my body. If within me there exists a struggle between femininity and power or masculinity and power, I will not use my body as a psychological battleground.

It is those times when I feel inadequate, angry or depressed, that I might become too hard on myself. During these episodes, I might look at my physical image with distaste. When this happens, I become intolerant of my weight, my height, my physical presence. Perhaps self-hate and inner conflict motivate me to embark on crash diets or excessive binging.

As I read this affirmation, I become aware that my body is not the cause of the inner conflict that I may feel. With this realization, I will cease abusing or neglecting my body as a means of resolving inner turmoil. Instead, I will learn to express my emotional condition directly and articulately and avoid inflicting punishment on myself.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

August 8

CONFIDENCE

TODAY I CREATE A NEW GENERATION OF THOUGHTS, EMOTIONS AND BELIEFS

Today I see my life as a blackboard, and I can write whatever I choose on this blackboard of my life. Carefully I select my thoughts and erase those that do not bring me joy and peace, health and prosperity. I erase them lovlingly and replace them with rewarding, productive and creative thoughts.

I am no longer that which I have erased. I am what I now write into my consciousness. I am becoming what I choose to become. I am no longer thwarted by archaic beliefs handed down to me by my family of origin.

I create a new generation of growth-producing beliefs and behaviors. I take a moment now to decide what thoughts I want to erase and what thoughts I want to create. In doing this, I begin to take control of my life.

I approach this day with renewed confidence in my ability to change.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

August 9

FAITH

TODAY I WILL NURTURE MY FAITH

Faith must be nurtured daily! We live one day at a time, moment by moment. The secret of true faith is through meditation, thought and prayer on a regular basis.

Faith is belief. Today I will renew my belief in a spiritual power, my trust in my Higher Power.

In order to nurture faith and to strengthen belief, I slowly change all my negative thoughts and reactions, change them to affirming thoughts - thoughts which enhance my recovery.

In faith, I vanquish fear. In faith, I have strength to survive times of great sadness and desolation. In faith, I find a safe path through confusion.

My recovery is a testimony to my faith in myself and in my Higher Power. My faith is the result of learning to trust, to love and to let go.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

August 10

AWARENESS

I AM ALIVE AND OPEN TO MY WORLD

Today I awaken to a world of choices. I release the old baggage of yesterday. Each situation provides new opportunities to fill my world with new ways of being. My eyes are open, my breathing is consistent, my ears are tuned to clarity. I speak my mind and "Choose Life" as I move through the day.

If I feel dull or negative about life, I am reminded that I have choices. I can change my mind and my perceptions.

I sit quietly and breathe easily. I remind myself that I am the author of my life. I release the gray and am open to the colors that will refresh me. With each even breath, with each exhalation, I let go of grayness and indecisiveness. With each inhalation, I take in new life and vital energy.

Today I feel alive and open to my fullest expression.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

August 11

RECOVERY

I AM MAKING ORDER OUT OF CHAOS

How do I put the pieces of my life back together? What do I do with those misshapen parts of myself, the parts that are old, frayed and tattered?

Recovery is the art of making order out of chaos. A person making beautiful patchwork quilts loos at many different shapes of materials and puts them together to form a work of art. A quilter will not use every piece, nor will a quilter throw odd shapes away as unfit. An artist will examine each piece to determine whether it will enhance the overall beauty of the final design.

As a child of an alcoholic, I become impatient with my own healing process. I want to get rid of all the nasty parts of myself... NOW. Any imperfect piece I want to dispose of immediately.

Let me take a lesson from the quiltmaker. I will examine all parts of myself before I make decisions to "keep" or "throw out." Who I am is all I have to work with. There is no need to rip myself apart and start over.

With love and patience, I am learning to make order out of my personal chaos. A work of art is in the making.