Daily Affirmations For ACOAs

Old 08-12-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

August 12

RELATIONSHIPS

I SURROUND MYSELF WITH PEOPLE WHO RESPECT ME AND TREAT ME WELL

I no longer need to maintain abusive relationships. As I continue to grow and heal, I attract those people who love me for who I am.

I have no need to hide myself. I have no need to deny my feelings, or to disguise my thoughts and beliefs. I will no longer tolerate people who put me down, manipulate me or humiliate me. I am surrounding myself with people who are consistently loving and respectful.

Today I will pursue people with whom I can share myself in totality, with the complete confidence that they are accepting me for myself alone.

Today I have the courage to terminate relationships with people who are overly critical or not accepting of me. My world is populated with self-respecting people who radiate caring respect and consideration back to me.

~ from Daily Affirmations For Adult Children of Alcoholics by Rokelle Lerner © 1985 ~
Old 08-13-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

August 13

SELF-TRUST

I TRUST THE JOURNEY AND I TRUST MYSELF

Many times I have wished or prayed for things that have not been granted to me, but my desires are never in vain. Perhaps things have not changed as I have wished them to, but always I have changed.

There is always some change brought about by my deep yearning. Sometimes the change is in the essence of things, sometimes the change is in the essence of myself.

Oftentimes disappointments lead to new discoveries. Columbus was disappointed in his search for the Indies and discovered a new world I, too, have had disappointments, only to discover new worlds within myself.

Being the child of an alcoholic has brought its share of suffering, but through this fate I have reached a level of awareness that might not have otherwise been possible.

Each one of us follows a path to self-discovery. None of us can see the end of the path or how the path intertwines in the larger scheme of things. Today I acknowledge that my life is more than I have the power to see or foresee.

~ from Daily Affirmations For Adult Children of Alcoholics by Rokelle Lerner © 1985 ~
Old 08-14-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

August 14

INNER STRENGTH

I TEST MY INNER STRENGTH

I am a student in life today, and I test my inward strength. I do not condemn myself for inadequacies, mistakes, faults or failings. My inward strength allows me to focus on my beauty, virtue and goodness, and I begin to see the beauty beyond me.

Today I will test my inner strength by seeing the positive in each person with whom I come in contact. I will also expand my vision and pay attention to nature's beauty. With the help of my Higher Power, I will draw the very best to me; I will expect the best, see the best, and focus on my own best qualities.

I have come far in my journey, and I am still a student - open to new knowledge as my understanding of myself and others expands.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

August 15

PARTNERS

I AM FREE TO FIND PARTNERS TO SHARE MY JOURNEY

I seek partners in family, in friends, and in lovers. I grew up feeling alone - isolated and alienated. I was not meant to live in isolation; yet, in my alcoholic family I isolated myself.

In finding a partner, I experience the joy of belonging, the quiet ecstasy of mutual nurturing.

Reaching out to touch another's hand, reaching out to listen and communicate - free me. I am sustained and comforted by my companions and soulmates on my journey through life.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I use this reader, y'all, along with the Alanon one- 'Hope For Today'.

A great reflection, Jennie. I am still looking at August 11.
Some time ago I saw my world through a mirror. Then the mirror broke.

Bit by bit I put the mirror together, but it was no longer flat and cast light and colour in all directions.

You be honest, from my teens, I saw my broken-ness as a gift. That I was no longer a black and white mirror. Not even, as some people say, shades of grey.

But all colours, including black and white... just like your quilt.

Thanks.
DavidG.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

August 16

POSITIVE MEMORIES

I HAVE POSITIVE MEMORIES OF LOVED ONES

I am able to recall positive memories of loved ones today. Some of the dearest people to me have died. Today I am reminded of their attributes and their presence. Sadness fills my eyes with a feeling of loss and departure. It's so difficult at times to accept goodbyes.

When I am at an impasse, I need to remind myself how lucky I am to have been given time with friends and with my family members. God gave me the necessary exposure to my loved ones so that their impressions will live forever.

Thank you, God, for enabling me to capture some of the past - to make my life's adventures rich with experience. I am able to tap into the positive memories of loved ones today.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DavidG View Post

You be honest, from my teens, I saw my broken-ness as a gift. That I was no longer a black and white mirror. Not even, as some people say, shades of grey.

But all colours, including black and white... just like your quilt.
You know... I think I sort of felt this way too, maybe in my early 20's though... not so much in my teens. I looked at it as being unique or different. I was always thought of that way, and I guess I just had to learn to embrace it

Glad that you did too. Yeah, that quilt metaphor was a good one I thought.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

August 17

SELF-RESPECT

I AM RESPECTFUL TO MYSELF

I will be kind to me today and center my energies on my friendship with me. I will remind myself how close I can come to destruction if I totally give away my power. With the threat of nuclear war, wars among nations, and war against myself, I need to change my attitude and bring inner peace.

In my alcoholic family, strife was always imminent. There was fighting, abrasive words, anger and blame. Today, I say "No more!" No more fighting. No more bitter arguments. No more blaming. Instead, there is acceptance, acknowledgement and peace for me. I will talk respectfully to myself today. I will notice all of my attributes and I will be grounded in healthy directions. I lead myself to serenity, and I share my serenity with others.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

August 18

CALM

I AM CALM AND AT PEACE TODAY

To separate from the stresses in my life's daily schedule is my goal today. I will consciously slow down my thoughts and change my perceptions. Calmly and gracefully, I handle all that confronts me.

People, events, children, and projects will smother me and wear me down, if I let them. I need to realistically identify my limits. The only person who wears me out is me.

As I take charge and define my direction and boundaries, I will feel powerful. A renewed energy surges through me. I breathe in clean, fresh air, and I release tightness, fear and oppression. I feel calm and capable as I slow down and respect my limits.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

August 19

PURPOSE

IN MY JOURNEY

I have purpose on earth and I will continue to strengthen my direction. At times my direction gets confusing, and I flounder around, searching for my bearing. When I take time to remind myself that my Higher Power is guiding my journey, I feel tranquil and at peace.

Many times in my alcoholic family, my energies were blocked by my inability to separate from the emotions of others. When the alcoholic was drinking, I felt uptight, fearful and filled with anxiety. As I grew older, I began to take on the feelings of others as though those feelings were my own. I became fatigued, or consumed with busyness.

Today I will not live in extremes. I have purpose. I will celebrate the miracle of being alive, and I will feel the harmony that comes when I channel my energy into good directions.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

August 20

RENEWAL

I FIND MY HIDDEN STRENGTH AND LOVE AGAIN

Today I allow my Higher Power to take my hand and guide me to the land of rediscovery - rediscovery of my own strength and love that have been buried deep within me.

I will be able to use my strength and love to choose the path that is best for me today. Darkness will lift to let my power and direction emerge. The joy of daylight is here.

From my inner core of being, my strength and love shine forth today.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

August 21

GOOD HEALTH

I AM IN GOOD HEALTH

I am an expression of good health. All of life is mine to use with wisdom, joy and delight. My health is a divine gift that pervades my consciousness, my thought, my speech and my actions.

My life is orderly and peaceful. I reject all stress and tension. I am perfect strength and perfect action.

In the past I so often exhibited stressful physical symptoms. Now, as I set myself free from stress, I will set my physical self free from illness and complaints.

I respect my health and the health of my loved ones. My healthy consciousness never complains, for it is saturated with fullness and joy.

I am in good health.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

September 4

CONGRUENCE

MY THOUGHTS, FEELINGS AND ACTIONS ARE CONGRUENT

Today I am aware of the harmony that is developing between my feelings, thoughts, and behavior. There is a "coming together" that brings joy and wholeness to my life.

As a child, I learned to dissociate my feelings from thoughts, and my thoughts from my behavior. No longer do I think one thing, feel another, and behave in ways that are incongruent with both. Today there is an underlying unity that allows me to glean information from all my senses before I act.

I acknowledge the value of my feelings and thoughts. I have opened the channels that provide me with the rich feedback that come from listening, observing and feeling. I appreciate the unity that is developing within.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

September 5

ASSETS

I AM MY OWN BEST INVESTMENT

I am my own best investment, and just as with any good investment, I will daily monitor my mental, physical, and spiritual accounts. I will make regular deposits of time, energy and new awareness. I will regularly withdraw old patterns of feelings, beliefs and behaviors.

At times, I may become lazy, or feel hopeless and question if my recovery is worth the investment in time and energy. When my thoughts and actions fall into old patterns of anxiety and depression, I will remind myself of what life used to be like for me. With newly found awareness, I will no longer retreat into self-defeating behavior. The time and energy I spend on my healing is valuable.

I will not forget that my primary resource is myself. I will take care of this resource as a valuable, worthwhile and beautiful asset. My spiritual, mental and physical healing is a life-long investment of my time, my energy, and my love.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

September 6

FREE CHOICE

I CHOOSE TO DO WHAT'S BEST FOR ME

I have free choice, and I choose to do what's best for me. I will no longer allow my family of origin to place me in double binds. Sometimes when I come in contact with my family, the old feelings of hurt and anxiety arise. This may be compounded by the fact that no one acknowledges the alcoholism and my family members act as if everything is wonderful. All of the "no win" messages come back to remind me of how crazy I once felt.

If I choose to be with my family, I don't have to suffer through irrational messages and inconsistent behavior. I can choose to be with my family and detach myself from the old roles I used to play.

If I choose not to be with my family, I will not feel like a bad child. I refuse to feel guilty or shameful for taking care of myself.

Today I have free choice, and I choose to do what is best for me.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

These are really good! Are they from a book?
Old 10-22-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
These are really good! Are they from a book?
kiki, SoberPotamus is no longer a member of this website, but she gave credits/sources at the bottom of the last few posts...

(This thread is from 2013.)
Old 10-22-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
kiki, SoberPotamus is no longer a member of this website, but she gave credits/sources at the bottom of the last few posts...

(This thread is from 2013.)

Thank you! I bought the meditation book today! :-)