Notices

Class of March 2016 part 56

Old 08-08-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Kiki- good for posting. PTSD sucks- I would rather have teeth pulled. Seeing a therapist is a very good idea. I often tell people not to get hung up on labels. Some, it seems to me at meetings 'hide' behind a label ;I have this disease' . as a way- I suppose of trying to come to terms with the behaviours that followed them. 'That was not me- that was my addiction'. Some define it as an allergy, an intolerance, genetic, because of trauma. Yep- get that. For me accepting the label of alcoholic means I am not fighting the main and most important fact that I CANNOT DRINK!!!

Really great way of looking at things P. Thanks so much!
Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulRain View Post
Kiki you may be an alcoholic, but that doesn't define you! 😉
Thanks PR. Sometimes it SEEMS like it defines me. It definitely tries to ruin my life! How are you???
Old 08-08-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Kiki, I agree with Phoenix, PTSD sucks. I've just completed four weeks intensive inpatient therapy for my traumas, and even though I've come a long way, I still have so much to work with. And I do my best work when I don't drink. I need to work through the flashbacks, the nightmares, the anxiety and the intense horrible memories, not numb myself to escape them. If I do that, I will never get better. I want to have a normal life. And that's why I can't drink.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

FL, Kiki - I'm so glad you guys are making positive strides.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

So good to see you back here Kiki. As Bobbie said.. Welcome home xxx
Old 08-08-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Gratitude for what's been offered us in our lives softens the harsh attitudes we occasionally harbor. Life presents us with an assortment of blessings; some bring us immediate joy, some invite tears, others foster fear. What we need help in understanding is that all experiences are meant for our good, all bless us in some manner. If we are able to see the big picture, we'd greet all situations, large and small, with a thankful heart.

It's so very easy to wish away our lives, never finding satisfaction with our families, our jobs, and our friends. The more we find fault with life, the more fault we are guaranteed to find. Negative attitudes attract negative experiences; while positive attitudes lighten whatever burden we may be learning from.

The years pass so quickly. Our chances to enjoy life pass quickly too. We can grab what comes our way and be grateful. We are never certain that this experience offered now might not be our last.

Each morning I awake is blessing number one.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

The thing about PTSD- for Me, is to remain mindful that the memories are distorted perceptions and cannot hurt me, unless I let them. That I can see those events with the mindful clarity I have found in sobriety (very hard work for me) not to experience the emotions which I associate with them- using prof. support. It is the emotional component that has, at times in the past- left me overwhelmed and wanting to duck and cover, run and hide (generational coping mechanism of my FOO) and drink. Drinking would happen- especially if I felt unsafe- oblivion being the plan.
My beard made the transition to the new unit without any distress.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FallingLeaves View Post
Kiki, I agree with Phoenix, PTSD sucks. I've just completed four weeks intensive inpatient therapy for my traumas, and even though I've come a long way, I still have so much to work with. And I do my best work when I don't drink. I need to work through the flashbacks, the nightmares, the anxiety and the intense horrible memories, not numb myself to escape them. If I do that, I will never get better. I want to have a normal life. And that's why I can't drink.

Thank you FallingLeaves. I'm so sorry to hear about your trauma and PTSD. I don't think I knew you struggled with that. I'm glad you had the opportunity to go to inpatient treatment to get a "kick start" on your healing. I want to have a normal life too & every time I drink I take a few steps back from that goal. I don't want to drink anymore. :-(
Old 08-08-2017, 06:00 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
So good to see you back here Kiki. As Bobbie said.. Welcome home xxx

Thank you Mish. You guys are so sweet.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Gratitude for what's been offered us in our lives softens the harsh attitudes we occasionally harbor. Life presents us with an assortment of blessings; some bring us immediate joy, some invite tears, others foster fear. What we need help in understanding is that all experiences are meant for our good, all bless us in some manner. If we are able to see the big picture, we'd greet all situations, large and small, with a thankful heart.

It's so very easy to wish away our lives, never finding satisfaction with our families, our jobs, and our friends. The more we find fault with life, the more fault we are guaranteed to find. Negative attitudes attract negative experiences; while positive attitudes lighten whatever burden we may be learning from.

The years pass so quickly. Our chances to enjoy life pass quickly too. We can grab what comes our way and be grateful. We are never certain that this experience offered now might not be our last.

Each morning I awake is blessing number one.
Really loved this Bobbie!
Old 08-08-2017, 06:05 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
The thing about PTSD- for Me, is to remain mindful that the memories are distorted perceptions and cannot hurt me, unless I let them. That I can see those events with the mindful clarity I have found in sobriety (very hard work for me) not to experience the emotions which I associate with them- using prof. support. It is the emotional component that has, at times in the past- left me overwhelmed and wanting to duck and cover, run and hide (generational coping mechanism of my FOO) and drink. Drinking would happen- especially if I felt unsafe- oblivion being the plan.
My beard made the transition to the new unit without any distress.
I like that P. You're right...the memories can't hurt me. Sadly, the person who caused the most damage in my life still tries to enter it & hurt me even more (my mother). I'm trying to figure out how to manage that. I wish I could put her in a spaceship & send her to the moon forever.

Thanks for your posts today P. They really helped me and it's nice to know I am not alone.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:05 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beerbgone View Post
I know exactly how you feel Thirteenth. Been there and done that! We just have to keep swinging the bat. A hit is inevitable if we just don't give up completely!

That's my feeling.
And it's a very good analogy, especially to this once ballplayer in another lifetime. And keep swinging I shall. Thanks.

Welcome back, Kiki, good to see you. I hope this time it's the final go round for all of us.

Hi Bobbie, bbg, Sam, FallingLeaves, Dee, PR, and all I've missed.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hey 13th! Good to see you too! I hope this is the final round for us too! I'm really tired. It's like a nightmare I can't wake up from.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its good to see you back Kiki

D
Old 08-08-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. :-)
Old 08-08-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Wow! Just spent some time reading through my old posts. Anyone ever done that? Ugh.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hey all! I'm finally home after three weeks and back online. We can be somewhat nomadic while traveling, so I often don't have much internet access. My tablet even refused Wi-Fi in two airports yesterday--lack of security or something. OK, yes, I need a phone.

Glad to see you back Kiki. Your determination ensures your continued healing. You are gonna make it!

Onward and upward, Phoenix!

I'll get caught up with the #55 thread tomorrow morning over startin' fluid. In the meantime closing out day 33 with some chamomile-mint tea and sleep. Pushing 19 hours awake I guess. Have a good day/night everyone.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:47 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you Pelagiac

D
Old 08-08-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. Good to be home, good to be in touch with all on SR!
Old 08-08-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pelagic263 View Post
Hey all! I'm finally home after three weeks and back online. We can be somewhat nomadic while traveling, so I often don't have much internet access. My tablet even refused Wi-Fi in two airports yesterday--lack of security or something. OK, yes, I need a phone.

Glad to see you back Kiki. Your determination ensures your continued healing. You are gonna make it!

Onward and upward, Phoenix!

I'll get caught up with the #55 thread tomorrow morning over startin' fluid. In the meantime closing out day 33 with some chamomile-mint tea and sleep. Pushing 19 hours awake I guess. Have a good day/night everyone.
Thanks Pelagic! I needed to hear someone say "you're gonna make it!" congrats on 33 days!