It's all about me...

Old 09-30-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

You be very mean, we could starve. Dinner is already very late for all the time I spend playing with the dough. I should tease husbunny, add some coloring to the leftover dough and shape it into something, bake it, and then put it on a plate. I LOVE his expressions at my food.

Dont worry I wont let him eat it. Im enthused again !! I know you didnt mean for this to happen Butter, but thank you !!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

but he's mine

and i'm sure you would get in trouble if husbunny comes home and there's a cute, sexy, wonderful, charming, hot, chef standing in your kitchen!

haha i like your prank! Poor Husbunny but not that it ends like the oil-spray-thingY-disaster
Old 10-01-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Cleanin and Blue and all - catching back up, thanks for your wisdom on my last post about insecurity... I appreciate your input!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Dinner... A week or two late but my tidbit... I use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream - full of protein and taste the same IMO. I love to eat and love to cook recreationally, but hate making weeknight dinner for the kids. At 14 and 16 they are way more picky when they ever were as kids; it is annoying to hear 'remember I don't like that anymore' - I think they just like to make my life difficult . Love late night lasagna assembly, never tried it the night before!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Wow cleanin, so interesting the parallels between the range of emotions and stages both the addict and the loved one feel, I never thought about it that way. Ironic how sometimes it takes one to lead the other, and how reaching that point leads to the turn around and then better days to come. Your fam is very fortunate to have you and your determined dedication my dear! Xoxo
Old 10-01-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Earlier conversation blue and Allforce - not sure if you are referencing this, or if you solved the mystery - but I LOVE the boundaries line of books by Townsend and Cloud - some of the best I have ever read and pretty straight forward 'life rules' I think, kinda basic info but some of us never got that teaching growing up!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

So sweet about your dad cleanin - many life lessons in that little story!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Wow cleanin, oh my gosh so much challenge and adversity to overcome, how long have you even been married for all of that to happen? I was thinking not too long as I think you said it was second marriage. Life is sure not what we think it's going to be when we are growing up, at least for me- the growing up part was easier so my expectations weren't realistic. My bf says that's why at 46 I am still an idealist, optimistic and naive - I didn't have things happen to give me an edge during the formative years. This is in ways good of course, but also made me I'll equipped to deal with real life at times, screwy expectations. Cleanin you are tough as nails - and will be sainted someday!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Dang it I still have two pages, x days of posts to read, but cannot put off showering any longer, I already pushed it too far! Have a great day guys!
Old 10-01-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Wow cleani - just read your post of all that you have learned from the challenging life experiences / I am blown away at the depth of how you look at and what you took away from each of these experiences. It is truly inspiring and I feel like I will return to your words at times.

I dont think I am there yet with my son's stuff. I wonder if it is a corner you turn, if it is later after there is some resolution. I understand and know what I've learned and how i've changed for the better from my divorce and all that goes with it, from fighting a custody battle with my bf for his kids, and his/our battle with addiction; but I am waiting for that time I can feel gratitude for my son's journey. I guess here are tidbits learned already, but still at the point I'd trade those lessons to go back in time with him when things felt or seemed 'normal' - I guess that is the human part, and in time I will hopefully look at it differently. I do think if he can get through this he will be a more stable and strong adult, man, friend, husband, father -- so that could make all the struggle with it someday.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Agree with Allforce - love the quite and yet more wise words...

Tamales... Oh my gosh that sounds super ambitious - haven't tried that

Lots of garden talk the last few weeks - I wasn't able to do our veggie garden due to our move timing, but usually do tomatoes, lettuces - I enjoy easy stuff and winging it as it's too hard and time consuming to be patient with specific care... I did get dahlia bulbs at a farmers market around 4th of July and they just bloomed - I really didn't think they would but they are beautiful.

Butter definitely do a weekend alone to the beach, I think you mentioned. Alone time, away time, analysis time - best medicine I think!

Sitting in a salon while my daughter gets hair and makeup for a head shot for theatre - can't wait till she's on her own, acting and waitressing to make the bills, and then finally appreciates her parents -- someday!

Bf had excellent recap weekend - things feel good - feels like we are in more of a normal, long term relationship now; both feeling more secure and no more roller coasters. Takes time to get used to normalcy though! It's amazing what taking constant drinking out of the picture can do - lol . Just wish life wasn't so complicated with two households/2 sets of kids/2 school districts/2 exes.... Hard to combine with all those factors!

Oh yah Blue similar experience.... We went to a party for the first time this weekend, first time around alcohol. It went fine. We enjoyed chatting with people and left by 9:30 before it got going too much, went out for sushi. Having the dinner date to look forward to helped bf not feel like we were lame for leaving early, we had our own plans... Good stuff.

I ran today - feet hurt so much now. Was never a runner but what a great stress reducer and fastest way to lose a few pounds as an added benefit. Loud music... But now I'm wiped.

Son ok but things are complex and not progressing, too much to even try to explain it all honestly, but please keep him in your thoughts and/or prayers.

Bf and kids come on Wednesdays so I need a super easy dinner as I'm not in the cooking mood - any ideas?

Books... Love jojo Meyers - all her books - if anyone is looking for fiction, and they are all different.

Ok I guess I've blabbed long enough for now - hope you are all doing well! Don't know when but I'll be back!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Hi MAGW! Good to see you

Originally Posted by MAGW View Post
Wow cleanin, oh my gosh so much challenge and adversity to overcome, how long have you even been married for all of that to happen? I was thinking not too long as I think you said it was second marriage. Life is sure not what we think it's going to be when we are growing up, at least for me- the growing up part was easier so my expectations weren't realistic. My bf says that's why at 46 I am still an idealist, optimistic and naive - I didn't have things happen to give me an edge during the formative years. This is in ways good of course, but also made me I'll equipped to deal with real life at times, screwy expectations. Cleanin you are tough as nails - and will be sainted someday!
Originally Posted by MAGW View Post
I do think if he can get through this he will be a more stable and strong adult, man, friend, husband, father -- so that could make all the struggle with it someday.

I pretend i didn't hear that! I'm still hoping for my prince charming coming on a horse (or a motorbike would work too) and having the life I dream of!

On a serious note thou. i think what you mentioned about having difficult events happen during formative years and having tools for later in live is true. I went trough a lot during my teens and early twenties. Bullying, losing my home due to moving houses, bullying from teachers, i always was "different", mild depressive phase, issues with my dad, seperation of my parents, being stuck with my life... It was a lot, and sometimes i didn't know what to do and wanted to give up. In the end, i think all those things (similar to clean's post) taught me so much. I knew from the beginning, that life isn't always wonderful. That there are times that are hard. But i've learned from it that i will fall, i will fall many times, it's okay to lie on the floor and cry, but at one point i find the strength to stand up again and keep on fighting. However, i think what you mentioned about being optimistic and idealist. I think those are good options. I still believe in the good of the people. And i've also learned that being optimistic is important!

I don't really know what's up with your son. But i think, no matter what it is, if he has the support of you and his family he will make it through and like me, it will benefit him later in life. I think in those things, making it through and coming out on the other side, seeing that the storm has passed is one of the most rewarding feelings and has enormous pushing effect! I wish you and your son all the best

Clean? Blue? Blue did you starve? Please not! Allfor? Where are you all? I hope you all are doing well!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

MAGW is Back !! Woot Woot !!

Its nice to hear from you, and Im so happy your bf is doing better and your both adjusting to a new healthier normal. It sounds like life is keeping you busy. I will be more than happy than happy to keep your son in my thoughts and prayers. He is lucky to have you as a mom !!

What you said about past experiences, when growing up is somewhat easy and drama free then you experience things like with you BF it puts our coping skills to the test. This is exactly how I have been feeling !!

Husbands addiction and everything happened, all I discovered, just all of it ! has been the worst thing ever to happen to me, so much to cope with, decisions to make, tons of feelings, confusion. Im only now reflecting back on how I handled things during the crisis and aftermath. A lot of it, I feel good about. some of it not so much. But it all comes down to coping I think for me, and how I think about things. Ive been learning so much because of this experience. I keep thinking who knows maybe it was all meant to be, whatever lessons i need to learn Im trying my best to find them and get A's on the assignments (just like Butter!). I guess no matter how old we get, its still part of a growth process. I do know however, Im flat our lucky to have been given a solid foundation on which to build and learn. I know my parents gave me this primarily, then my education and all the experiences Ive had up until this point figured in.

I think you and I. we're both doing ok MagW !! I pray we both survived the worst, and will be given lots of sunny days in the future.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Sorry Im late !!

I got home and made the tamales for our dinner. I got the dough to float ! Filled up the corn husks and they looked beautiful. I couldn’t come to visit you ladies because I was afraid to have any distractions while I was working. It was good !!

My prank was so funny last night with the bad dough. I used food coloring to make it a pale green shade, then I shaped it into the shape of an apple as best I could. Broke a piece of cinnamon off the stick and made it look like the stem. I made other stuff for our real dinner so I set the table with all the sides and made it look like this was the main course.

He stared at it, and then asked what it was. I said it was a stuffed apple. He asked what it was stuffed with and was on to the fact it was not an apple. But he still thought I was serious out it being for our dinner. I was afraid he was going to try it, so I explained about the dough and how it sank and how I tried so hard and decided to turn the sad experience into something fun. He dared me to try it, but I couldnt do it !
Old 10-02-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

No one is here so I will talk to myself I guess. hint hint people !!

I was reminded of my great grandmother today when reading. I was thinking of when I was a kid she talked about how she got sick and went into the hospital, she had some kind of surgery and had to stay there for weeks. I dont think they even had tv in the rooms back then ! She talked about how horrible it was being there alone, how she had pain and they didnt have good medicine back then to treat it I guess. How people couldnt come see her very often because it was hard for them to get there. This must have been back in the 1950's ? and hospitals were not scattered all over the city.

Back then with what skills they had, what they knew they did the best they could for my great grandma Im sure, but now she probably would go into outpatient, or maybe one or two days max in the hospital. now they have better surgery techniques maybe it would have been done microscopically like the surgery my husband had last year, or maybe a robot would have assisted? I guess its made me think about change, how things change. How medical science has evolved. I dont know if addiction treatment has caught up with other things yet? but then society hasnt caught up yet has it? stamping a label on a person because of a medical problem, like it defines who they are?

But I did have some nice memories of g.grandma today, she passed away a long time back and never got to meet my husband. She was sort of a grumpy lady probably because she didnt feel good at the times I remember her, and I was a kid, but I think she would have liked him. I will have to call my mom and tell her of this memory I had today.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

I'm here girl! I'm sorry that your gr. grandma had such a sad experience at the hospital. I guess back then, things were very different and they didn't really care about how it makes people feel! I'm glad we live in a time when we have all the medical opportunities! Today so much is possible!

I'm glad you had some nice memories too! It's always to think of someone we lost with a smile on our face! They never really leave us, they live on through our memories
Old 10-03-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Hi Ladies! Happy friday!

It's quiet here... How is everyone?

I had a bad day yesterday and didn't get a lot of sleep tonight. I was probably too upset. Of course,i had an 8.30 class. Yay! So goal of today is survive the next two hours and then go back to sleep.

Today i'm grumpy butter!
Old 10-03-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Hello! Happy Friday!

Have you ever heard the quote” “Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” ― Søren Kierkegaard

"Turn your Test into a Testament, and your Mess into a Message"

I love those quotes Allfor! So true! I might steal one for my signature!
I just realized only butter has one.

Thank you for all your kind thoughts! I appreciate it!

Thank you butter and blue too. Appreciate such awesome friends!

I just love the way you two go at with each other...nice to have some comedy here. I can be way too serious at times. But you guys are teaching me to lighten up some.

Blue did your tamales finely turn out good? That is one dish I've never tried to make. It seems very involved. But they are delicious I did pick up a fajita dinner kit the other day. I have some boneless chicken in the freezer....so I might give that a try tonight. My daughter makes yummy ones....I've never tried making them before...the extent of my Mexican cooking is Spanish rice and beans, tacos, and guacamole. That's it...oh a Spanish casserole once that ended up in the garbage. Yuck! Hmm...MAGS trying to think of an easy dish that's yummy too? I think any kind of casserole (besides the one I made the other day) is easy and good...idk if your kids like tuna...but tuna noodle is easy. There is one I make that I just love and that is similar (easier) to lasagna. My kids eat it up whenever I make it.
2 cups macaroni (boiled dente)
1 lb ground beef
Jar spaghetti sauce
1/3 cup sour cream
1 or 2 cups ricotta cheese

Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
Brown ground beef in skillet. Drain any remaining fat. Mix in sauce and sour cream.
Spread macaroni (any pasta works well) on the bottom of a rectangular baking dish.
Spoon in and spread ricotta cheese over it.
Pour meat mixture on top
(Optional) Sprinkle dried chives, fresh or dried parsley, oregano, and/or basil across the top
Cover with foil. Bake for 45min. Or until cheese melts.
This is a recipe I play around with. You can even add...parm, cheddar, or mosserella cheese on top or in with the ricotta. Just makes it a little cheesier. (For cheese lovers like Blue.) If you like veggies, you could add onions, corn or beans in as well. But it's good as is too. Seems to be a favorite of my picky eaters.
Garlic bread and salad are nice sides to this too...or alone.

MAGW thank you for all those sweet things you said to me...Not too sure I deserve them though...because I chose numbing myself over working thru them which would have been the mature way. I have been married to my 2nd husband 27 years....My 1st marriage only lasted a little over a year. Not wanting to frighten our younger friends but stuff does happen over time...but I think it's being equipped to handle the difficulties when the time comes and working thru them as best as you can....there is always light shining at the end of tunnel. Do not choose the method I did...it only compounds the problems.

You are right MAGW I did not see the lessons I needed to learn until years later. I believe therapy helped me a lot. Although I have to admit that whenever we are hit with adversity, my hubs has the unnerving habit of saying "There must be some reason why this is happening to us." That's when I feel like punching him! Lol So, you are right it sometimes takes years later to see the value of what happened. I think when we are in the thick of it..we are to close to see any "good". Ha! Not only that but we need to see how it all plays out. I am probably one of those people who take things for granted or needs many wake-up calls to remain on the straight and narrow....so I'm far from sainthood! Ha!

But there are two truths I keep close to my heart while trudging thru life.
God never gives us more than we can handle.
Everyone must face some difficulties.....they may not be the same....but they are not less in severity.

The 1st one is important because it gives me strength to get thru my problem. When I know it is something I can deal with, then I can look to find solutions....instead of giving up. It also gives me peace (keeps panic attacks at bay) that certain things....I know what they are......will not happen to me. (Fingers and toes crossed)

The reason I keep the second one to heart is because it is so easy when the chips are down for me to complain that why so and so isn't facing the problem I'm facing? Example...why someone has more money then I do or why they have never had addiction problems? There are several reasons for that 2 of which could be they may be better at handling money....or made better choices in life. But that does not mean they haven't had to face problems in another area. Something I haven't had to deal with.

There is one thing I cannot comprehend...nor can I even come close to figuring out the good in it. That is people who have had to endure severe emotional and physical abuse as a child......so much that it has destroyed their adult lives as well. That I can't wrap my mind around...and have no answer for that. I think I'll say a silent prayer for those people right now. May they overcome it...and come out healthy and happy. Prayers going up for you too MAGW and for your son. Prayers for you guys too, butter, blue, Allfor .....and everyone reading this. May you all overcome whatever problems you are facing and come out healthier and happier then you were going into it. May today be an awesome day for us all!

Blue such a sweet story of your grandma...butter is right "they never really leave us, and live on in our memories."

Well I won't be around today. My youngest's school just called. She threw-up in the lunch room. (Sorry... gross) Must go and pick her up. Then my doctor's appointment is at 2:00pm. Then a few other things to do. Will BBL

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Old 10-03-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

I owe you all pm's. Im bad, Im late, but Im happy. Helping to support my husband in his efforts to live a balanced life, we took 1/2 day at our respective work. Went to see the movie Gone Girl, out to eat, took a walk, went to the grocery, and had a pleasant day together. I was afraid he would end up telling me he couldnt leave work. for those who dont know he works a lot, works at home, is always thinking of work. He is no slacker, taking time off and leading a balanced life is part of his recovery plan. Had to set the record straight there, dont want rumors !!! HA !

If you want to see a movie, it was a good suspense film. I made a post on the family forum just to say WOW the main female character, the gone girl stood out to me with big flashing lights with so many codependent issues. I think there had to mental illness beyond this, but the undertone was codependency at least for me. Insightful from this aspect, but a good thriller too.

Clean my parents have been married 30 years + maybe one or two. I need to check this I guess. They helped me a lot because my mom has shared with me many of the ups and downs they experienced as a married couple. Never had addiction in there, but there were many other things, financial, health problems and scares too. I think one of my highest compliments about how Im handling all this has come from my parents. They think Im doing a good job and are proud of me. I almost certain my dad had some very strong words for my husband at the start of all this, but he has since softened and is very supportive of him too. I know a little, and no one will tell me more, and I think its probably best its sealed and kept shut.

Butter is there anything we can do to help you? Do you need to talk through your feelings? I will pm you, give you a virtual hug.

BBL sorry short of time to reply tonight
Old 10-03-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

I copied the Tuna Noodle but need more Ricotta before I can try it