# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of August 2013 - Part 15

last part here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-14-a-21.html

D
Old 07-21-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Woohoo, part 15! Thanks, Dee for starting our new thread.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lol Kadi.. so let's see, it took 8 months to complete Part 14.. 500 posts, divided by 240 days = roughly 2 posts per day...

Our little group is small now, and some post infrequently, which I think reflects a successful transition past the obsession with their addiction. Others, sadly, don't come here at all anymore, due to their inability to stay sober. Many of them feel a lot of shame. There are many reasons for their struggles, and my heart and prayers go out to them.

Lastly, some of us who are still here, and probably many that aren't, have continued to fight with our other demons, and have had varying degrees of success in coping with, or healing those wounds. I had no idea what I was opening up when I decided I was "done drinking". Not drinking was the easy part, lol. But I have to say its been an interesting journey, and I've found a certain amount of peace and understanding that I didn't have before.

I just hope that those still struggling don't give up. Come back to the class and share, find resources elsewhere, but don't give up. Despite the work that remains for me, it has been so worth it to open the box.

Cheers all,
--Adv
Old 07-21-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, AV, I give thanks for sleep. What a demon insomnia has been in my life. Over the passed year I have stopped taking ambiane and sleep So well! That alone is worth not drinking. I remember after having several wines taking ambien to sleep. Lucky to still be alive!
Old 07-22-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Kadidee, thanks for the posting. It resonated with me, too. I'm rather new to SR and this is my first post to the class of August site. It's good to be here. A lot of this is hard, but I keep reminding myself that the alternative is much harder."

That was me, Oct. 24, 2013.

Wow. We've been through a lot together.

Tonight, I did something I've not done since my first year on SR: I went back to the origins of our class. There were two whole parts by the 20th of the month; the class was in its sixth part by the time I parachuted into it.

Very few familiar names in those earliest threads and none that I think remain involved in SR. Then, I started seeing the names of the dear handful that remains, chronicling the early struggles and first real gains. It was a thrill to see some of my friends making those early inroads.

Interestingly, as I looked over the earliest posts, I saw encouraging welcomes from members of earlier classes. Their names are all familiar; they've become some of the sober veterans. It struck me that in and of itself attests powerfully to the value our classes offer those seeking a new life in sobriety.

Yes, our number has grown smaller and our posts less frequent. I agree with Advbike that signifies we're reaching the transitions we sought.

Still, this remains a dependable home base, a place where we can call for backup whenever turmoil and struggles enter our lives. I find comfort in knowing that we continue supporting one another as the second year of our connection is about to give way to the third. I think, too, about those who we haven't seen. I hope our friends -- and you know who you are -- know that the door's always open and the coffee's always on. There's no test to be passed to come back in.

For we all shall always be works in progress.

Gratefully,
Venecia
Old 07-23-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Venezia, beautiful note. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nicely but V!
I like to go back a read my first postings . I remember the anxiety and desperation I was feeling . Speaking out on SR was the first time I truly admitted I had a problem!
I too would like to here from some of our old palls that were so important during those early days!
Old 07-28-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey, All. I am only an occasional visitor to this thread, even though I am a proud member of the Class of August 2013. I still spend most of my time at SR reading and posting to the Newcomers Forum. But it strikes me that, within the next few days, and over the next month, some of us will be hitting the 2-year milestone. My 2 -years of sobriety will be August 26.

So, let me be the first to congratulate those who are about to celebrate 2 years of sobriety. And to thank all of you who helped me get where I am today. I am so profoundly grateful for this place.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's good to see you, Firstymer! I've admired the sound, caring feedback you've offered our newcomers. Stop by these parts more!

In a week or so, I'll stop by the August of 2015 Class to give some encouragement. Pretty amazing to think there will be two classes after ours.

May we all have a peaceful, healthy and sober week.

V.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Firstymer, thanks for checking in. We share a start date of August 26, 2013 and it helps me to hear from others who started this journey the same day.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ornithology View Post
Firstymer, thanks for checking in. We share a start date of August 26, 2013 and it helps me to hear from others who started this journey the same day.
I also share Aug 26!
Old 07-31-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

August 25 for me. Currently heading back to SE Asia. The US is getting too expensive for me, lol.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey all --

Doing well on this end. A dear friend was in town, along with her family. We used to spend tons of time with one another, worked together and taking vacations together. She's married now and they have two children. Life changes when parenthood comes into the picture. They adopted at a somewhat older age so their kids are still in grade school.

We enjoyed a wonderful visit; tomorrow, they head "up north" to a family cabin for a week. It was such a nice time, but I'm feeling a bit wistful knowing that most of my closest friends live four or five hours away -- or more.

Classmates, I could use some encouragement. As I've shared here, one of the benefits of my sobriety has been losing weight -- a lot of it. I've had some struggles in that area this summer ... not getting to the Y as religiously as I did before. And, somewhat disconcertingly, having a lot of sugar cravings, which I give in to as often as I don't. Bad.

Cutting sugar out of the picture did me a world of good. Heavens knows, JDooner was quite the cheerleader in that area and I think he was a good inspiration for me. I'm not sure what the root of the issue is, though I'm struggling some with Mom's health situation.

Any cheerleaders out there? And a Dooneresque kick in the hind quarters would help, I think!

May we all have a peaceful, healthy and sober week.

V.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ven

I'm not the right cheerleader for weight loss LOL but the way a naturopath once described it to me seems to be right - be aware of your diet, eat the right things in small servings (as near to raw as organic as possible), and limit the amount of highly processed foods.

Make sure you get a daily exercise in - whether its walking or whatever - and 30 mins daily is a good initial target to aim for, or work up to.

I've been remiss in my weight programme too.so I empathise

D
Old 08-03-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi V,
Dee gave you some sound advice, especially the part about processed foods. I'm making another push to eliminate sugar from my diet, except for fruit. Mangoes are okay! So far my only slip in the past week was on the two flights back over here - I couldn't resist the free chocolate covered macadamia nuts on the Hawaiian airlines flight to Honolulu, and I had a cookie on the 10 hour leg to Manila. I know, bad.. but delicious.. lol.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh, the sweet cycle, V! I go in phases where I crave pound cake or cookies with ice cream, will resist for awhile, and then give in and buy it. But, once it's in my house, I will eat it pretty much nightly until it's gone. The only way I can stay away from it is not to have it in the house.

A couple things come to mind...I wonder if 'play the tape' would work as well for sweets as it does alcohol. What do you get from eating sweets and where does it hold you back or make you sad? For me, my energy levels are higher and more even when I stay away for a period of time. And, the less sugar I consume the less I crave it.

What about a short-term goal, like one week without sugar? Then, you can see how you feel and maybe have one thing as a reward and go back to a week without.

Do you like dark chocolate? It has very little sugar but satisfies the craving.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

As I understand it, consumption of carbs releases serotonin and dopamine, which are "feel good" brain chemicals, so we get a reward from eating sweets.. and drinking for that matter, which boosts dopamine.

In fact, a drop in serotonin can increase anxiety and irritability. Some of us who drank for years over-stimulated those brain receptors, leaving us short, so we seek out alternatives like pound cake and ice cream, lol.

The trick is to boost these chemicals in other, more healthy ways. One big way is through aerobic exercise, another is sunlight exposure. That's why outdoor exercise is so good for us. Yoga is great also, as I can personally attest, and I understand massage does the same.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Venezia, you don't want me as your life coach, but Dee's reply was spot on. Eliminate processed foods and take a brisk walk for 30-45 minutes each day. I have found this simple approach allows me to feel so much better, both mentally and physically.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks, classmates. I knew I'd get wisdom and support.

My diet is generally very healthy, with lots of fresh fruits and veg. I love summer because of all the fruit! When I got started, I eliminated as much processed food as possible from my diet -- none, or very nearly so.

It's the sweets that have tempted me. I don't keep any in the house for the very reason Kadi cited. (OK, let me be restate that. I seldom keep any in the house; they have a very short lifespan.) It's the little trips over to the student center for mediocre cookies -- and utterly delicious fresh ice cream -- that have tripped me up. In all honesty, I think this is connected to the sadness over Mom's declining health. I eat something sweet for the temporary high.

Yes! Play the tape forward. Applying that to other parts of my life makes perfect sense.

Exercise: Since writing that entry, I've pushed myself back into a routine. My goal is to ensure I visit the Y four times a week and I'm on track. It's also been beautiful here lately so I do a lunchtime walk.

Thanks, guys. It is all so appreciated.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey folks. Just dropping by, not a lot to say, some really great days, some really awful days. My mindset is positive overall, but quite frankly I'm just done with putting up with other people's crap, I'm POSITIVE of that.... Still not pouring alcohol in my mouth.

It's still a slow slog working through things I not done, or at least that I wanted to do, going back 15 years or so....

I have read a little. Sorry for some of you that have has setbacks, personal and otherwise. And I'm pleased for some of you that have had many successes.

Oh - I've lost nearly 50 pounds. No alcohol, quit eating crap, small amounts of exercise...

Dance in the Moonlight!