# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of January 2013 pt 5

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...pt-4-a-20.html

D
Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Morning Class and I'm the first post of part 5 and think I should try and make it meaningful....... PART 5 is amazing.

Don't start your day with the broken pieces of yesterday. Every morning we wake up is the first day of the rest of our lives.

Hope you all have a good sober day xxx
Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm doing ok but still feel hung over, it's crazy I wake up sober but the rest of the day I feel as I did when I was drinking. I’m sure it’s the depression and I'm going to work hard on beating it.

As much as I had a tough weekend something good has come out of it all, my husband almost accepting the fact he has a problem, his exact words was "I never knew I had a problem" that will do I'll take that.
It pains me to see him suffering but I have waited so long for him to see it himself. I more positive about our future now because these changes we will be making together.

I just need to get my January determination back to encourage my hubby to follow.

Woodhead I am sorry for your sad loss, stay strong.

Alison your doing so well keeping off the ciggies, I quit nearly 7 months ago and it is a real tough thing to do keep it up

Rosieblue and bounced hope your ok I have not spoken to you much this month, not sure about you but I think I was we expecting to wake up 1st feb and feel 100% better.

Thinking of you all January class xxx
Old 02-05-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Serenity there's a thread at the top of the page that suggests good reading material sorry I am hopeless at links especially from my phone maybe someone else can post it

I am doing ok feeling a little flat not thinking of any more milestones once I reach them after the initial delight it's ok what now.. Trying instead to do some work on sobriety for 15 - 30 minutes everyday to remind me not to get complacent reading Allen Carr at the moment not sure if I get it though. Sr is still my life line you guys rock thanks.

NewLife hope you find the perfect farm it sounds a lovely plan

Better go in work will check back later

Peaceandhappiness hugs sorry about the weekend stay strong and jump back in you still got to day 28 and have so many more sober days this year than days you drunk that's a positive you can do it.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dorris View Post
I'm doing ok but still feel hung over, it's crazy I wake up sober but the rest of the day I feel as I did when I was drinking. I’m sure it’s the depression and I'm going to work hard on beating it.
Hi Dorris, great to see you positive and great news about your hubby. I am feeling cr@p at the moment as well. It is like having flu all the time but no runny nose. A bit breathless, cloggy sinus etc. It seems to me to be a bit early for this to happen but it is worth flagging this up to the group:

There is something called PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) which affects us intermittently throughout the period that our brain chemistry is returning to normal. If you don't know about it, I recommend you read up. Here is one link that explains it quite well.

Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies

Not everyone gets it and not everyone gets it bad but forewarned is forearmed.

Sorry if there are any French readers, it must really hurt to lose to Italy in the 6 nations (hehe). I am going out for a brisk walk to clear out some cobwebs and then I am going to buy some trainers later today!

Hello to all my friends here! :ghug3
Old 02-05-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you B, It makes a hell of a lot of sense and I hope in time I will learn to cope with these paws so they don't hang around to long.

Make sure your trainers are comfy, something tells me your going to get a lot of use out of them.

(*I will start my study in a min, been putting it off since 9am)
Old 02-05-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So I posted back in Jan - was a couple of days sober back then. I lasted 8 days and then found the depression and boredom too much. Got to thinking about how I could definitely control the amount of wine I was drinking. So for the first couple of nights I had 3 glasses. Followed by a night of way too many, vomiting and regret. Followed by a hangover and then a return to my original 5 glasses per night and now I am back here. Will this ever end? I want it to but I am so angry at myself that I can't just be like everyone else and just have 1 or 2 and then forget it. The thought of never being able to just relax with a wine and not worry about it pisses me off. Sorry for the negativity, I am just sad
Old 02-05-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey all, day 37 here.

Went to a café/bar today to have a morning coffee. Was surrounded by bar signs, with lots of colorful bottles of alcohol behind the counter. Didn't have an urge to drink (and was never a morning drinker at any rate) but I did find it strange to be there. It almost felt like I was camped out behind enemy lines! I'm sure this feeling will pass as time goes on.

Hope you are all doing well and staying strong.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seekinga View Post
...Will this ever end? I want it to but I am so angry at myself that I can't just be like everyone else and just have 1 or 2 and then forget it. The thought of never being able to just relax with a wine and not worry about it pisses me off. Sorry for the negativity, I am just sad
Sorry seekinga, it can be very frustrating I know. Everyone else _doesn't_ have 1 or 2. The world has lots of people like me, who consider 4 glasses of wine a good start. When I go there, regret is around the corner for something I did or said. Usually, except for when I get away with it, which has always been my "proof" that I can make it work.

Anyway, I do think _today_ that it is easier to stay sober than get sober. Although it's early, a new voice is heard in my head. He says things like "Are ya kidding me?" when I got a mental picture of my picking up vodka at the local convenience store. I only have 30 days, (31 if I make it today) but I don't want to waste another day of my life.

Other days will be a big challenge when AV gets loud, but that's part of why I'm here. Have a good day!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know how you feel seekinga - I was angry and resentful and I didn;t want to give up drinking either.

But I finally admitted I'm a terrible drinker - and instead of it being the end I thought it would be, it really was a beginning...

D
Old 02-05-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sober1ck View Post
it is easier to stay sober than get sober
Excellent stuff, sober1ck. My AV will be dumbfounded for the rest of the day. Thanks dude!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sober1ck View Post
I only have 30 days, (31 if I make it today) but I don't want to waste another day of my life.
Well done Sober1ck on making 30 days (and the one today) that's amazing
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seekinga View Post
So I posted back in Jan - was a couple of days sober back then. I lasted 8 days and then found the depression and boredom too much. Got to thinking about how I could definitely control the amount of wine I was drinking. So for the first couple of nights I had 3 glasses. Followed by a night of way too many, vomiting and regret. Followed by a hangover and then a return to my original 5 glasses per night and now I am back here. Will this ever end? I want it to but I am so angry at myself that I can't just be like everyone else and just have 1 or 2 and then forget it. The thought of never being able to just relax with a wine and not worry about it pisses me off. Sorry for the negativity, I am just sad
Good morning everyone. Day 19 today. I have an appointment later on with the NP who manages my anti-depressant meds, so I will have to tell her today about the DWI. I'm really not looking forward to it, just having to *say* it out loud to someone, ugh. Especially because she's my age and cute and petite and seems like she has it all together. Of course I realize appearances can be deceiving but I just feel sort of like a messed up schlump going in there. I know it's not reality but that's how I feel. Definitely, 100% not going to drink or smoke because of it, just giving me a blah attitude right now.

Seekinga - I feel the same "pissed off" that I can't just be normal and have a stupid glass of wine with dinner like a regular person. BUT - that's just not me. Of all the conditions I could possibly have, alcoholism isn't so bad because I can manage it. It's within my control, unlike many other diseases. I do feel angry, but I know that won't change anything. We have to work with what we've been given and what we've been given is an inability to drink in a healthy way. We can still relax - just not with wine. The relaxation that alcohol brings is only an illusion anyway, because that fleeting sense of relaxing is nothing compared with all the stress and trouble it brings. Hang in there.

Bounced, thanks for posting the information about PAWS, very interesting.

Enjoy the day everyone, Alison
Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

good morning class. day 16 here and plugging away.

sober1ck: 30 days is awesome. congrats. I will be there soon.

seekinga: like Alison said, I too wish I could be the drinker my wife and some of my friends are: just have one or two here and there and be fine. My wife can go have a blowout night (she does this ~3x per year) and not have a problem. Mainly she only drinks if there is an occasion or special weekend. It's taken me a long time to realize that I just can't do that. And I'm starting to be ok with it. I have a few friends who don't drink at all and it's not like their not invited anywhere or don't have fun, or "picked last", so to say. Everything seems to be fine with them

alisonw: keep your head up. Just get these situations behind you and keep moving forward.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Newlife, thank you for sharing that beautiful memory. It touched me, and I can't imagine the way you must have felt finding such a meaningful connection to your father.

I have to catch up class! Hope everyone is having a wonderful day so far.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good morning class, congrats to you sober1ck on your 30 days!! Very awesome!....Keep up the awesome work class we can do this!...Just wanted to pop in and say hello, I'm off to the hospital soon, my father inlaw went in yesterday....Hope everyone will have a great sober day!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nel68 View Post
Good morning class, congrats to you sober1ck on your 30 days!! Very awesome!....Keep up the awesome work class we can do this!...Just wanted to pop in and say hello, I'm off to the hospital soon, my father inlaw went in yesterday....Hope everyone will have a great sober day!
Sending positive energy to the father in law. And you too
Old 02-05-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Good morning Class

WHOA! lots of amazing inspirational posts since I last logged in! I am so grateful to be part of this class, you guys rock and keep me going.
sober1ck: Congratulations on 30 days that s awesome.
Yesterday after my meeting, I met with my boss to do the tickets exchange and our weekly check in then did laundry and collapsed in bed. I slept 12 hours! I am feeling well rested today I really needed it.
I work a regular job and I also do some freelance work as a consultant. It's amazing in the 2 weeks I quit drinking how much I have accomplished (including filing my taxes wayyy before the deadline).
Like you YTF I had become really ineffective managing my home business during those 3 weeks I drank almost nonstop (and forget about showering or keeping the house clean!). I am very lucky that I was able to manage to show up and work at my other job and that no one realized that I was getting smashed at home thinking about suicide. I know that it was because it lasted only 3 weeks...had I not stopped, I might have showed up reeking of booze, drank at work or called in with the Irish flu and the cat would have been out of the bag.
So my reputation is still intact, my boss still loves me and has no clue I am an alcoholic and I am getting back on track with my home business. Just for today, life is good.
Am going to my home group this afternoon and unless something comes up, I ll do the SR online meeting tonight.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi there, I started my sobriety journey 1/1/13 (nice & easy date to remember!)
I'm feeling good so far - I have a psychological dependence, not physical, so I haven't had any 'cravings' as such but a few 'I feel left out, I want to join in'
I've realised I never really enjoyed the taste of alcohol except maybe (only certain) white wines, so that's made it easy to not want a drink in that sense.
I'm still feeling a but isolated because I've been taking myself out of any situations where I'd want to drink and be tempted. But I've just started going to group meetings which has been a great eye opener and got me to meet people like me!
Overall, feeling (perhaps naively) positive, but still very cautious not to get complacent with myself & forget how easily I could slip up.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny7 View Post
Hi there, I started my sobriety journey 1/1/13 (nice & easy date to remember!)
I'm feeling good so far - I have a psychological dependence, not physical, so I haven't had any 'cravings' as such but a few 'I feel left out, I want to join in'
I've realised I never really enjoyed the taste of alcohol except maybe (only certain) white wines, so that's made it easy to not want a drink in that sense.
I'm still feeling a but isolated because I've been taking myself out of any situations where I'd want to drink and be tempted. But I've just started going to group meetings which has been a great eye opener and got me to meet people like me!
Overall, feeling (perhaps naively) positive, but still very cautious not to get complacent with myself & forget how easily I could slip up.

Welcome. I hope you can sneak out from under that little black cloud that follows you everywhere and is raining despair. (anybody know where that quote is from?)