Notices

Class of January 2013 pt 5

Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by AlisonW View Post
AND I discovered last week that the police department in the town I got arrested in puts their police blotter on Facebook. Looked this morning and I’m on there now, full name, with details about my arrest. So not particularly happy about that. I tried googling myself and it didn’t come up but still, someone with more sophisticated computer skills than me could probably find it. So that was really distressing at 6AM this morning.
Alison, I also found myself on the blotter on Facebook, and there was something that I was able to do to report it as 'offensive to me/friend' or something like that, and it was taken off of Facebook. That being said, it is still in the newspaper's blotter for anyone to see, and that is also online, so nothing I can do about that. But Facebook has privacy concerns, etc., and usually you can get things removed. I know how it feels - it's embarassing to have that stuff out there.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by halfvictory View Post
as I'm feeling better and slowly getting the alcohol out of my system (it's more of a mental game at this point) I will need to face the demons of the past and come forward with some of the awful things I did to people - most of them have no clue I did harmful things but I know. Anyone else go through this? When did you confess? Or, are there some things that may be too hurtful to someone you just never say???
Half, are you in AA? I can't advise you if you're not, but if you are, this is ninth-step work, all the way, and it's something that should definitely be done with a sponsor. Living amends are one thing (staying sober, doing the next right thing, apologizing right away when you do something wrong), but digging into the dark, ugly history of your drinking days is dangerous territory and not someplace that you should go alone. If you're not in AA, perhaps talk to a counselor before taking this step. You might even want to consider having a family/friends counseling session or something.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Day 31 for me.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sober1ck View Post
I just downloaded for iPad and this is my first post. I have iPad that will not go beyond iOS 5. Seems fine but I prefer a real keyboard and bigger screen as my vision isn't so good.
Thanks, I'll try it again.
W
Old 02-06-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Are you still good, Reeny?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

thanks everyone. I'm so glad I have this website and our amazing class to turn to on days like this.

Sobrietygrl4, I will check and see if I am able to report the post, that's good to know. I think it would bother me less to have it in the paper because no one reads the paper anymore! Certainly not a local paper where it would be listed. But people do use FB and the internet.. and yes, it's just embarrassing, and I really just want to limit the number of people who know. It's bad enough without public humiliation.
SG4, I LOVE your quote!!! "You know you've hit bottom when things get worse faster than you can lower your standards" That's excellent!!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by 9yearsgone View Post
Happy Feb to all!

My confession, I had 4 beers for superbowl. It was "planned".

Yes, my sober day count starts over. However on Monday I did not crave another drink. Yesterday I did not hear my AV going wacky, even with a stressed out day at work.

Am I out of the Jan group now?
I motion that 9years stays in the January group. Like someone else said, some of us might slip at one point or another but this is the class where we all came together to help out each others quit drinking/using. We are in it as individuals but also as a group.

Good morning class,
Just checking in, I have a respiratory infection and bronchitis. I hope it goes away on it's own and I have not bought cough syrup. I am scared to buy some with alcohol in it! If I have to go to the doctor, I ll make sure to tell her that I quit drinking and I am an addict/alcoholic.
Otherwise not much. I had not planned to make a meeting today but my friend who is trying to stay off crack called me and told me that she would have a triggering day today and asked me if I could take her to a meeting so to the clubhouse we'll go tonight LOL
I hope everyone hangs in there and once again 9days, I m glad you are back!:ghug3
Old 02-06-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Carlotta, honey is good for a soothing a cough, as is tea with the spice cardamon, which tastes similar to cinnamon. Feel better!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

This is the 1st time I have posted on this Class of Jan 2013, my last drink was Jan 14th 2013. So I guess this makes today, day 23 sober - although oddly I do not "count" it as a sober day until after Midnight, because I figure it gives me something to hold on to & be accountable for & lay my head down at night & think about/ Anyone else count it like that?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobrietygrl4 View Post
Day 31 for me.
Congrats to day 31 sobrietygrl!!! Awesome work! ...and welcome to January class, YouRmysunshine
Old 02-06-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what the guidelines say for being in a "class" but I seem to recall reading that you either truly decided to give up an addiction or you did actually quit. I'm not sure.

I guess my view is that it isn't good incentive for a person to get kicked out of the group for a minor slip-up or a controlled, planned event.

In my own head, I have two goals. 1. Don't drink again, recognizing that this is probably not likely something I will achieve. Goal #2 is to not be controlled by alcohol anymore. This is the realistic goal.

If I had a drink or two responsibly, I guess I would not be too down on myself, and I would feel as if I was still within my own expectations.

So it sounds to me like 9years handled the situation right, and I do hope he sticks around with us.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know most of you guys are new.

I want to make it clear there are no membership requirements here

We're here for support - it's as simple as that.

Banning, shunning shaming or ostracising someone would go against that
That will never happen here

I think joining a new thread can be useful - it's good to be with people who are at your point of the journey IMO - but it's not mandatory...and noone will ever suggest you stop posting here in January as well - unless you wanted to.

We want folks to be comfortable.

Post where you feel comfortable 9years

D
Old 02-06-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome YouRmySunshine

congratulations sobrietygrl!

Hope you get better soon Carlotta

Hope everyone is having a good day!
D
Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am sharing because this is really bugging me. I have been having problems with my AV today. They keep suggesting that a warm Brandy with honey and cloves is what I need and that it would not be any big deal because I do not drink hard liquor (I have not touched any since 2001) and because it s a proven home made remedy and my grandma would give me a little shot of that when I was a kid and I would get sick.
I made myself some grey tea with honey and cinnamon (I did not have the other spice) and gargled with salt. I also kept telling the AVs to Shut the H up aloud..good thing I m home alone or people would thing I m crazy.
Finally I took a nap and I feel better both physically and mentally (AVs are quiet right now).
What is weird is that it s not even a craving, it s like a voice/stupid idea going through my head. I have been really doing good with my recovery but I guess they were waiting for me around the corner.
I am definitely going to that meeting tonight even if my friend does not show up..Today is day 18 and if I can hang on, I ll make it to day 19.

Edited to add
Dee wrote: "Banning, shunning shaming or ostracising someone would go against that
That will never happen here"
Thank you Dee **{hugs}} that s what makes it a cool safe place to heal.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I am sharing because this is really bugging me. I have been having problems with my AV today. They keep suggesting that a warm Brandy with honey and cloves is what I need and that it would not be any big deal because I do not drink hard liquor (I have not touched any since 2001) and because it s a proven home made remedy and my grandma would give me a little shot of that when I was a kid and I would get sick.
I made myself some grey tea with honey and cinnamon (I did not have the other spice) and gargled with salt. ...
I am definitely going to that meeting tonight even if my friend does not show up..Today is day 18 and if I can hang on, I ll make it to day 19.

Edited to add
Dee wrote: "Banning, shunning shaming or ostracising someone would go against that
That will never happen here"
Thank you Dee **{hugs}} that s what makes it a cool safe place to heal.
I also love what Dee said! Anyway, a voice is just a voice. Tea with honey sounds great. So does a meeting. Hang on SR friend!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bounced View Post
Are you still good, Reeny?
Hi bounced. Yes, I'm good and thank you so much for asking. I've been logging in regularly and reading everyone's posts but suddenly had this bad feeling that I'd been kind of pontificating in some of my posts - like I was making it sound like I had/have it all together! (Which I don't - far from it!) So that's why I've been fairly quiet this week...

Being in SR and part of this group is still keeping me strong and sober - you're all such awesome support, thank you. Please stay with us, 9yearsgone, welcome YouRmysunshine, and congratulations on 31 days, Sobrietygrl4! Good luck with getting your name off Facebook, AlisonW.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I know most of you guys are new.

I want to make it clear there are no membership requirements here

We're here for support - it's as simple as that.

Banning, shunning shaming or ostracising someone would go against that
That will never happen here

I think joining a new thread can be useful - it's good to be with people who are at your point of the journey IMO - but it's not mandatory...and noone will ever suggest you stop posting here in January as well - unless you wanted to.

We want folks to be comfortable.

Post where you feel comfortable 9years

D
Great post - and so supportive. Thank you, Dee!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Not fair, Carlotta - your AV bringing your grandma into the equation! I grew up on a farm and Mum used to give us whiskey, sugar and water when we kids had bad colds. (We also used to give abandoned sick baby lambs a teaspoon of whiskey to revive them.) So, I guess like you, Carlotta, I began drinking under 10! Good for you for having a sleep and for getting through this. Damn the AV!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
Hi bounced. Yes, I'm good and thank you so much for asking. I've been logging in regularly and reading everyone's posts but suddenly had this bad feeling that I'd been kind of pontificating in some of my posts - like I was making it sound like I had/have it all together! (Which I don't - far from it!) So that's why I've been fairly quiet this week...
Aww, Reeny, I like your posts. Nice to hear from you again

Good luck AlisonW, that's tough. I have never seen police blotters go as far as to give out people's full name? Being in the legal field I often read through them to see what is going on and it usually so general "an 18 year old male and 20 year old male, etc." Seems a little excessive to post someone's full name for that type of charge as I guess I don't see to what end they would do it, except to shame someone? Maybe certain types of offenses, but seems a bit much in this instance. Hope it works out for you.

Hey everyone--welcome to any newcomers and hello to all of my January pals. Hope this finds you all in a good place. Things are alright here. Trying to work through everything. Still seeing the naturopath and my counselor, but still struggling with making sober connections and getting to some meetings. I know that I need to do it, but for some reason I still haven't made the plunge. I am not a very social person and I tend to isolate, so trying to work past that.

I know how much I hid my drinking, but I realize I am also hiding things in my recovery as well, such as reading recovery books, coming on to this forum, taking supplements, seeing the naturopath and counselor. I finally stopped hiding and told my hubby about how much I have been struggling and some of the steps I am taking. And he didn't shun me, laugh at me, get angry at me, or leave me....so the world didn't fall apart as I had convinced myself it would Imagine that.

Anyway, a little scattered right now, so I apologize for my rambling. Although I am always on here reading, I don't always post and so much has been going on the last few weeks. Have a wonderful evening! I am working on a couple of reports for work, so tea is brewing and getting my game face on. Let's do this.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
Hi bounced. Yes, I'm good and thank you so much for asking. I've been logging in regularly and reading everyone's posts but suddenly had this bad feeling that I'd been kind of pontificating in some of my posts
Excellent stuff, glad to hear it Reeny. You are the leader of the pack and we don't want you going awol, ok? Now, how do you imagine the pommies would survive if the aussies didn't pontificate? It is what keeps us going every time the Ashes series comes around!! What, with you pontificating and Dorris procrastinating, I am going to have to come up with something to do.

I bought myself a pair of trainers and then it dumped a load of snow overnight and has been snowing ever since so my plans for stepping up the exercise regime is on hold.

My wife and I did a timeline last night of everything that has happened which might have significantly influenced our lives over the last 20+ years. We wrote down things like when one of us was made redundant, when we were under money pressures, when we had great holidays, when we lost relatives, when we emigrated plus loads of other stuff. What was really interesting was that there were only a very few instances where things were really negative AND we didn't manage to share our feelings with one another and work as a team to get to a new place. I think it is those times when I turned to alcohol as an escape and unfortunately, as we know, it can become habitual over time. We ended the evening by going over some photo albums and it was really nice to see how happy we have been over the years. It is so easy to get into a depression with alcohol and it gets really difficult to look back and remember all the really good bits. So I have woken with a resolution to look on the bright side (Monty Python moment!)