Notices

Anxiety is here and I'm struggling

Old 06-25-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety is here and I'm struggling

And it's only Day 1 :-(

I've worked out, changed the linens, did 4 loads of laundry and still have a lot on my list. But this stinking anxiety keeps rearing it's ugly head.

I'm going to try taking 15 minutes to do some step work and get my mind off this feeling.

I just needed to vent...but welcome suggestions!
Old 06-25-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Anxiety on day 1 is pretty intense do some deep breathing exercises it's proven to work just keep at it focusing on nothing but the breathing

Know that tomorrow is a new day filled with new hope stay sober with us have you been to the newcomers section and joined the class of june post on the weekender thread and check out the 24h thread to stay accountable in newcomers daily support section

if you need any help just ask congrats on making a day one
Old 06-25-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, severe anxiety is common in the first few days of detox. You'll just have to get thru it, and then if you never drink again, you never have to go thru that again.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks SoberWolf. I joined the June class and do post on the 24 hour thread. I've looked at the weekender thread in the past but will pay it a visit now.

Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Yes, severe anxiety is common in the first few days of detox. You'll just have to get thru it, and then if you never drink again, you never have to go thru that again.
So true, Least. At least I don't have a hangover as it was one drink I had, but still, this anxiety stinks.

At least my house will be cleaner by the end of the day
Old 06-25-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

sounds like your doing good so far.

yeah My joke with unemployment is like how many times can you wash your car? hahahha early sobriety is liket hat well how many times can i clean the same thing again and gain lol.

An early bedtime can help even if you dont fall asleep. Zen music helps me with anxiety. Also like various herbal teas where my best friend in early sobriety.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with you here on day one. I woke up at about 1:30 am today with the worst panic attack I think I've ever had in my life after a binge. Shaking like crazy, chest pounding, looking in the mirror with complete shame about what I'm doing to myself,...I'm feeling a bit better now, but I'm going to use that as motivation to stay sober and that hell is something I never want to experience again.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
And it's only Day 1 :-(

I've worked out, changed the linens, did 4 loads of laundry and still have a lot on my list. But this stinking anxiety keeps rearing it's ugly head.

I'm going to try taking 15 minutes to do some step work and get my mind off this feeling.

I just needed to vent...but welcome suggestions!
Well, you're way ahead of me right now. I haven't done a darn thing except get up, eat breakfast, wash my face, brush my teeth read my book, and check in here!

Can you come to my house and do some laundry and change the sheets? Thanks for the idea...I need to get out of inertia...I just can't seem to get going today and there is so much I need to do. Maybe the inspired "energy gods" will visit me.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
I'm with you here on day one. I woke up at about 1:30 am today with the worst panic attack I think I've ever had in my life after a binge. Shaking like crazy, chest pounding, looking in the mirror with complete shame about what I'm doing to myself,...I'm feeling a bit better now, but I'm going to use that as motivation to stay sober and that hell is something I never want to experience again.
Good to have a Day 1 buddy, Forward! Waking with a panic attack is the worst! It frequently happens to me and it seems that my whole day is off kilter because of it.

I'm glad you're feeling better, Forward. It is good motivation to stay sober! Here's looking to a better Day 2!
Old 06-25-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Well, you're way ahead of me right now. I haven't done a darn thing except get up, eat breakfast, wash my face, brush my teeth read my book, and check in here!

Can you come to my house and do some laundry and change the sheets? Thanks for the idea...I need to get out of inertia...I just can't seem to get going today and there is so much I need to do. Maybe the inspired "energy gods" will visit me.
Well, TeaTree, I just now brushed my teeth! So you're ahead of me there

Waking up with a hangover sort of lends itself to wasting away the morning. Since that's not going to happen, I need to put a time limit on my "me" time, otherwise I'd spend all day online, reading or just watching tv. I need a new normal...I'm working on it.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
sounds like your doing good so far.

An early bedtime can help even if you dont fall asleep. Zen music helps me with anxiety. Also like various herbal teas where my best friend in early sobriety.
Well, ZJW, here it is 5:45 EST and I'm in my jammies already, but that may be a bit early, for bed, eh? :-)

Thanks for the tea reminder! I love my herbal teas, especially chamomile and ginger so perhaps I'll take your advice and brew a cup to help calm me down :-) It used to be a nightly ritual for me...