Notices

Hey Guys and Gals!

Old 09-03-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey Guys and Gals!

So I've been drinking again since the August long weekend, can I still hang out? My plan is to knock it off after this weekend. Not much more to say except that I fail at Big Plans and I like to drink. Too much.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

no sorry you cant only alcoholics allowed here! oh wait !

Well its good your back I always love you posts. I hope you cut it out sooner then later I know when i think i'll stop on tuesday it could come nad go and maybe another 5 years would go by!

Good to see you back tho. keep posting!
Old 09-03-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear that Zenchaser. Everyone is welcome here, you should know that by now. You will of course get suggestions to quit now rather than next week- because quitting in the future rarely happens ( as you also know well, right? )
Old 09-03-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know. Quitting in the past hasn't worked out too well either though ya know?

Mostly I just want to keep myself checked. I know that moderation isn't encouraged on here, for good reason, so I won't talk about that. I don't want to fall into old routines.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi zenchaser!
Glad you are here with us. I have read some of your other posts and they are helpful, I hope you'll join the sobers soon we are waiting
Old 09-03-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Zen - wondering where you went to. Hope you get back on the wagon!
Old 09-03-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
I know. Quitting in the past hasn't worked out too well either though ya know?
Yep...that's why the best day to quit is today. That's what finally worked for me at least.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why wait another weekend to start your new life Zen?
Old 09-03-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know! It's just what I've had planned in my mind since I started back up that I would quit again after the labour day weekend. To be honest where I'm going and the people I'm visiting aren't drinkers, I was there last weekend and I only had 2 drinks all weekend.

Right now it's not the quantity I'm drinking but that I know, I know, I know what it does to my mind and spirit. I'm better off without it. I"m a better mother, lover, girlfriend, employee, friend, daughter, sister, woman, when I leave it alone.

I'm better off to have none than one. And once I've given myself permission it's easy to say yes more often than is healthy or"normal".

I'm still not sure if I'm an alcoholic. I've had some minimal withdrawal last fall but I was out of control from being off work and just laying around the house all day...... that's the worst I've ever been. I just think I drink more than I should and that I have a tendency towards hedonism in everything.

My son's friend just got caught stealing his dad's pot and getting high. The days are upon me where my son is going to start his own experimenting. I don't want a life of addiction for him. I didn't even know what kind of advice to give him? Just say no? Are you kidding me? Who has that worked for? He's not there yet but when the time comes I'm more inclined to educate him to know his drugs! Be safe about them. It is the reality of the culture and world we live it. And booze is the most evil of them all because it's everywhere and sold to us and marketed to us. I'm more worried about him giving himself alcohol poisoning than smoking a joint! For real. Again he hasn't tried any of it..... Yet.

Ah well the struggle continues to be the best person I can be. And I'm rambling.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think labels are as important as identifying there is a problem and doing something about it?

I'm not trying to pressure you, but I really believe the best advice any parent can give is be a good example.

D
Old 09-03-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I did advise my children to say no to drugs and alcohol. I didn't know how to teach them to pick and choose safely. I still don't know how to do that.

It sounds like you have a fun weekend planned! If you can enjoy your friends and family without the alcohol you're ready to give up that's even better. I hope you have a good time!
Old 09-03-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to see you Zen - no matter what. You can get back on track.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well that's a no brainer! Of course. And I set the good example of getting up and going to work at 4am every day and keeping a nice home that I own in downtown Toronto. I quit drugs when my boys were babies and cigarettes too. I'm no degenerate. There's no pot in my house for anyone to steal and the hardest stuff I keep around is beer. But I'm not going to argue that it's best if there is nothing. But I am not going to become betty crocker in the kitchen and join the PTA and start bringing them to church on Sundays. It's not going to happen. This other family whose kids stole his dads dope is well to do.... way better off than I! Sweet 4 bedroom home. My son is in the gifted program and hangs out with rich kids. I'm doing ok but I'm not wealthy.

I grew up very differently, I grew up biker. I won't get into it and I'm no victim but I was the odd one out if I wasn't using. They gave it to me. Not so with my boys. I'm just saying that it's out there and it will find them.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JK130 View Post
I did advise my children to say no to drugs and alcohol. I didn't know how to teach them to pick and choose safely. I still don't know how to do that.

It sounds like you have a fun weekend planned! If you can enjoy your friends and family without the alcohol you're ready to give up that's even better. I hope you have a good time!

Me either! But I think it's as important as teaching them safe sex! My thoughts are that they are going to leave the nest and live their lives but if you provide a good base they will come back to you. I've been telling mine that no one ever got addicted if they never tried it and that I don't know anyone who it did anything good for them. That all it will bring you is a bunch of nonsense and grief. To focus on school and dreams and kids who are doing well. And when or if I find out they are indeed doing drugs.... and I'll know. I will educate them on how to be safe about. Hopefully that never happens.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You're a good mom! The Betty Crocker taboo made me smile. I don't cook.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

"I'm still not sure if I'm an alcoholic. "

That is an honest comment zen. I'm not sure if you are alcoholic either. It is for you to determine.

If, when you really want to, you are unable to stop entirely, or if you have little control over the amount you take once you start drinking. you are probably alcoholic. Control and choice.

Some problem drinkers, probably most, can stop or moderate. Some, like me, can't, but continue to fool ouselves that we could moderate if we really wanted to. There always comes a point where the truth is revealed.

I hope you find a solution that works before too much harm is done.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
"I'm still not sure if I'm an alcoholic. "

That is an honest comment zen. I'm not sure if you are alcoholic either. It is for you to determine.

If, when you really want to, you are unable to stop entirely, or if you have little control over the amount you take once you start drinking. you are probably alcoholic. Control and choice.

Some problem drinkers, probably most, can stop or moderate. Some, like me, can't, but continue to fool ouselves that we could moderate if we really wanted to. There always comes a point where the truth is revealed.

I hope you find a solution that works before too much harm is done.
You have a point here. I have tried to quit and I have failed every time.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

erm...I wasn't criticising your parenting skills, or your lifestyle now or in the past Zen.

My point was you'd be better off quit, and that would be a great example for your kids.

I'm not sure anyone of us could argue with that?

D

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Well that's a no brainer! Of course. And I set the good example of getting up and going to work at 4am every day and keeping a nice home that I own in downtown Toronto. I quit drugs when my boys were babies and cigarettes too. I'm no degenerate. There's no pot in my house for anyone to steal and the hardest stuff I keep around is beer. But I'm not going to argue that it's best if there is nothing. But I am not going to become betty crocker in the kitchen and join the PTA and start bringing them to church on Sundays. It's not going to happen. This other family whose kids stole his dads dope is well to do.... way better off than I! Sweet 4 bedroom home. My son is in the gifted program and hangs out with rich kids. I'm doing ok but I'm not wealthy.

I grew up very differently, I grew up biker. I won't get into it and I'm no victim but I was the odd one out if I wasn't using. They gave it to me. Not so with my boys. I'm just saying that it's out there and it will find them.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Dee no doubt about that. It's a huge reason why I keep coming back on here... for them, and me. We're on the same page. I just wanted to put it out there that I am a lot of other things than a woman who likes to drink too much sometimes. Being a bit defensive I guess. Who likes admitting that they can't control their drinking? Especially a mother?
Old 09-03-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure you define yourself in a multiplicity of ways Zen.
We tend to focus on the addictions here tho.

(not trying to be funny)

D