Notices

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part VI: "Raging Bull"

Old 08-15-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

"Sehnsucht is one of those German words that it is almost impossible to translate adequately" and this fills me with a bittersweet longing.

yes; and it's so interesting to see words that don't exist in other languages. do english-as-first-language speaking peoples not have the emotions/states that are described by those words?

we (germans) also have Gemütlichkeit' which is un-translatable, really, and then there is the wonderful ''Fingerspitzengefühl".
Old 08-15-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

We EAFL people have to use shorter words, or entire novellas to describe such things. I think we all have that feeling of Sehnsucht.

Of course I'm half German, so maybe I inherited it.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Oh, very nice, very nice, fini.

You know Bovines has word: Moolaise. It mean feeling crappy, but not really caring you feeling crappy, cuz you not really capable of feeling, but if you was capable of feeling, you pretty sure you would be feeling crappy.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

"Moolaise" Hee hee!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Cow, you Moooooove me.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Don't know if anybody watched it because it only had like 2 short seasons, but I really liked "The Killing." Sort of had a darkness about it, but not in the sexy, boring, Hollywood dark kind of way. I thought it was kinda deep; probably why it didn't make it. Mireille Enos is an interesting actress.

I absolutely love the "Walking Dead." Started with the show and then moved on to the graphics. I'm a sucker for anything zombie!
Old 08-15-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

I know, Trach.
I has Fingerspitzengefühl for that sort of thing.

I not can watch thing with lot of violence and bloodsheds and killings and hackings and slicings and such, Boudicca. I not desensitize to this, and it disturb me. I even has to close eyes during gentle, innocent torture scene in show like 24.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I know, Trach.
I know, Cow.
We're working for a cure.

The Fund For Fingerspitzengefühl lives. We have golf, dart and pool tournaments to raise money for the 3-F.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Boud I really liked The Killing, especially season 1.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

GD, we know your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

No Sir! I not stand by while you defile my belove Guinea Pig! (even if it with classic Monty Python stylings).

So I watching episode 3 of "Time of Death" and is guy with ALS who was MMA fighter, body guard, diver, fire fighter and now within 3 year he no can even talk and gonna die soon. Yet, he happier than me. WTF?! In other story, children is reacting/non-reacting/fighting in response to mother's imminent death by cancer. Why is I watching this show? Oh yeah, because is freaking profound and fecund reality and I will no look away. It make me ashame that I have many (crazy many) chance to cheat death and have healthier life and I blow it, I throw it away. But moreso, it making me come to term with fear of death. Is important show. I find out was on Showtime. Seek out this show if you wish to be move deeply by situation maybe even worse than you own.

PS. Does not watch this show when you needs cheering up ...or on first date.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

And that ^^^ is why I love and pursue ( to no avail) Cow. The sheer proseness of prose that she udders...gives me reason to doubt reality.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'm in Germany right now, I'll ask about those words, I don't speak German but languages fascinate me. i like the nuances, the cultural stuff. I am told Arabic has so many more nuamces. I spend a lot of time in the grocery stores and reading menus. I find it's a good way to learn about the cultures. And we aren't just talking yoghurt here. ah, the things I'll do to entertain myself. I have one more week of the "Forced March" tour and then I have to go on vacation. Is there adequate nuance in English to explain the emotion I have about that bit of OMG Why Me? can I just not go to bed and listen to my tapes and watch the Walton's? no, I don't mean those greedy donkeys in Arkansas, I mean the ones in Virginia. Now, they were in a depression.

well, I have just few minutes before I have to began my rather lengthy grooming process. and there's breakfast.

Cow, I noticed Even Cowgirls get the Blues has been released again. My favorite book of all times I love Tom Robbins. his turn of phrase knocks me out. Still Life with Woodpecker knocked me out too. reading them was like licking honey off a spoon.

Love from Lenina
Old 08-15-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi Cow!! I'm loving your posts! You are moognificant in a moosaic of utter enjoyment! I know you are suffering from this disease but when you do emerge from this your gift will shine as beautifully as light through a prism cast into still milk. You have a true gift! As a writer, have you had concerns that if you quit you won't be able to write the same?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:47 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

GP I could not watch Orange is the new black either. Just too predictable!!

Cow I love a lot of the same shows as moo. Lost, Sawyer, swoon. Didn't you love all his nicknames? True detective, check. Homeland, check. Intervention. - I just binge watched a bunch of these last week, blew my mind.
My fav of all time is six feet under, what did you think of that one?

Gnight
Old 08-16-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
GP I could not watch Orange is the new black either. Just too predictable!!

Cow I love a lot of the same shows as moo. Lost, Sawyer, swoon. Didn't you love all his nicknames? True detective, check. Homeland, check. Intervention. - I just binge watched a bunch of these last week, blew my mind.
My fav of all time is six feet under, what did you think of that one?

Gnight
You know I really wanted to like Orange is the New Black....I did. I came to the same conclusion as you, Kitty.

However, I do think there are some phenomenal actors in the show, would love to see them do other things.

B
Old 08-16-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I know, Trach.

I not can watch thing with lot of violence and bloodsheds and killings and hackings and slicings and such, Boudicca. I not desensitize to this, and it disturb me. I even has to close eyes during gentle, innocent torture scene in show like 24.
WD is pretty violent, C baby. I think I am drawn to it because, in a way, I can imagine myself fighting through those situations. As if I am vicariously getting stronger by watching.......or something like that. Maybe if those good people can overcome the zombies, then I can too? Stupid and sad, but whatever works, right?
Old 08-16-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Cow our culture pretends death doesn't exist. We euphemisize it, ignore it, hide it away and don't talk about it. When my husband died young and suddenly no one knew what to say, what to do, how to act. This made me so ANGRY. Now I know it's because no one ever taught them or modeled the behavior for them because they were too busy pretending it doesn't really happen.

Loved Six Feet Under.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Euphemisize is my new GW Bush word.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gardendiva View Post
Euphemisize is my new GW Bush word.
It's a nu-cue-lar word, Diva! Just nu-cue-lar!