Notices

How much did you drink on average

Old 08-10-2010, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How much did you drink on average

I'm just curious to know how many drinks per day people use to or do drink if they care to share.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I generally drank a 5th of whiskey a day. This is 750 ml, also a 5th of a gallon. In addition to that, I often had shots of whatever else was going around (gin, vodka, rum). I'd also have a beer or wine if that was convenient.

Suffice to say, I drank too much.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hmm well normally I would drink at least twice a week if not more, and i would drink probably a dozen and a half pre-mixed drinks. 8 percent alcohol each. I'm only on day 7 of being clean but when I think about how much I drink it's ridiculous. Literally killing my liver. I hope I can resist temptation this time
Old 08-10-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drank anywhere from 8-15 shots of vodka a night, every night.
And I would binge them in a 2-5 hour period. I still shudder at the fact that I did that to my body and count my lucky stars that I didn't do more damage.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

About 2liters of wine a day for the last 3 years and 3/4 of a pack of cigarettes....hmmmm no wonder I felt like crap!

That was my average, sometimes a little more sometimes a little less, maybe a day or two off in my many attempts at sobriety.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

LOL! I can remember when I thought drinking a six-pack of beer in the evenings after work was a lot. By the time I finally said screw it!...I was drinking a 12-pack almost every night and I'd also had in my freezer a bottle of Vodka, a bottle of Gin, and on the counter was a handle-bottle of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum.

Oy vey!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me I drank either 5 or 6 days / nights a week- if I started in the day then I would always continue into the night. I'd drink anywhere between 5 pints of beer to 5 pints + bottle of wine or cheap cider depending on whether I had work the next day or how much money I had. Back on day 4 again and hoping to go to aa next week.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would drink close to a 750 ml. of vodka a night. And a few beers with it. And that would be after 5 PM when I got home from work. I didn't drink during the day at work. That was pretty much every day.

WOW, makes me sick just to write this. Thank GOD I haven't had to do that for over nine months now!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Between Friday and Sunday I would average two bottles of vodka along with the beers at the bar. It makes me cringe thinking I used to binge like that. My life is so much better now that I am sober!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I mostly drank at home, average three to seven drinks in the evening on week nights (depending on how I was sticking to my "goal" of "moderation"). Weekends, eight to fifteen drinks per day. I drank scotch and soda or vodka and cranberry (in the mornings, on weekends). I usually bought a couple of 1.75 L bottles of scotch per week and one 1.75 bottle of vodka every couple of weeks. I drank EVERY day.

Heh, a friend of mine financed a trip to Africa with the money he saved by not drinking. Sure made me wish I weren't such a cheap drunk!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

2005-6: 1/2 a fifth of vodka (375 ml) a night, five nights a week
2006-2009: 1/2 liter of vodka (500 ml) a night, seven nights a week
2010 up until May: 3/4 a liter of vodka a night, seven nights a week

The blackouts and strange behavior began in 2007.

The last year or two was when I truly started feeling like hell, every day, all day. Started curing the hangovers by drinking more the next evening.

I took maybe two nights off a year, when there was no way to get any at all, or I had the flu and felt too sick to drink.

I usually drank when when I had a cold and sometimes when I had the flu.

I had a four-year headache that started in 2006 and ended in May of this year.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My drinking progressed over a very long time
and eventually I became a Blackout drinker.

Most of my drinking took place outside of my home.
Therefore....I have no idea how much I drank before
quitting.

I never knew which drink on what day slid me into alcoholism.

It was enough that I grew to detest the woman
I was as an active alcoholic......

Quittting alcohol was the wisest move I ever made!
I've never regretted my AA recovery.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

On my moderate day/nights I was drinking 12-15 beers and then about 400mL of vodka 4-5 times a week.

Big nights and special occassions were normally with my drinking buddies. I would prime the pump with 6 -8 beers, and 3 or 4 shots of vodka or tequila, then we would drink pitchers of beer for 4 to 6 hours with shots of Yaeger and tequila mixed in every 30 minutes or so, then I would get home and drink another 400mL of Vodka.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

the first time i got drunk i was 17...from 3 budweisers at my buddy's house.

i drank for 20 years after that.

for the last 2-3 years of my drinking, it was either a half a gallon of vodka or a half a gallon of VAT 69 gold, daily....it was rarely less.

i haven't worked in more than 5 years, so it was a sip all day and chug all night sort of thing.

EDIT: i'll also add that i regularly took 4-6mg of klonopin a day, and when i couldn't get that, it was as much xanax as i could get in my body.

I can't believe i lived through it.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wasn't an everyday drinker....every second day was more my style...too hungover to drink the next day, I just wanted to sleep...normally I would have drank 2 1litre bottles of wine...or 2 of the smaller bottles..always white wine...I did drink beer, but got sick of it...I bet my liver is happy now!!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Binge drink pattern. I could argue that my daily average was well within recommended guidelines. I could, but it would be one of those lying to self and others by ommission that addicts are so good at. Binge drank 2-4 times per week. Stooped working. Progressed to the point I would forget to pay bar tabs. Took imcreasinly stupid risks until my ability to rationalize imploded and washed up here: again (among other places). Favorite poison was Steele Reserve ( pringles jingle goes through head "betca can't have just one"; I just loved the way it made me feel, something about malted AND iced beer made my neural synapses very happy). Created a "neat" speed ball effect when I would slam 'em after biking 20-30 miles. Twisted creatures we addicts are/were...
Old 08-10-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wine drunk

2-4 bottles (750 mL) of wine each night. Some substitutions here and there but 10-20 suggested serving sizes.

It's not the quantity nor the quality....
Old 08-10-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My husband & I would usually get through a 4 litre cask of wine a day.

Hopefully now my liver is recovering.

J x
Old 08-10-2010, 03:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Striving to be a better Man!

I drank roughly 9 quarts (3 tall six packs) of strong beer a day. I would usually have 3 mornings a day. I had no job and no responsibilities so I would drink/sleep, repeat.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I drank every night. If I was at home I would drink a bottle of wine (usually I would finish it all.) If out, I'd have anywhere from 4-6 drinks depending on where I was and what I was doing.

Occasionally, I'd feel like crap and vow to lay off for a day, but for me that usually just meant 2-3 drinks instead of the usual 5-6. It was very, very tough for me to go a day with NO drinking.

I usually didn't drink before 5pm (and I'd tell myself this meant I was a normal drinker), but if I was able to get one in before that in a "socially acceptable" way, I always did (like over a lunch where others were drinking, or at a daytime weekend event like a baseball game.)

Reading the thread over, it seems like I didn't drink as much as others who posted before me... but I know I had a problem. I couldn't go a day without alcohol, and I behaved like a complete monster when I had too much. I blacked out a lot and would have fights with my husband that I couldn't even remember the next day. The problem was that I never knew when something bad was going to happen. We'd go out and I'd plan to just have a few drinks, but I would never know when it would lead to just a sloshy good time and when disaster would strike. That's why I decided to stop.