Notices

My road to recovery.

Old 08-16-2005, 04:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

My road to recovery.

My road to recovery started here at SR, and is all I have used thus far. I did a search on google to see how long it would take to feel the effects of not smoking cigarettes. That landed me here.

Before I found this site, and then read my life long story on addictions, lived, and written by other people. I never would have admitted to having a addiction problem.

I have had issues with just about any kind of drug you can name. I could quit any of the "hard drugs" and just smoke my pot. I have had more difficulty laying down the pot then any other drug.

But just smoking pot was no big deal right? I had smoked pot for 37 years, daily for over 30 years. I suspect if I had never smoked pot I would have never touched the other drugs.

When I began reading all the posts on drug addiction I began to realize that I was not where I wanted to be in life. Not any one thing in particular. I just was not happy if I wasn’t stoned. I was stuck in a rut big time.

Wasting my life away would be an accurate description. We quit smoking cigarettes in March 2005, pot on April 30, 2005.

Physically I was in fairly good health, I thought. I had allergy problems, that I was treating with medication. Today after I have quit smoking pot and cigarettes, I no longer need allergy medication.

I believe in God, but do not attend church. I do believe in taking care of, and being loyal to your spouse and family is the biggest requirement God has on your acceptance to Heaven. In July we celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary. The first one clean/sober.

Today I feel better than I ever have. I have rebuilt my home workshop that I had been putting off for 20 years. I am self employed, so this is something that will benefit my business, as well as myself. I am writhing a book on my industry that I was asked to write over 10 years ago. I have submitted my first magazine article in 9 years.

My wife and I have been doing a bunch of cooking together at home. I am finishing a new wooden boat for my wife and our Chihuahua. They will have nothing to do with my vintage race boat on the left. (grin)

So searching for cigarette info was what landed me here and got me to look at my other addictions. Reading your life story written, and lived by others is a very powerful thing.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Drunk taking a day off!

Wow, thank you bob for sharing that! I'm a week off cigs today after being 4 1/2 years off all the hard stuff (that includes pot!) and I have been close to buying a pack today - I needed to read that! Please tell me there are a few young men in the world that still have those values about family?!?! (lol)
Old 09-17-2005, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

bump