Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Where Were You?
Reload this Page >

From very nearly die due to alcohol and they way out without programs or a.a.

Notices

Old 04-28-2023, 11:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please don't think the title is a good idea, it really isent.. But it had.worked for me so far.

Don't really know exactly know when I stumbled upon this site, sure was drinking heavily, almost destroying everything but never quite managed to **** up really bad. But it just made me into a grey version nothing was interesting or matterd, well.the drink to kill the shakes did. I lost my relationship and didn't really care, luckily she remembered the real me and stuck around as a friend and a monumental help for me. In a way she pushed me over the edge but caught me on the otherside to make sure I atleast survived. Anyway long story short, I've no memory of how or why but woke up at the hospital after a 11 day ICU coma because of various alcohol related things, none any good.

That apperantly would be the last straw and been sober ever since, was at the hospital for a bit but when I got home I probably read most of the forums here mainly but alot of similar ones as well trying to learn as much as possible even started reading scientific papers and so. Turns out there are many of us with alot of knowledge and well plenty of, probably quite hard earned field experience too..

I never attended a.a or any other program, I found my own path that has worked very well for me, learning and putting things together and connecting the dots when comparing other people stories is what helped me the most along with the support of more close friends and family than I deserve, really. Some may not like it but I owe them all a part of recovery and a total relapse is not an option, I'd like that neither is a relapse but i feel.that is setting yourself up for the shame and the guilt, and every shape, color, size of hell just for you, rather do classic.plan for it to.happen but do the work to ensure it dosent. The ones closest knows its a possibility and I know if it comes to that I can ask for help without any stigma. Someone who sufferd too much because of this and parts of her might be lost forever, for reasons beyond my understanding is still close even if distant, but close enough that the chaos that comes woth the bottle would burn her and again something I wont allow.

Anyway all of this has made it easy once i past the turning point and I would recomend every one whos lucky to still have a handful of closefriends when you're over 30th to take good care of them. It makes all the difference and if you **** up as badly as me and they still stick around in recovery I hope you find the same fire I did to get back home.

im one year in now and confident in my sobriety and myself overall, still browse forums but less frequently but thought I'd add something atleast.

Don't know if it made much sence. Probably should know better than to post dead tired in the middle of the night.but my sleep is still messed up anyway.
Old 04-29-2023, 02:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the posting side of things and congrats on your year.

D
Old 04-29-2023, 04:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome to the posting side of things and congrats on your year.

D
Thank you, its pretty neat noticing the improvents stil happening that I used to read about and think just good for them because it wasn't even remotely close to the realm of possibilities for me.

And I'll probably go back to lurking, I've already managed to upset some folks over at the aa reddit so it's a rocky start at best
Old 04-29-2023, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Country - glad you posted.
Congrats on your hard-earned 1 yr. sober. You're doing great.