Notices

Is moderate Drinking ever an Option?

Old 08-07-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Is moderate Drinking ever an Option?

Perhaps the nature of the beast makes for an oxymoron regarding this question.
AA seems to suggest that'special people'can drink lightly,even moderately, as they do not suffer the disease of alcoholism. Perhaps this is true. At such meetings alkies see the first drink as the precursor to uncontrollable drunkenness and on going misery. I must say, over two years ago, and still, I find the 'normal drinkers' message odd.

The most rigid drinking restrictions relevant to health issues in Australia suggests a daily maximum of one standard drink for a woman and two for a man, arbitrary units of alcohol. . There are more liberal recommendations. I would argue that so called normal drinking goes far beyond this with the imbibers feeling quite safe and secure. Are these folk really secure in that attitude?

As for any social benefits from alcohol, these seem far outweighed by the risks of health concerns, violence, madness,potential driving issues and many other factors. Claims as to a little alcohol helping with cholesterol problems usually ignores the fact that exercise and better food choices would be far better. Alcoholic beverages are also linked to several cancers, another factor negating so called heart benefits.

I note in this country that alcoholic beverages are being marketed with indecent vigour and the market is geared allegedly to the normal drinker. Family violence is rampant, the road toll is expected,drunks don't turn up for work, and our politicians look for answers. While prohibition never worked, and some questionably may be able to control their one, two, or four,perhaps the accepted needs for such, along with the ramifications of' normal social drinking' need further addressing.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think education is the better tool, Bub.
Prohibition never stopped anyone drinking.

D
Old 08-07-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Indeed. If people want to alter their reality, they'll do so. From an economic standpoint, prohibition usually just leads to a black market and all the difficulties attached.

I also find the thought exercise about other people and moderate drinking to be fruitless. How others lead their lives is none of my business and hardly helps my personal responsibility regarding my recovery. Others can, I can't. Move along, Austin, nothing to see here.

"Always Believe!" -The Ultimate Warrior
Old 08-09-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you checked out alcohol concern they educate do stuff like shut off inappropiate drinking ads aimed at ppl not legal to drink via social media they have done and still do quite a bit i cant link it as my phone is acting up but google alcohol concern
Old 08-11-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Heavy drinking does not automatically mean alcoholism. For me, a "normal drinking" has not so much to do with the amount, but as to whether once a person starts drinking, they then start to crave and obsess about alcohol. My last night of drinking, all bets were off...once I started, I couldn't stop. I ended up in a 4 hour black out. Even though I knew I had to go to work the next day and that my job was in the balance due to my drinking. That is not "normal", "sane" behaviour around drinking.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleDan View Post
Heavy drinking does not automatically mean alcoholism. For me, a "normal drinking" has not so much to do with the amount, but as to whether once a person starts drinking, they then start to crave and obsess about alcohol. My last night of drinking, all bets were off...once I started, I couldn't stop. I ended up in a 4 hour black out. Even though I knew I had to go to work the next day and that my job was in the balance due to my drinking. That is not "normal", "sane" behaviour around drinking.
Once I start drinking I can't stop either, it's rare when I do and call it a night.
This is why I decided I can't keep this up.