Notices

From Special brew to whiskey

Old 05-15-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

From Special brew to whiskey

Special brew is really strong lager 9% . That's what I used to drink when I found sr and still do. The mistake I made years ago was to start drinking whisky. You might ask "Why, isn't special brew strong enough for you? At that time I was bored and wanted something stronger and whisky was what I started to drink. I was just able to cope with the brew but the whisky 40% strong NO WAY! It's all about mathematics my drink problem got much, much worse. Happily I don't drink whiskey anymore knowing my mistake.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to think I was ok cos I never drank spirits and drinking 'only beer was ok', but I still nearly killed myself on it.

Alcohol is alcohol.

If you want to stop drinking completely, you've come to the right place verysober

D
Old 05-15-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I would have been happy with a vodka IV drip
Old 05-16-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I hear you very sober!!

I was a Guinness man, thought even, this is good for you !! full of Iron and vitamins,,,
How wrong I was.... after drink 15-20 pints a day for years ...my body hit the wall... please God help me recover soon ..
Old 05-17-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too drink everyday, but I've managed to start my drinking later in the day. Hope you recover.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think I have tried almost every trick and drink in the book. For me it was more about what made me pass out quicker, and what was easier on my stomach to digest. In the end, Nothing works for me, Just avoidance.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can either drink everything in sight or nothing.

No splitting the difference for me.

I'm too far gone to be able to drink anything at all.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah the "just one or two drinks" thing never worked out for me. When I started drinking I wanted to get drunk.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have never been able to have just one. I watch some of my friends stop after a few drinks and I am always so envious. I know for me the only way is no alcohol..... Period!
Old 06-18-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Anyone manage to quit for a week or so and then resent the fact that you "can't"get drunk anymore? As in "what is the harm" just one night wasted then starting over. I am done with drinking, and really enjoy my mornings and days sober, but gave up my week sober last night for no good reason. It doesn't make sense.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Regardless of what you drink, it's the mind that has to overcome addiction along with the body. Your mind does not care what % of alcohol you have, just that it has a need and you fulfill it. It's having an addictive personality that is the hardest to overcome in my opinion and in what I have heard and learned.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by verysober View Post
Special brew is really strong lager 9% . That's what I used to drink when I found sr and still do. The mistake I made years ago was to start drinking whisky. You might ask "Why, isn't special brew strong enough for you? At that time I was bored and wanted something stronger and whisky was what I started to drink. I was just able to cope with the brew but the whisky 40% strong NO WAY! It's all about mathematics my drink problem got much, much worse. Happily I don't drink whiskey anymore knowing my mistake.
You can drown in a deep lake or a shallow pond, volume does not matter in my opinion.
Take care my friend.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewFighter View Post
Anyone manage to quit for a week or so and then resent the fact that you "can't"get drunk anymore? As in "what is the harm" just one night wasted then starting over. I am done with drinking, and really enjoy my mornings and days sober, but gave up my week sober last night for no good reason. It doesn't make sense.
Newfighter...I know what you mean. Your addiction is just doing what its good at. I've lost count of the number of times that I gave up, full of resolve only to start drinking again a few days or weeks later for 'no good reason'. Its only when I was on the brink of losing everything - my family, my job, my home that I finally surrendered to the fact that i cant beat alcohol - ever. My addiction is so much stronger that I am. That moment of surrender is so important, it felt like I had been drowning and finally surfaced for air. I'm now in the early stages of recovery (3 months) but everything feels completely different to the other times that I tried to quit. Stick at it and I wish you the best of luck.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Mac1 View Post
Newfighter...I know what you mean. Your addiction is just doing what its good at. I've lost count of the number of times that I gave up, full of resolve only to start drinking again a few days or weeks later for 'no good reason'. Its only when I was on the brink of losing everything - my family, my job, my home that I finally surrendered to the fact that i cant beat alcohol - ever. My addiction is so much stronger that I am. That moment of surrender is so important, it felt like I had been drowning and finally surfaced for air. I'm now in the early stages of recovery (3 months) but everything feels completely different to the other times that I tried to quit. Stick at it and I wish you the best of luck.

Well done on 3 months Mac1, excellent job indeed.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by verysober View Post
I too drink everyday, but I've managed to start my drinking later in the day. Hope you recover.

How many do you drink on a daily basis?